The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes lose vote for new arena - future unclear

Rate this topic

mll

26 minutes ago, mll said:

People first thought that the crowd would be electric being in a campus setting for young drunk students to enjoy. How can anyone expect this arena to fill up with those prices? Students have their tuitions to worry about let alone $3,649 minimum season tickets price tag. $89 bucks to get in per game?

Gary and the yotes owners must be dipping into the Peyote  and licking their chops again.  

C4A33763-9FF3-420A-9797-F797474022FE.jpeg

88E8C8CC-D436-4BE3-850C-2C611B1545E5.gif

33 minutes ago, mll said:

Basically 3100 corporate seats and 2,000 seats for rich snowbirds. What a joke. What an insult to fans of hockey in Arizona. This should be the laughing stock of professional sports but hockey is so irrelevant that people won't even notice. 

If I'm a billionaire owner of the other 31 teams, I'm furious that I'm basically subsidizing this joke of a franchise through revenue sharing.  

• Cheers 1

Bettman must really have the BOG by the short and curlies.

And not a peep out of the other teams?

I do not know the facts, but I believe most(?) junior teams in Canada play in larger rinks.

Cancel their franchise and move the bits to a hockey mad market.

Hell, I don't even care if it is in Canada or the States anymore.

Just give up on this Arizona/Phoenix crap Gary.

Your underwear is showing more than Matthews'.

Stinky, stinky, stuff Buttman.

On 4/21/2022 at 1:15 PM, Down by the River said:

Basically 3100 corporate seats and 2,000 seats for rich snowbirds. What a joke. What an insult to fans of hockey in Arizona. This should be the laughing stock of professional sports but hockey is so irrelevant that people won't even notice. 

If I'm a billionaire owner of the other 31 teams, I'm furious that I'm basically subsidizing this joke of a franchise through revenue sharing.  

Not sure that is going to fly at all.  Corporations don't like losing teams... it isn't a good vibe to go to see games where your local team gets shellacked every night and everyone is depressed by the end.

They will continue to get folks from visiting teams attend games... but at these prices it is going to be a half empty building still.  They should have at least had a bunch of nosebleeds for cheap to get college kids in to bring some energy to the place.

On 2/14/2022 at 2:45 PM, gurn said:

move the team to Powell River- we only have 1,700 seats but we would fill them to watch some NHL hockey.

Great little hockey town. Even the Safeway has an ocean sunset view.

• Cheers 3

On 4/23/2022 at 2:44 AM, Provost said:

Not sure that is going to fly at all.  Corporations don't like losing teams... it isn't a good vibe to go to see games where your local team gets shellacked every night and everyone is depressed by the end.

They will continue to get folks from visiting teams attend games... but at these prices it is going to be a half empty building still.  They should have at least had a bunch of nosebleeds for cheap to get college kids in to bring some energy to the place.

Not to mention the facilities. Sometimes these corporate tickets are used to take partners to an event as what I remember some folks from our Company were taken to watch the San Jose Shark home games. You don't want to take your business partners to a sports game whose Arena is suited more for a minor league team. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Not to mention the facilities. Sometimes these corporate tickets are used to take partners to an event as what I remember some folks from our Company were taken to watch the San Jose Shark home games. You don't want to take your business partners to a sports game whose Arena is suited more for a minor league team. 

Yep… buying tickets to a low rent team makes you look like a low rent business.

They are better off buying tickets to college sports in that area as alumni will be excited to go.

21 minutes ago, Provost said:

They are better off buying tickets to college sports in that area as alumni will be excited to go.

I'm wondering how they are going to protect people without having netting over the entire thing, its such a tiny space. Its going to be a gong show.

What free agent is going to want to go there? Maybe Megna can get a 3milx4 deal. 

Just think of how hard it was for Winnipeg to get their team back with the number one issue being a suitable arena to play in.  Absolute bush league by the NHL…fans at every other building shouldn’t have to subsidize this trainwreck.

• Cheers 2
  • Sad 1

On 4/24/2022 at 7:37 PM, Provost said:

Exactly I am a hockey fan but if I was working in Phoenix and had to take some clients around for entertainment there is no way I would take them to an Arena that minor league teams play on. I would rather take them to a Suns game instead. 

• Upvote 1

If I was an owner. I'd ask for an emergency meeting. Get the 31 other owners to get together. I'd show them what a joke this is. Demand that the BOG have Arizona sell the team and move to Houston or Portland. 

This is an absolute joke. 

The UBC Thunderbirds Sports Centre holds 7,500 fans. 

• 2 weeks later...