The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coyotes lose vote for new arena - future unclear

Rate this topic

mll

11 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Yes, the team could have been run better. But take it from somebody who actually lived there. The majority of people in Arizona don’t care about Hockey. They care about Football, Baseball, Basketball, and Golf.

The population in the Greater Phoenix Area has exploded in the last few decades, and they still can’t draw enough people to fill the arena even half way most nights, and that’s with discounted tickets. 

I used to try to get my friends down there interested in Hockey but the majority could care less. Most of the seats are snowbirds escaping the Canadian winters. You can’t sustain a team like that. 

The NHL has been trying to grow the American game for decades, and a lot of cities have done quite well. The problem is the league tries to force it in some areas that just don’t work. They become pot committed and unwilling to admit defeat. It’s time to give up on Hockey in Arizona. Move the team to a Hockey city like Quebec with fans that actually care about Hockey. 

I feel like they don't care about hockey because of its past poor performances.

Phoenix wasted a lot of years under Gretzky as a coach.

9 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

The NHL has been trying to grow the American game for decades, and a lot of cities have done quite well. The problem is the league tries to force it in some areas that just don’t work. They become pot committed and unwilling to admit defeat. It’s time to give up on Hockey in Arizona. Move the team to a Hockey city like Quebec with fans that actually care about Hockey. 

A lot of pot may have been involved in putting the team there :ph34r:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Even less people went when they were at America West Arena in downtown Phoenix. They moved to the suburb of Glendale to attract more fans and that still didn’t work. Time to try elsewhere. 

You know it.

I know it.

Does the NHL know it?    I doubt it.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Even less people went when they were at America West Arena in downtown Phoenix. They moved to the suburb of Glendale to attract more fans and that still didn’t work. Time to try elsewhere. 

Didn’t that Downtown PHX Arena have obstructed views and some of the seats removed behind the Goal at one end of the Arena?

Edited by Mj2345
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Mj2345 said:

Didn’t that Downtown PHX Arena have obstructed views and some of the seats removed behind the Goal at one end of the Arena?

Yeah, it was designed for Basketball. Behind one net went straight up instead of a bowl. Some of the lower seats had posts in front of them, and the upper seats couldn’t see the net that was below them. :picard:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

The only reason I could see Quebec City happening is that larger cities like Houston can likely afford the expansion fee that the NHL will want to reclaim.  This would be the biggest discount for a place like Quebec City to afford it and then charge Houston and Portland the expansion fees for new teams.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

They didn’t care looong before that. Even when it was the new ticket in town they didn’t care. 

I went to a game there a few years back.  Got chatting with the guy next to me.  He was excited to have a Canadian there to talk hockey with, but also felt the need to apologize for the other confused fans around us that didn't seem to know what to cheer for.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

How many cities are hoping they don't move the franchise there? Imagine starting your team based off of what the Coyotes have to offer now? At least expansion teams are given a running start. Although I guess a new franchise having Shane Wright to start might not be too bad assuming they get lottery "luck".

I think this type of move would have to be to an actual tested hockey mad market to support them from the get go and can be patient enough to let them build otherwise the situation might not be too different than what is happening in Arizona now.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Wouldn’t that be awesome!  Is there a city more ready to take on a team than Quebec?  Reignite the Habs v Nordiques rivalry!

Houston Nordiques? 

Gary is going to want this in another US city in the western division. 

• Cheers 1