The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen banner still up at Rogers place ( article)

Rate this topic

cuporbust

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Is Rogers Kingdom in Toronto?

Rogers Centre technically. However they are in the process of purchasing Bell, Canadian Tire, Canada Life and Scotiabank so they will be changing the names of all of the hockey rinks in Canada to simply “We are Rogers”…

6 minutes ago, McBackup said:

The Virtanen banner will be down when the team replaces all of them for the coming season.

I have no doubt they'll want to do that anyway to promote Garland/OEL/Podkolzin/Hoglander/whoever else.

This is a complete non-issue being utilized by people who always want an excuse to grab their pitchforks.

Is it smart for a club to have a giant banner of a guy hanging outside their arena who is under investigation for sex crimes?  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The Canucks may not have even been able to hire someone to take down that banner. I suspect whatever contractors do that kind of specialized work are probably backed up for months due to Covid, like you see in many other trades. And if they could find someone to do a rush job, which isn’t necessarily a guarantee, they would probably need to pay several times the going rate to have any hope in jumping the queue.

^This. 

5 minutes ago, IRR said:

Yet, some defend the media here. While this is about one banner, it really does speak to the overall issue with the media here. They truly are horrible. No wonder agents / players have called them out! 

This isn’t about media; this is about common sense.  Jake is under investigation for sex crimes.  Having a giant banner of him hanging outside the arena is wrong, whether he was still on our club or not.  

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This isn’t about media; this is about common sense.  Jake is under investigation for sex crimes.  Having a giant banner of him hanging outside the arena is wrong, whether he was still on our club or not.  

I don't disagree that it should come down (keep in mind the innocent until proven guilty), but let's be real, it will get done. Do you really think it will just be left there or that they want it there?! Maybe they're waiting on a new one(s) to replace it / them. Let them take care of business without it being made into something it's not or making a bigger issue out of it than it needs to be, which is what the media is doing...and this is just one of many many examples. 

1 minute ago, IRR said:

I don't disagree that it should come down (keep in mind the innocent until proven guilty), but let's be real, it will get done. Do you really think it will just be left there or that they want it there?! Maybe they're waiting on a new one(s) to replace it / them. Let them take care of business without it being made into something it's not or making a bigger issue out of it than it needs to be, which is what the media is doing...and this is just one of many many examples. 

The Canucks are a 700 million dollar business.  They can afford to hire a couple guys to take down the Jake banner and put up a generic team banner in its place. The league talks about being proactive, and taking a stand on important social issues.  Big swing and miss by the Canucks here.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

The Canucks are a 700 million dollar business.  They can afford to hire a couple guys to take down the Jake banner and put up a generic team banner in its place. The league talks about being proactive, and taking a stand on important social issues.  Big swing and miss by the Canucks here.  

Covid has caused a lot of backlog in trades. As Sid mentioned there's probably a backlog of work. Even still, I'll be glad when it's down. But he's been released. He hasn't signed anywhere else yet. (Who would take him at this juncture?) Pretty sure by the time training camp starts his banner will be down. 

12 hours ago, rawkdrummer said:

The loser coach or his ego?

Lu demanded out

How do you feel when your employer consistently treats you like garbage? I bet you just grin and bear it, right? Never gripe, never grumble, never look for greener pastures.....riiiiiiight

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Covid has caused a lot of backlog in trades. As Sid mentioned there's probably a backlog of work. Even still, I'll be glad when it's down. But he's been released. He hasn't signed anywhere else yet. (Who would take him at this juncture?) Pretty sure by the time training camp starts his banner will be down. 

Maybe they're waiting for Garland to show up so they can make one of him. Maybe its trades. Maybe its waiting on the other contracts or part of a complete re-do of the outside.

A building isn't an app. You can't swipe things away instantly. 

Its just another "look, Aqulini bad" province article. :bored:

• Cheers 3

11 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

nothing burger Memes & GIFs - Imgflip

9 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

The all new meatless burger at McDonald's, only until end of August.

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That’s the healthiest burger McDonald’s has ever served…

" McDonalds just served their 2 billionth customer, and to celebrate they are opening up their second pound of ground beef"

Johnny Carson

• Haha 4