The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Official) NHL, NHLPA reach agreement to NOT participate in 2022 Beijing Olympics

Rate this topic

53 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I see them both being on the team in Milan.

As long as Crosby is still healthy and playing at age 38 he’ll be on the team. They’ll find a role for him even if he isn’t an impact player anymore.

Same thing for Stamkos. He’ll be 35 by then but as long as he can still play he can be a bottom 6 depth scorer at that point.

It will be important for the next young group of stars to have the vets on the team. Guys who know the tournament and who have won gold before.

Stamkos and Crosby as your 3-4 th line centres would be fantastic. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

TheScore just updated and said that NHL players aren't going to Bejing. I'll see if there's any other announcements. 

That's great news.  The entire western "Civilized" world should boycott that oppressive communist dictatorship regimes olympic platform they'll use to spread their propoganda and lies.   Lets not fool ourselves - "China is our Enemy". 

46 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Canada's backup roster is the Spengler Cup roster, from what I've read (probably from another thread here - or from one of the sports channels).

edit - heh, none of the above, it was the CityNews website.  https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2021/12/20/hockey-canada-withdraws-spengler-cup/

What a wild ride for those players.

From getting ready to represent Canada in the Spengler Cup (which is an honour in its own right), to having that tournament being cancelled, to now potentially being an Olympian and representing Canada again.

Honestly I might be rooting even harder for this underdog squad.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

While it is the right choice. I surely hope hockey fans haven’t been cheated with ever seeing both Crosby and McDavid on the same team. They might do a World Cup of hockey to compensate this loss but nothing beats Olympic best on best. Safety above anything else this was the best course of action. No way any owner would be content with their players stuck in China for five weeks while their team is gearing for a playoff push. 

World Cup of Hockey was a joke. Just don't do it and move on and hope things work out in 2026 

Looks like Jake Virtanen will likely be an Olympian before McDavid 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

• Roger Neilsons Towel changed the title to (Official) NHL, NHLPA reach agreement to NOT participate in 2022 Beijing Olympics

Lol wonder if we'll see the likes of former Canucks legends Marc Andre Gragnani and Linden Vey, former Vancouver Giants great Gilbert Brule, All-Name Team member Rob Klinkhammer and Cody "Buff Man" Goloubef.

Alternatively, the 2021 IIHF WC roster was pretty good (depending if AHL players could join), otherwise the 2019 Spengler Cup guys would be Zach Boychuk, David Desharnais, etc.

Edited by Phil_314