The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SERIOUS] How to achieve time travel (With Diagrams)

Rate this topic

BoKnows

21 hours ago, BoKnows said:

So I'm sitting at home just finished eating dinner and then I had this moment of genius. I think I figured out time travel and it is quite easy to do! The only issue with this is that we can only go forwards and not backwards, and only a few people can do it every 10 years. Now I know that I have all of you at the edge of your seats with this so I'll get on with it. The solution is that we build a giant slingshot, like the biggest slingshot you've ever seen. This slingshot will launch you so quickly and so far into space that it will cause time dilation! If we launch you quick enough this ride will take 1 minute your time, but 10 years Earth time. Please look at the graphics I have created for you.

1370625446_ScreenShot2021-08-17at6_37_36PM.png.c2a78517e75ee7bd27fddf5b79b1aa21.png

1257763237_ScreenShot2021-08-17at6_38_05PM.png.35477311cdadc711f5c849a22e1c02fe.png

We just need to make a special suit and capsules so that we don't die during the flight. Please note that these renderings aren't to scale.

Just checking, are you still here, or did you go already???? ;)

• Haha 2
22 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

An atomic clock can prove this here on earth.

from Google...

For example, a clock on top of a tall mountain will move a tiny bit faster than a clock at the base of that mountain, where the gravity is stronger

Would BoKnow if the atomic clock broke whether or not it would still be right twice a day?

There appears to be a serious misconception of what I'm presenting here. When I say time-travel I do not mean what we see in back to the future, but only dilating time to go forward permanently. Time dilation is the difference in time experienced by separate entities. 

image.png.4fa7b0058b5afcc45cff54efd4eef665.png

My thought is that would it be possible to create a contraption that we can use to dilate time. So if it was the slingshot I used in my example for every minute I experience on it 10 earth minutes go by. So if the experience was 6 minutes long to me, it would be 60 minutes to everyone off the ride on Earth. Here is a video explaining the Einstein's theory of Relativity (Time Dilation)

So I could save you the "time"

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/5-time-machines-you-can-buy-build-or-visit

Time Machines You Can Buy, Build or Visit

BY REYHAN HARMANCIAUGUST 21, 2015

5 Time Machines You Can Buy, Build or Visit

image.jpgAn ‘Astral Projection Time Travel Machine Helmet Psychotronic Technology’, for $129.95. (Photo: Ebay)

THE URGE TO TRAVEL THROUGH time is irresistible. It is, in fact, timeless: H.G. Wells’ The Time Machine came out in 1895 and that was not the first literary work to raise the possibility of moving backwards in time (think: Orpheus.) But time travel did take on a new spin in the Victorian era, when scientific advancement and urbanization made it seem like anything was possible. 

People have not stopped tinkering with time. And now, thanks to the magic of the internet, you can buy a time machine…on eBay. Here are five current examples of homemade time portals. Cheating time would be the ultimate discovery, so please let us know if any of these actually work.

1. The Gold Box 

image.jpgA ‘magical time travel device’ for $199. (Photo: Ebay)

What is it? Unclear. The description online says: “This time machine is made of a special material (secret). It has to be custom made and blessed.” Seems to be a box wrapped in gold wrapping paper.

VIDEO FROM ATLAS OBSCURA

00:06 / 05:17

How does it work? Again, the description is vague. Inspired (or made?) by the author of Mastering Time Travel: Voyages Through Time (it retails for $200 on Amazon with the author’s signature), this is a pagan/Wiccan time device. Blessings are involved. Belief is key; the eBay listing says that you shouldn’t even bid if you don’t believe it would work. There is a helpful FAQ about what you can do once you travel in time (check in with past lives, know the results to sporting events). “You can use this machine to view documents in another dimension, it could also function similar like the Palm Pilot on earth (sic),” the listing concludes.

Can you buy it? Yes, on both eBay and Amazon! Retails for $199. 

2. The Astral Projector

image.jpgAn ‘Astral Projection Time Travel Machine Psychotronic Technology’, for $29.95. (Photo: Ebay)

What is it? It seems to be some kind of copper-looking ring. 

How does it work? Technically not time travel as much as astral projection, this eBay seller promises that if you put this device under your pillow at night, you will be able to “project yourself anywhere in the universe at any point in time.” (There is an hour-long YouTube video about astral projection embedded on the listing but it appears to be unrelated to this device.) It is, however, related to the orange helmet pictured above, a whole other way to astral project yourself to another dimension.

Can you buy it? Yes. On the cheaper side; $29.95. (The helmet runs to $199.)

3. The Robot Army

image.jpg

A Patent Application for ‘Practical Time Machine using Dynamic Efficient Virtual and Real Robots’. (Photo: Google Patents US20090234788 A1)

What is it?  This is not so much a completed time machine as a patent application for one filed in 2009. 

How does it work?  Unlike the previous time machines, this device does not lack for documentation. There are 39 pages of diagrams alone. The basic gist seemed to be that we can make robots build us a timeline of everything that has happened on Earth, and then a person can use that complete timeline, down to the nanoseconds, as a guide to go back. You can just a time on the timeline to visit and “atom manipulators” will assist you on your travels. Note that this time machine also requires 9 different inventions to work. 

Can you buy it? Sadly, no. There is no sign that it has been built.

4. Stargate Model

image.jpgOr you could build your own Stargate. (Photo: Cole Vassiliou/flickr)

What is it? A painted wooden circle that you can walk through.

How does it work? Well, not technically time travel so much as interplanetary travel. But the space/time continuum is disrupted. From the 1994 film by Roland Emmerlich comes the Stargate portal. The basic gist is that this is a metal ring that has a complement on another planet, so you can step through and be somewhere else. 

Can you buy it? No, but you you can probably make it.

5. The Public Transport Time Machine

image.jpg
Or just get creative. (Photo: Robin Corps/flickr)

What is it? Elevator doors in a car park in England.

How does it work? Get in the elevator, go to another time period, mechanics unknown. 

Can you buy it? No. But you can visit. It’s in Wokingham, England.

A glimpse sparked of dilated pupils from a mushroom dinner way back when haunts me of Kim Jong-un's face with Jimmy's stupid ass sig photo of that awful Lou hairdo.

Hope Bo doesn't Know.   

10 hours ago, BoKnows said:

I was actually talking to an astrophysicist about this today and he was saying that we'd be limited by the speed of sound in rubber. As the the rubber contracts when we pull the slingshot back we get a wave, but this wave only goes as fast as the sound travels through rubber. That is nowhere near the speed to reach orbital velocity let alone dilate time. He suggested that using magnets to shoot you up might work. The magnets can accelerate you like a monorail, he compared it to a railgun.

Anti-Silent rubber my friend 

spacer.png

22 hours ago, BoKnows said:

I was actually talking to an astrophysicist about this today and he was saying that we'd be limited by the speed of sound in rubber. As the the rubber contracts when we pull the slingshot back we get a wave, but this wave only goes as fast as the sound travels through rubber. That is nowhere near the speed to reach orbital velocity let alone dilate time. He suggested that using magnets to shoot you up might work. The magnets can accelerate you like a monorail, he compared it to a railgun.

Superconductivity?

Now if you can get that perfected at room temperature, I will buy stock in your company.

On 8/18/2021 at 3:48 PM, janisahockeynut said:

You weren't there!

What happened?

I was, and so were you. I guess I must have seen a future you.

Perhaps (current) you are confused over which "last Thursday" was being mentioned? One has to keep in mind that when one is going to "last Thursday", you don't go back to the immediate previous Thursday, you have to go back to the Thursday prior to that last Thursday because that is when the sign was put up, see?

...unless we are talking about going forward in time, and then you have to gauge when the actual "last Thursday" in this time-line occurs, which would be at some point before time, the Universe and Everything goes poof! (And, of course, we normally, refrain from getting involved with alternate universes just to keep things neat and tidy.) As there was no "the last Thursday" on the sign, we safely disregarded that destination (as I'm sure you did, but I included this comment for the benefit of others).

As to what happened at the meeting, it was pretty much the usual sort of meeting of any society. Call to order, the Minutes of the last meeting were read, and then the meeting bogged down (as it usually does) when we discussed the old business (of which there is a lot). There were those who were trying to discuss old business which was still in the future for other members, so they had no idea what was going on. You (future you) will put forward a motion to meet for drinks at a time and place where the exchange rate ensured that everyone could get drunk within their respective economic situation (passed by majority - the only dissent was by a second you, from even further ahead in time)..

regards,  G.

• Haha 1