The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Olli Juolevi

56 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yes, getting Shaw was a big move.  Plus, we have more good forwards (who are good and smart) so our guys will be smarter on the forecheck.  We shouldn’t see so many odd man chances against with having Shaw’s teaching, and better balanced forward groups.  OJ, and all our D, will look much improved defensively.  

every time I see Pittsburg I wonder why (outside of Crosby) they always seem to have a team with great support from their F group, even with a lot of changes. I mean I don't really, its the coaching, I guess more accurately I wonder why the Canucks can't play more like that. I hope that's what we end up being more like. I don't expect that level just yet, but even a little bit takes pressure off our d to be perfect every shift. 

5 minutes ago, Me_ said:

…and also, Tkachuck DID have the puck…

Some people wanna see ugly in everything.

Most of us see a solid kid making a good hit.

It also highlighted a part of the game Olli brings to the table.  Lots of time invested in what we isn’t great at relative to the things he does well.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

every time I see Pittsburg I wonder why (outside of Crosby) they always seem to have a team with great support from their F group, even with a lot of changes. I mean I don't really, its the coaching, I guess more accurately I wonder why the Canucks can't play more like that. I hope that's what we end up being more like. I don't expect that level just yet, but even a little bit takes pressure off our d to be perfect every shift. 

I think too many of our forwards were either too slow of foot or of mind.  Slow guys get trapped on the wrong side of the puck all over the ice, but especially on the forecheck.  Dumb guys (Jake) are forever chasing the play.  

Now we have forwards who are smart and can skate.  We can still play Green’s preferred high pressure forecheck, but the results will be way better for defending.  Back pressure on the puck is huge for D.  No D man in the league can survive multiple odd man rush chances without back pressure.  OJ, being smart, and skilled, will greatly benefit from having smarter and faster forwards.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, RakuRaku said:

Just curious... can Olli play on the right side too or he almost never had? 

Reason I'm asking is, we don't really need to carry Schenn on active roster as he's just good as a 1st call-up option... if Olli is good enough then we keep him as our 6/7th D-man and keep 2 extra forwards to offer more flexibility... also, having Schenn play in Abbotsford brings more benefits too as he gets regular minutes to stay sharp AND be their leader!

Schenn wouldn't clear waivers with his contract.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Kobe Bryant What GIF

My point was just that the $1.125M number for Sutter was clearly tied to the maximum salary that can be buried, not that I expect Sutter to be demoted or that Sutter is somehow relevant to Juolevi's conversation outside of the fact that Juolevi's new contract will clearly have zero cap concerns for the Canucks if he ends up going to Abbotsford.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Maddogy said:

Chances are this is his last season as a Canuck. Not many Canucks on an one year show me deal make it to the next year. Enjoy this season folks. 

more than anything this is a "show me you are healthy" deal, its not about his potential. 

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Schenn wouldn't clear waivers with his contract.

Well.. ya never know... he's on a 2-year contract and most teams nowadays prefer using younger guys... keep in mind he was used sparingly so it's not like he was an indispensible part! I like him.... but realistically if we have to use him more than 20% of the season, we are in deep trouble!!! 

• RoughGame 1

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I'd be fine with him as a 6.  Realistically, we're likely to have at least one D out a lot more then 20% of the time.  He'll play.

seriously?? you rate Schenn as our #6??? Myers and Hamonic are the top 2 RHD's locked in... so you want Poolman to share time with Schenn?? I'm confused... 

I think Rathbone and Juolevi should be our 6/7... unless Schenn outshines them at camp and can also cover left side in a pinch!

2 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

seriously?? you rate Schenn as our #6??? Myers and Hamonic are the top 2 RHD's locked in... so you want Poolman to share time with Schenn?? I'm confused... 

I think Rathbone and Juolevi should be our 6/7... unless Schenn outshines them at camp and can also cover left side in a pinch!

I don't, I'd just have been ok with it if he had been.  I like Poolman a lot.

• Cheers 1