The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Myers for Subban

EDITED to include a 3rd coming back from NJ

Vancouver: D Tyler Myers (3x6mill)

New Jersey: D PK Subban (1x9mill), 2022 3rd round pick

New Jersey gets rid of Subban and gets Myers for an additional 2 years. I think Myers is still a serviceable top 4 d-man and he played well last year for the most part, idk why people dump on him so much here. 

Benning was looking at Subban before. Former Norris winner. His contract is up after this season allowing more cap flexibility for resigning core players.

Oliver Ekman Larsson-PK Subban

Quinn Hughes-Travis Hamonic

Olli Juolevi-Tucker Poolman

Jack Rathbone

Luke Schenn

Edited by ken kaniff
  • Wat 2
  • RoughGame 1

We need to resign Petey and Hughes. Adding an additional 3 mill in salary this year would make that impossible to do without moving someone out.

Swapping Subban in for Myers also weakens our already weak blueline even more, not to mention we lose Myers size.

Also, if we really want to ship Myers out, why would we do this now and weaken our team when we could play out the year and try to move him next offseason when one more year is knocked off his contract, which would make him more appealing to other teams?

• Cheers 1

NJ is free and clear of Subban in a Year. I’m not sure they’d have any interest in taking on an older $6m bottom 4 D for another 3 years when they could can free up $9m of cap space to make a big move next season 

Edited by qwijibo

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

NJ gets better, we get worse and don't gain an asset? not sure why we do this. NJ would in a heartbeat tho. 

I don't think they would.  They get rid of Subban in a year's time.  Myers has another 3 years left. 

Edited by mll

Subban is a far cry from the player he used to be. Myers plays mean and can punish players. He is more valuable to us and can clear the crease better than anyone else on our team. Hard pass, even with the temptation to move Myers remaining years under contract.

Edited by KirkSave
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, buddhahoodlum said:

I don't get the hate for Myers. Sure he's probably paid 1 million too much but he brings things to the team we need. Our internal cap structure should be fine going forward. 

I don't get the hate for Myers either.  He's big, can play with a nasty streak, skates well for a big man, has a decent shot from the point, can jump into the play, dependable on the PK and seems like a good teammate...like all defencemen in the NHL, he gets beaten in his own zone from time-to-time.

He hasn't become the superstar that he looked like he was going to become after his Calder winning season, but IMHO, Myers is a legit no. 4 d-man on almost all teams not called the Tampa Bay Lightning.

Big fat NO to this proposal.  Canucks have already gone through a Subban experiment.  I'd rather see an OEL-Myers combination than and OEL-Subban pairing.

• Thanks 1