The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pettersson uncertain about future with Canucks ( article)

Rate this topic

cuporbust

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if this interview was strategically planned by Barry.

That guy plays up to the media like no one else. 

If so, as ugly and disgusting as it is, good agent...

In love and war..... and contract negotiations...

Edited by spook007

2 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

No where in the article does it say he wants to leave. He wants to be in Vancouver and wants Vancouver to be in a position to win regularly. It looks like we are at, or at the very least near, that stage.

Petey also has to realize that while he is an amazing player, he can't be expecting Aho money unless he signs long term, even then he is under Aho imo. Like others have said, if winning is important to him then a team friendly deal is the best way to accomplish that - the same goes for Hughes.

I agree with your points and especially in a hard cap world, I think team friendly deals have to be strongly considered to try to help the whole team be more competitive.  The problem is that taking a team friendly deal requires faith and confidence that ownership and management is not only willing to do what it takes to make the team competitive, but that they also have the ability to do so whether that's in spending dollars or bringing in the necessary people to make a team stronger.  Of course, the player taking the team friendly deal has to also make sure to be in top form, otherwise the whole thing could quickly fall apart.  The risks here do make the choice of just getting paid as much as possible more attractive since there's no way for anyone to guarantee a strong team.

It sounds like Pettersson sees the incoming roster as being competitive which is a good sign and hopefully indicative of at least some level of faith that ownership and management are willing and capable of building a strong team.  We'll see what the on-ice results are but at the very least, the players need to have the faith and confidence that ownership and management have the faith and confidence in them to be competitive with the willingness and ability to support them.

Based on the comments, I personally suspect that the best deal will be a deal that takes Pettersson straight to UFA (i.e. 4-year deal).  It's not great for the Canucks but it will probably make a team friendly deal now more palatable to Pettersson which is pretty much necessary for the Canucks to comply with the salary cap.  I would pretty much say the same thing for Hughes (5-year deal).  As for how team friendly the deals will be, that's going to be very interesting, especially in Hughes' case given how crazy expensive spending has been on D.

I guess we would never know what he really thinks.... but judging by the paper and quotes... he sounded like he wants big big $ and a chance to win every season.....

sorry, not here son!! can't let you handcuff this team just because you had 2 amazing seasons... if he insists on getting $8M+ a season, we should just use that cap space on 2 good forwards instead to spread the offense around instead of loading all up on one centre! 

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

I'm not sure if they can call themselves journalists. 

A journalist had got the whole interview translated instantly.

Not a thing about that Petey likes the OEL signing. It was very postitive for Petey and he thinks OEL will contribute to a lot of wins next season. 

• Thanks 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, RakuRaku said:

I guess we would never know what he really thinks.... but judging by the paper and quotes... he sounded like he wants big big $ and a chance to win every season.....

sorry, not here son!! can't let you handcuff this team just because you had 2 amazing seasons... if he insists on getting $8M+ a season, we should just use that cap space on 2 good forwards instead to spread the offense around instead of loading all up on one centre! 

If w get him in the 8-9M range we would be doing great as long as is a long term deal.

If he is looking more in the 10M range then I am worried, but man he is a Hell of a player.

Meh.  I'm fine with Petey wanting to win.  That's a good thing.  I'm not fine with agents and reporters trying to whip up controversies where there really aren't any.  It's a non story for slow news times.  I'm not worried.  Petey will sign a reasonable contract with us and we'll have a good year.  I mean nothing is guaranteed in this life but it seems pretty likely.  I'm tired of the business side of things I want the boys to get back on the ice!  GCG!

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

The team around him will be better if he's sucking up less cap space. Just sayin'

well... in the world (mind) of Petey, he's the franchse player of the Canucks... why would he need to take a discount at age 22? he knows damn well there are teams out there willing to pay him $9M+ right now! 

superstars that are willing to take discounts are usually well into their 30s and are still hungry for the Cup!!

1 minute ago, DrJockitch said:

If w get him in the 8-9M range we would be doing great as long as is a long term deal.

If he is looking more in the 10M range then I am worried, but man he is a Hell of a player.

Best case scenario is him getting a max term offersheet 

• Vintage 1

Since this is much to do about nothing I have a Petey story.

Last summer gf and I were out driving around town.  Before we leave the house she decides she wants to wear my Canucks jersey. (shes from Winnipeg).  Of course I oblige.  

We're driving downtown, along Pacific, right beside the Arena and I'm explaining to her who's faces are on the banners outside.  As we come to the light at Griffiths, I'm mentioning that Petey didn't have one yet and literally mid sentence as I was about to say his will be up soon,  there he is, standing on the corner, looking down at his phone. 

I couldn't believe what was happening. While in shock, I honked, we waved and I feverishly point to the jersey my gf is wearing.  He gave a shy smile and peace sign and we drove off.

I'll never forget it as it was all serindipitous and needless to say, went a long way to converting my gf into a Canucks fan.  She thinks Petey is cute and gets pissed off when he gets roughed up in games.  Anyways, Go Canucks Go!  :towel:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2