The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Zadorov Shares Some Insight Into Nate MacKinnon

Rate this topic

-DLC-

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Exactly. A team is a group of individuals united in a common goal. Mackinnon's actions seem eerily familiar to some coaches who are referred to as fossils in the league now. 

I guess players respect MacKinnon more because he doesn't just talk the talk, but he walks the walk too. Coaches are just easy targets for scrutiny.

3 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Maybe the comparisons to Jordan should be quelled until MacKinnon actually wins the Stanley Cup, seeing as how Jordan won 6 NBA championships.

The comparison was based on attitude and personality and nothing to do with personal achievement

• RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, buddhahoodlum said:

I was just gonna make that comparison. Players aren't dumb. They know when they've made a bad play/pass. If I had someone screaming at me, especially in practice, for a little mistake, I'd quickly lose any and all respect for them. And telling your teammates what to eat? WTF is that about?  And since Colorado hasn't won anything with Mackinnon, he needs to tone things down a bit. I'd end up punching him in the face if I was on that team. 

That type of player can (if to extreme) derail a team.  That sort of behavior also seems to undermine the coach. 

Curious if when NM gets older and starts to lose his skill how he would react to someone doing that to him. 

I find it interesting tbh.  Group dynamics vary and it's the highest competitive hockey league in the world.  Definitely has its pros and cons, but one thing is for sure that it establishes a culture and sets the standard.  Some might argue it's too demanding or toxic and that's fair-some players don't necessarily want or need that type of environment.  Maybe you'll hear about former AVs that didn't want to play with NM but time will tell.  I'd be curious about who are the guys that pick people up if/when NM demanding ways get to people.  All part of the group dynamics.

• Cheers 1

yo can u imagine if Sakic trades for Phil Kessel, and when he misses a pass, Mac just turns heel and skates over with a bunch of hot dogs from concession, and pins Phil down and calls him a walrus, while shoving hot dogs in his face

Edited by Twilight Sparkle

1 hour ago, Baer. said:

The comparison was based on attitude and personality and nothing to do with personal achievement

Which IMO makes it a particularly unflattering comparison. 

Some players fail to find the balance between leading and forcing. Maybe it won't matter if the team has success and everyone is willing to sacrifice, but I've got to think that a team would be better off if players made certain decisions on their own instead of having Mackinnon helicopter parent them. 

The example about passing is weird when you think about guys like Datsyuk. I'm pretty sure there are stories of him telling his teammates to STOP trying to make a perfect pass and just get the puck near him, he'd do the rest. When you get teammates taking a little extra time to make the perfect pass instead of just firing it at a player who is more than talented enough to pick a puck out of their skates, maybe you aren't going to have as much success. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

I know NM has had falling outs with the coach late in games yelling at each other. I know it was downplayed as "heat of the moment", and maybe it was, but still interesting to think about EP or Horvat or Miller openly questioning coaches decisions and yelling at them at the bench at the end of games.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/avalanches-mackinnon-explains-outburst-head-coach-bednar/

2 hours ago, Baer. said:

Well, if they're professional athletes who are insanely competitive, professional achievements have a whole lot to do with it.  

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, J-P said:

I know NM has had falling outs with the coach late in games yelling at each other. I know it was downplayed as "heat of the moment", and maybe it was, but still interesting to think about EP or Horvat or Miller openly questioning coaches decisions and yelling at them at the bench at the end of games.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/avalanches-mackinnon-explains-outburst-head-coach-bednar/

Seems like it's not just the players who get to feel the wrath of Mackinnon. Did Stamkos have to take this approach with Tampa? Crosby with Pittsburgh? Ovechkin with Washington?

• Like 1

I think this discussion would be a similar one about the effectiveness of Tortorella's coaching style, or even Keenan for older folks. Keenan won a Cup in 1994 and Torts won in 2004, but both coaches had very high highs and low lows, which I think comes with this type of leadership style. If Colorado ever starts to falter, you can bet your bottom dollar that several of MacKinnon's teammates will flip the switch and stop respecting him.

5 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

It's why I'm wondering if MacKinnon's conduct has more adverse effects than positive, and if guys like Sakic, Yzerman, Scott Stevens, and Toews conducted themselves in a similar manner?  Chara?  Dustin Brown?  Steve Stamkos?

Trevor Linden, Mr. 2 goals in game 7 of the SCF would never pull such a stunt and he was the epitome leadership.

• Upvote 2

This is why hes Nate The Great. Need to be a hardass and demand the best, While also carrying the team.

Hockey was better when everyone were being d*1ks.
Metal/rock was better when everyone were being d*1ks, drunk and on drugs.

It is what it is. Facts show being a d*1k while backing it up works lol

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

This is why hes Nate The Great. Need to be a hardass and demand the best, While also carrying the team.

Please show us these facts lmaoooo

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Seems to work in Basketball (Jordan and Kobe) and Football (Brady) But I don’t think it works in Hockey and baseball.  At least I can’t think of a top player, who led his team to multiple championships, that was a dick to his teammates.  

2 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Please show us these facts lmaoooo

Well Karen blankenship, Ever see that old redwings / avs rivalry? You think the leaders in those rooms between each period said " Okay good job guys, Lets all pat eachother backs and say thank you! ".

Nah homie im preeeeeeeetttty sure the emotions flowed from the ice into the room lmaooooooo

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Seems to work in Basketball (Jordan and Kobe) and Football (Brady) But I don’t think it works in Hockey and baseball.  At least I can’t think of a top player, who led his team to multiple championships, that was a dick to his teammates.  

Hockey players have shown to keep things in the room pretty well.  Good and bad thing though, as with the horrible chicago situation that seems to just be brushed aside for 10 years. I should have said hardass not D*** though. Avs wouldn't be that good of a team if everyone hated the way he acted

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Hockey players have shown to keep things in the room pretty well.  Good and bad thing though, as with the horrible chicago situation that seems to just be brushed aside for 10 years. I should have said hardass not D*** though. Avs wouldn't be that good of a team if everyone hated the way he acted

Avs haven’t gone beyond round two.  We went just as far as their team has with our bubble performance.  Imo Mac, in tough playoff like hard nosed no ice hockey, is a turnover machine.  He races around with the puck and turns it over in bad spots, because he feels he can do it all himself.  That’s not a team guy.  That’s a guy who isn’t showing trust in his teammates.  That’s exactly what he’s doing with imposing his diet beliefs on the club.  He’s not leading; he’s doing the opposite.

Just now, Alflives said:

Way different.  Mac is screaming at guys who miss a pass in practice, and forcing his views of diet and nutrition on the group.  If someone stands up to to him, that player is gone.  Mac was screaming at his coach too.  The guy wants to win, but I don’t think he’s going about leading the best way for his team.  Not in hockey anyway.  

This is not a news story, Maybe to people who have never played competitive sports. Go scroll through a NFL feed. Yesterday giants got in a big scrap and coach lost his mind at them. Its called being competitive, Also lets not forget how bortuzzo fought a teammate in practice, Then won a cup.

When are you seeing all these players coming and going from the avs during the season??? Nobody is " gone " lmao.

This is a reach.

Why are soo many people cheering when torts stormed the flames room trying to scrap but shaming nate for being vocal