This is my worry, that we start the season with this:

OEL - Poolman

Rathbone - Myers

Juolevi - Schenn

Worst of all is our penalty kill:

Poolman - Myers

Juolevi - Schenn

Whoever's leftover for final minutes...

eesh.  Without Hughes and Hamonic this D is scarce.  It's going to be a rough go when Poolman and Myers is the top PK unit. 

Even with Hughes in the lineup I'm not so confident in this D core's ability. Who's going to play with him if Hamonic isn't in the lineup? It would have to be Poolman right? Hughes gets a lot of minutes so a guy like Schenn would get exposed and him and Myers have proven to be ugly.

OEL - Myers

Hughes - Poolman

Juolevi - Schenn?

Is Poolman good enough to cover for Hughes?  Would OEL - Myers be able to defend well enough to play against opponents top players?

The more I question this D core the more I miss Tanev

4 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Good post and you highlighted a major point, that we had one of (if not) the worst Defensive coaches in professional hockey - worldwide -on our team last year. Now that's he's been shown the door, hopefully our new D-coach can straighten out the mess that he left.- especially teach QH how to be a defenseman and not have to rely on another Dman like Hamonic to keep him from stretching his horrific +/- record into the stratosphere.   

Fingers crossed that better days are ahead for our D Core, especially now that "slow-poke Edler" is finally gone along with a few of the other boat anchors we dragged trough the mud for the last 10 years.  I think this year will certainly be better than last year - by how much??? Time will tell - but i'm more positive on them than in many years.  I think this year will be "THE" turning point.

Slow poke Edler took on the toughest minutes last season regardless.   Wonder how QHs would have managed doing that?  Worse is my guess. 

Bomber/Shaw or whomever can only work with what they have.   And this year it's for sure a turning point.   Edler was a massive massive whipping boy since he almost scored 50 points and never did better.   Like three phases with the fanbase really.   First phase wasn't long, just excitement!  Who is this guy who beat out  Bourdon?  Wow awesome this guys amazing, hits like a tank and skates well for a big guy and puts up points!  Norris trophies coming next! 

Short phase.   Then .... well Hamhuis is better.  Bieksa is better.   And man why isn't he breaking 50 points!   When is he ever going to breakout...this guy isn't a top pairing guy.    This is the longest phase .... whipping boy.   Why is he leading the league in minus?   Where is the Edler of "old?"...  you know the one who was going to win Norris trophies!  He's not a legit top pairing guy just ok at best.   This phase and b!tching went on until he signed his last deal.   Most but obviously not All the b!tchers shut-up when he passed Ohlund and became our all-time leader in games played and points for a D. 

Third stage.   Last contract.   Hey well Edler was actually pretty awesome at the worlds so yeah - decent contract.   He's still a great defenseman and a leader in the locker room.   Hey who's that Giraffe sitting across the room from him and why in the heck is HE making so much money!   Pitchforks out let's get em!   

Point is, some fans just suck.  And don't see the forest for the trees.    I was, like a lot of fans, a little sad he never added to his breakout season.   But didn't participate in the awful bashing.   We should be happy and proud to have an Eagle when we had him which for sure we did.   One of the best 3rd rounders we've ever had.    Even his last season with us he did his standard solid play, killed them most penalties and played against the toughest guys.   Sure he lost some foot speed.   But also was great in front of the net and continued to make players pay for coming into our zone.   Something QHs won't ever be capable of doing unless he unleashes his inner Chelios, goes on 200km bike rides in 35 degree heat with no water just for fun.  

Lol so ... so you b!tch about Edler - i'm b!tching about QHs not being more like him.     Lumme, Ohlund, Edler, Babych, Jovo, you just can't have too many guys like them.   Or for the younger generations, Salo, Hamhuis, Edler, Bieksa ....Erhoff sucked after he left.   Lidster meh - one great year with us.   Reinhardt and QHs are both special players.   I'm excited to see how his career goes with us, but i'm pretty sentimental when it comes to guys that kill penalties, hit like trucks, and can do it all as well. 

• Like 1

If Hamonic is done:

“To what extent can Jason Demers fill in for the dearly departed Travis Hamonic?”

Even with Hamonic here, I had some concerns about our top pairing RD’s.  The loss of Hamonic is a massive blow it would seem.

Edited by Patel Bure

1 hour ago, Patel Bure said:

If Hamonic is done:

“To what extent can Jason Demers fill in for the dearly departed Travis Hamonic?”

Even with Hamonic here, I had some concerns about our top pairing RD’s.  The loss of Hamonic is a massive blow it would seem.

if OEL-Poolman is actually a thing, its not necessarily a 'massive blow' - Hughes likely won't need to be relied on for too many minutes like last year with OEL here with a good defensive partner. 

OEL-Poolman

Rathone-Myers

Hughes-Schenn

No issues moving the puck, and also a decent PK. 

9 minutes ago, JM_ said:

if OEL-Poolman is actually a thing, its not necessarily a 'massive blow' - Hughes likely won't need to be relied on for too many minutes like last year with OEL here with a good defensive partner. 

OEL-Poolman

Rathone-Myers

Hughes-Schenn

Will be good to see OEL-Poolman against NHL competition. They looked great last night against mostly AHLers. 
The Rathbone/Hughes Myers potential pairing should be exciting at both ends. 
Someone needed to tell Myers if Rathbone is leading the breakout he needs to hang back. They had both D jumping up and leading the breakout at one point last night. 

Edited by DrJockitch

Just now, DrJockitch said:

Will be good to see PEL-Poolman against NHL competition. They looked great last night against mostly AHLers. 
The Rathbone/Hughes Myers potential pairing should be exciting at both ends. 
Someone needed to tell Myers if Rathbone is leading the breakout he needs to hang back. They had both D jumping up and leading the breakout at one point last night. 

yeah I think we'll see Demko face more than his fair share of breakaways this year when those plays don't work.

Such a strange pre-season. I don't ever recall so much change and so many things still hanging in the air, with the contracts and Hamonic issue. 

But so far, it was nice to see OEL-Poolman seem to fit well. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

OEL-Poolman

Rathone-Myers

Hughes-Schenn

Still too many question marks in my opinion.

1) What does that defense look like with even one injury?

2) Historically speaking, Poolman has not performed well in a top pairing role even if he’s looked solid on 3rd pairings.  OEL has been a defensive liability for a few years now.  Can we guarantee that both guys will be up to the challenge in a top pairing role?

3) Both Rathbone and Myers are offensive-minded defensemen.  Will they be collectively strong enough defensively?

That defense does not inspire confidence in me at all, and I think Benning will have to do something significant if Hamonic is leaving out.  I’m not even sure if Jason Demers would be able to do much.

8 hours ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

eesh.  Without Hughes and Hamonic this D is scarce.  It's going to be a rough go when Poolman and Myers is the top PK unit. 

Even with Hughes in the lineup I'm not so confident in this D core's ability. Who's going to play with him if Hamonic isn't in the lineup? It would have to be Poolman right? Hughes gets a lot of minutes so a guy like Schenn would get exposed and him and Myers have proven to be ugly.

OEL - Myers

Hughes - Poolman

Juolevi - Schenn?

Is Poolman good enough to cover for Hughes?  Would OEL - Myers be able to defend well enough to play against opponents top players?

The more I question this D core the more I miss Tanev

Myers was the top RHD PKer last season, just behind Edler for the team leader.   Hamonic was 50% less or something like that.   Poolman wouldn't have to pick up the toughest minutes so at least there is that.   But yes it sucks all the same. 

5 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Still too many question marks in my opinion.

1) What does that defense look like with even one injury?

2) Historically speaking, Poolman has not performed well in a top pairing role even if he’s looked solid on 3rd pairings.  OEL has been a defensive liability for a few years now.  Can we guarantee that both guys will be up to the challenge in a top pairing role?

3) Both Rathbone and Myers are offensive-minded defensemen.  Will they be collectively strong enough defensively?

That defense does not inspire confidence in me at all, and I think Benning will have to do something significant if Hamonic is leaving out.  I’m not even sure if Jason Demers would be able to do much.

well, its the one we have. I do think we have to wait and see how good OEL and Poolman really are, we may not need to be so concerned.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Without Hughes and Hamonic we are an okay D.  But with those two we have a very good D.

Hughes/Bone, Hamonic/Schenn

OEL, Poolman

Bone, Myers

OJ/Hunt

yeah I don't get the over reaction going on here. Oh well, thankfully the team doesn't actually play on twitter, which seems to be the source of the angst.