The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion/Poll] Will Canucks get both Hughes and Pettersson signed before the start of the new season?

Rate this topic

Beary Sweet

Canucks franchise cornerstones  

188 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

24 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Saying that "everyone else does it" is a pretty poor excuse for bad behavior to me.  The real point here is that the player can sign whenever they want.  Hiding behind the agent is cowardice in my opinion.  Maybe there's a lot of cowards out there, I don't know.  If they don't want to take the team's interests in mind then that's fine, but that's the player's decision, and it's squarely on them.  It's well past time for these millionaire athletes to take responsibility for their decisions.  GCG!

P.S. - And like I said, do you think Sakic or Yzerman ever hurt the teams interests in order to squeeze out more money?  And it does hurt the team to have their star players miss preseason time, much less regular season time.  In order to win the big prize players have to not only be talented and work hard, but they have to put the team's interests before their own.  That's why players like Sakic and Yzerman had so much success.  Yes, they had a lot of talent but it takes way more than just that.  It takes real commitment to the team.  I still like Petey and Hughes, don't get me wrong, but they have to show some leadership instead of just following the same old path to greed.  Petey said he wants to play for a winner, and that's a good thing, but the commitment has to go both ways.

I see your point, but I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

On one hand, what do other lesser paid players, like Motte think, privately, when a team mate is offered 7 million, and sits and pouts, and hampers his team's season out of the gate, until he gets 8 million?  It has to affect the room somewhat.

On the other, I don't blame them for using their agents to get as much as they can...now.  They watched their team decimated in personnel before last season.  Then the unpredictability of something like a pandemic.  Then there's a risk of personal injury. There are no guarantees for them if they "take one for the team" now.

I think they both know these two realities. Management and the players.  And that's why I think they will both sign before training camp.  I'll start to pull the remaining hair follicles out of my head if that date passes and they are still unsigned.

I’m torn. I want both signed right away as they are the most talented on the team. We don’t know what happens behind closed doors. There are many possible reasons that these two are not signed. For example:

1 - the team has made agreements but needs to swing another deal to make the cap room

2 - one of the two wants more than is being offered and the agent is refusing to sign either one until it is worked out

3 - the media loves a bs story about the Canucks so the team is holding off until training camp to milk the press release closer to season start. 
If it’s any of these it will be handled with nothing to worry about. If one or both are trying to hold the team hostage for contracts worth too much then let them sit. Highly talented or not they are both RFA. I don’t want an overpaid Nylander clone anywhere near this team. Sign a deal and get to camp. Hoping it’s just business crap as these two are far too important not to have talked and know exactly where each side is. I’m expecting them both at camp personally. 

4 hours ago, bree2 said:

so they will get not camp ? that is not a great solution, Boeser, that year did not play well. and Horvat didn't play that well when he resigned.  this being dragged on is a complete joke.. all it shows is that money is more important to the player and is that going to sit well with their team mates? and especially the fans wanting to see them on the ice!!!!

Boeser struggled only a bit, but Horvat had his best year-to-date after signing his contract.

He was injured but his points-per-game was 0.69, which was the highest in his career to that point.

1 hour ago, J-P said:

Fully expect both to be signed before camp and if they are it's likely a win win regarding money.

If they are not it is something that might hurt a lot short term as missing camp time affects most players for a large part of the season including playoffs.

That said, if the cap the players are asking for is not reasonable it might make sense in the long term to make them sit. All in all, i think JB's been doing a good job with RFAs and I'm not worried.

Again - I think both will be signed before camp.

As Sedin said, time to think of the team, if you want to be on a winning team. money doesn't really make it happen, hard work does. and Sedins had JP Barry as their agent too.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, -SN- said:

Negotiations are going long so we decided we're turning on our two best players now? 

It's not all or none.  I said "less respect", not zero respect.  I still have a lot of respect for Petey and Hughes, it's just that I can say that honestly and still say that they need to take more responsibility for the negotiation process.  If they want to win the big prize, and I hope they do, they need to help the team more than just on the ice and take more than just a mercenary attitude.  If every player did whatever it took to get the absolute maximum amount of dollars then that would lead to a lesser chance of winning the cup.  It's about a careful balance and putting the team before personal interests not everyone for themselves.  They'll still get a VERY good pay day in the long run, they just don't need to hurt the team's chances of winning along the way.  GCG!

2 minutes ago, nux_win said:

It's not all or none.  I said "less respect", not zero respect.  I still have a lot of respect for Petey and Hughes, it's just that I can say that honestly and still say that they need to take more responsibility for the negotiation process.  If they want to win the big prize, and I hope they do, they need to help the team more than just on the ice and take more than just a mercenary attitude.  If every player did whatever it took to get the absolute maximum amount of dollars then that would lead to a lesser chance of winning the cup.  It's about a careful balance and putting the team before personal interests not everyone for themselves.  They'll still get a VERY good pay day in the long run, they just don't need to hurt the team's chances of winning along the way.  GCG!

99.999% of players do whatever it takes to the get the maximum amount of dollars, and the ones who don't usually have one foot in the retirement home. It's not just a game to them; it's their career and livelihood. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, -SN- said:

99.999% of players do whatever it takes to the get the maximum amount of dollars, and the ones who don't usually have one foot in the retirement home. It's not just a game to them; it's their career and livelihood. 

I'd say that's an exaggeration.  Yes, sadly, most players are all about the money, and nothing else, but I would guess that there are more than 0.001% of players who take a bit less than maximum in order to help the team win.  I like to think that more than 0.001% of people care about things other than money.  I could be wrong, but I like to think that.  GCG!

3 minutes ago, nux_win said:

I'd say that's an exaggeration.  Yes, sadly, most players are all about the money, and nothing else, but I would guess that there are more than 0.001% of players who take a bit less than maximum in order to help the team win.  I like to think that more than 0.001% of people care about things other than money.  I could be wrong, but I like to think that.  GCG!

I think grabbing for big dollars, that is clearly an overpay, is mostly seen in the “look at me mommy” scorers.  Look at the Leafs.  They have four “look at me mommy” overpaid guys.  Pyjama Boy, Pants Down, Double Flamingo, and Show me the money Marner. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, -SN- said:

Negotiations are going long so we decided we're turning on our two best players now? 

More preemptive whining.

How about we wait for them to hold out before chastising them for it. Turning on two of our best players because we wanted them signed sooner is childish.

I doubt that this is a hold out situation. It's probably about term and structure. Whatever the final numbers are, they will not be x many dollars per season. It will start lower and increase. Most contracts are like that. I'm sure that Quinn, for instance will get up to 8.5 million in the later part of the contract and only around 5 million in the first season.

That's not a guesstimate, that's a for instance by the way.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

26 minutes ago, nux_win said:

You realize that you can want to get the most out of a contract negotiation AND not be ‘all about the money’ right? 

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

You realize that you can want to get the most out of a contract negotiation AND not be ‘all about the money’ right? 

Actually I don't think that's technically possible at a logic/language level.  When one throws around superlatives like "maximum" and "most" then it necessarily means that all other considerations are ignored.  One can indeed get a very good payday and still consider other things, but that has been my point all along.  GCG!

• RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, nux_win said:

Actually I don't think that's technically possible at a logic/language level.  When one throws around superlatives like "maximum" and "most" then it necessarily means that all other considerations are ignored.  One can indeed get a very good payday and still consider other things, but that has been my point all along.  GCG!

You’re not very good with subtleties or tensions are you? 

5 hours ago, gurn said:

I bet he could sign them for $12 mill.  or do you think that Elias and Quinn wouldn't sign for that?

So you think ¨Petey is a 12m player

Quinn is far less of a term than EP40

If they have to pay those kids that much this team never wins a championship

• RoughGame 1

Crosby makes $9.7 million. Petey should be asking himself what he has accomplished next to Crosby, and sign on the dotted line. 

Hughes looked great two years ago and a defensive liability with shaky play last year. He better not get all primadonna on us yet. 

Both are amazing players, but they need to stay realistic.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

50 minutes ago, Bell said:

So you think ¨Petey is a 12m player

Quinn is far less of a term than EP40

If they have to pay those kids that much this team never wins a championship

I did not say that.

You want JB fired if he doesn't sign those guys. I gave an amount that I'm positive those guy would sign for.

Thus JB keeps his jo, under your rules.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Ottawa has $29M in cap space and Brady Tkachuk’s deal still hasn’t been done. Buffalo has $23M and hasn’t signed Rasmus Dahlin. Minnesota has $12M and Kaprizov is yet to sign. This is business, let it happen without turning on people. 

Almost as if each team is waiting for some of the other big names out there to sign so they have an idea what the market is dictating.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1