The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 Training Camp Thread

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

9 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

No worries.

I am hoping one of the young guns step up with the players out. Now is the time for them to shine. 

Totally agree. 

Someone else stated this but we have a lot of competition this camp. Looking forward to the Ex. games to really see who stands out. These 10 sec videos and random comments are hard to gauge anything by. I think with this camp there could be a lot of surprises.

5 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Ah, that’s really cool to hear. Travis obviously took note of both young guys looking a little frustrated at times. Dan Klim in particular, should feel very happy about his performance. I mean, the social media sphere is full of praise for him and it is well deserved. I am so excited for the kid. And now I’m trying to decide who his play style reminds me of…..

Pete Mahovlich

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

Anyone going to be attending a game(s) this upcoming season? I have never watched a Canucks game live. I’m hoping I’ll be able to watch one this year.  Benning, get Huggy Bear and Petey locked up! Make that happen and I’ll consider this offseason a win.

I’m going to the season opener in Edmonton. I’m hoping and praying that Petey and Hughes are in the lineup for the game. The combination of new pieces (Garland, OEL, Podz, etc), the current stars we have, being part of a crowd for the first time in ages (one that should be pretty lively), and my first time watching a Canucks game in another rival’s building- I’ve never been so pumped for a game in my life. 

I was looking at the Gametime app, and if you’re willing to go on a weeknight you can get some decent games for <$70. I saw Flyers and Avs for about $65. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Locke Lamora said:

Now if you were to only base things on Training Camp it would definitely NOT stick. They were hemmed in their own zone far more than they were on the attack. But yeah, I know…its only Training Camp. The preseason will be much more revealing.

Thinking about what I saw with Podz over that last 3 days I actually think Travis Green has to convince the kid to free himself for some offensive thrust. He is so obviously wired for defence and patrolling his zone of ice in the D zone - with his signature legs apart glide with his stick extended out one handed - that he’s often way behind his line mates when they break on up the ice. The Russian coaches really seemed to have done a number on the kid

Klimovich however….the kid just oozes offensive flair from his very pores. His skating was FAR better than I expected. As someone mentioned before he gets visibly down on himself when I he misses the net with a shot or fumbles a pass. At moments like this you are reminded he is freakin’ 18 years old.

As I’ve mentioned, Hoglander is just looking incredible right now. Gadj has made a step…now whether or not its enough for him to start in Van, not sure how Travis would view that. Loved how Lockwood looked. Jett Woo’s performance should silence some of his doubters too. His skating actually looked very good to me.

Woo has a solid hit, I was looking at the scrimmage highlights and thought it was 53 laying out guys, thinking, “$&!#, Horvat is going full Ox this season!’ But it was 52 Woo Laying out guys with clean solid checks.  

Get him as many reps as possible and meet a new not quite ready top 4 RHD that can put fear into players coming down the wing.  

Gads is in form and looking a lot like the net presence he was in junior and if he keeps this up, I see his 2nd round status as valid… same with Woo. 

Podz is showing Green he can be trusted to be a professional player and attend to his own end.  

he has the ‘Legend’ on speed dial and don’t think if given the Green light to start playing more aggressively, that Podz can’t switch gears.  

he has done so in Russia and his play offs in the KHL and WJC were great indications of Podz’s long term outlook considering his size, his defensive awareness and his tenacious puck hound ability.  

would love to see a Hogz Miller Podz line in training camp.  

or Hogz Bo and Podz.  

some really hard shifts coming for the defence when those combos get rolled out.  

Lockwood has always taken the body and played a Gallagher type game.  Expect him to break a few times being totally oblivious to his own safety.  

motte 2.0….

Kilm is a gifted natural scorer.  PP time with EP40, Brock, Hughes and OEL would be a great sight one day.  

wonderful skater and he should be spending as much time with Hogz and Podz as possible, those two are already pro world class at off season training.  

Hogz could start his own camps in the off season.  

JB and Greens team looked really good in scrimmage, the jump and timing seemed legit and everyone, after the bag skate, seemed to be clicking.

Rahbone has beaten OJ, the bag skate.  OJ has some issues and with his history, it could be legit health related due to his covid illness last season.  The after affects for those subject to the harsher illness is all unknown at this time, reports are of serious long term organ damage to the lung primarily, but not limited to the lungs.  

let’s hope whatever is the wind issue is not due to a lack of preparation on OJ’s part.  We don’t need another distraction like JV gave us last year and OJ has one real shot, this is it and if he ‘flops’ again, then I cannot see Green keeping him up in Van.  Lucky he may clear waivers if he does flop again.  It smartened Garner up and he managed to do okay for a season or two.  

love to see Gads skating so well. 

he would be a welcome addition in a year or so.  

good times and nice to see Brock looking so happy to be back.  Hughes and EP40 will be in the fold soon, that smile said it all.  

Edited by Phat Fingers
Sp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Woo has a solid hit, I was looking at the scrimmage highlights and thought it was 53 laying out guys, thinking, “$&!#, Horvat is going full Ox this season!’ But it was 52 Woo Laying out guys with clean solid checks.  

Get him as many reps as possible and meet a new not quite ready top 4 RHD that can put fear into players coming down the wing.  

Gads is in form and looking a lot like the net presence he was in junior and if he keeps this up, I see his 2nd round status as valid… same with Woo. 

Podz is showing Green he can be trusted to be a professional player and attend to his own end.  

he has the ‘Legend’ on speed dial and don’t think if given the Green light to start playing more aggressively, that Podz can’t switch gears.  

he has done so in Russia and his play offs in the KHL and WJC were great indications of Podz’s long term outlook considering his size, his defensive awareness and his tenacious puck hound ability.  

would love to see a Hogz Miller Podz line in training camp.  

or Hogz Bo and Podz.  

some really hard shifts coming for the defence when those combos get rolled out.  

Lockwood has always taken the body and played a Gallagher type game.  Expect him to break a few times being totally oblivious to his own safety.  

motte 2.0….

Kilm is a gifted natural scorer.  PP time with EP40, Brock, Hughes and OEL would be a great sight one day.  

wonderful skater and he should be spending as much time with Hogz and Podz as possible, those two are already pro world class at off season training.  

Hogz could start his own camps in the off season.  

JB and Greens team looked really good in scrimmage, the jump and timing seemed legit and everyone, after the bag skate, seemed to be clicking.

Rahbone has beaten OJ, the bag skate.  OJ has some issues and with his history, it could be legit health related due to his covid illness last season.  The after affects for those subject to the harsher illness is all unknown at this time, reports are of serious long term organ damage to the lung primarily, but not limited to the lungs.  

let’s hope whatever is the wind issue is not due to a lack of preparation on OJ’s part.  We don’t need another distraction like JV gave us last year and OJ has one real shot, this is it and if he ‘flops’ again, then I cannot see Green keeping him up in Van.  Lucky he may clear waivers if he does flop again.  It smartened Garner up and he managed to do okay for a season or two.  

love to see Gads skating so well. 

he would be a welcome addition in a year or so.  

good times and nice to see Brock looking so happy to be back.  Hughes and EP40 will be in the fold soon, that smile said it all.  

People I've talked to say OJ was solid in camp

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

People I've talked to say OJ was solid in camp

That's the first positive report of Juolevi's play that I've heard.  He was on the ice for every goal white scored in the scrimmage, got turnstyled by Horvat and one guy who was there thought he was the worst player on the ice for both teams.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

That's the first positive report of Juolevi's play that I've heard.  He was on the ice for every goal white scored in the scrimmage, got turnstyled by Horvat and one guy who was there thought he was the worst player on the ice for both teams.

Just going by what I heard from a CPL people there.  I only saw video clips

On 9/20/2021 at 11:08 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

23887640_web1_2021011014014-5ffb4fda10f6

Last Updated: September 22, 2021

Main Camp Schedule (subject to change)

DATE TIME LOCATION EVENT  
Sept. 22nd, 2021 9:30 AM Rogers Arena Media  
Sept. 23rd, 2021 9 AM - 1:15 PM Abbotsford Centre On-Ice  
Sept. 24th, 2021 9 AM - 12:30 PM Abbotsford Centre On-Ice  
Sept. 25th, 2021 10 AM - 1:30 PM Abbotsford Centre On-Ice  

-------------------------

Main Camp Roster

A total of 55 players were invited to the 2021 Canucks Training Camp: 32 forwards, 18 defencemen, and 5 goaltenders.

There are currently 55 players remaining on the Canucks roster. 

Forwards (Invited: 32 | Remaining: 32)

• Vincent Arseneau
  • Justin Bailey
  • Brock Boeser
  • Alex Chiasson
  • Phillip Di Giuseppe
  • Jason Dickinson
  • Justin Dowling
  • Sheldon Dries
  • Carson Focht
  • Jonah Gadjovich
  • Conor Garland
  • Matthew Highmore
  • Nils Hoglander
  • Bo Horvat
  • Ethan Keppen
  • Danila Klimovich
  • Connor Lockhart
  • William Lockwood
  • Jarid Lukosevicius
  • Zack MacEwen
  • J.T. Miller
  • Tyler Motte
  • Tristen Nielsen
  • Tanner Pearson
  • Nic Petan
  • Elias Pettersson
  • Karel Plasek
  • Vasily Podkolzin
  • Sheldon Rempal
  • John Stevens
  • Brandon Sutter
  • Chase Wouters

Defencemen (Invited: 18 | Remaining: 18)

• Madison Bowey
  • Guillaume Brisebois
  • Kyle Burroughs
  • Oliver Ekman-Larsson
  • Travis Hamonic
  • Quinn Hughes
  • Brad Hunt
  • Olli Juolevi
  • Alex Kannok Leipert
  • Brady Keeper
  • Tyler Myers
  • Viktor Persson
  • Tucker Poolman
  • Jack Rathbone
  • Ashton Sautner
  • Luke Schenn
  • Devante Stephens
  • Jett Woo

Goaltenders (Invited: 5 | Remaining: 5)

• Thatcher Demko
  • Michael DiPietro
  • Jaroslav Halak
  • Spencer Martin
  • Arturs Silovs

Assigned

TBD

Released

TBD

Waived

TBD

Injured Reserve

TBD

THanks for doing this yet again! a long time ago i used to try to do one that was never quite as cool as your threads to kick off each year. five stars, would click again.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

Anyone going to be attending a game(s) this upcoming season? I have never watched a Canucks game live. I’m hoping I’ll be able to watch one this year.  Benning, get Huggy Bear and Petey locked up! Make that happen and I’ll consider this offseason a win.

ME!   My son has an ice pack and I usually get a game in with him and I have a wonderful friend with season tickets (she is a die hard fan and amazing) so I generally go to a few games with her.

There's nothing quite like being there in person.  It's an amazing atmosphere and there's really fun to be had no matter where you sit.  I've actually had more fun way up in the rafters than I have right behind the goal about a dozen rows up.   On the glass was amazing but only for the crash and bang in your face experience....better to "see" the game up higher where the view isn't obstructed at all.

15 minutes ago, stawns said:

Just going by what I heard from a CPL people there.  I only saw video clips

Rob Zepp, has posted favourably about Ollie's increased mobility, observed at this camp.

from the Podkolzin thread

"OJ's lateral movement looked excellent.   Wonder if his knee issues of past four years are finally a thing of the past?    Kid has huge upside if that is the case."

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The media takeaway from camp seems to be that OJ is on the out. We'll see if he can turn things around in the pre-season.

Still need another LHD that can PK. Maybe they'll try to use Hunt there if Juolevi keeps struggling.

All OJ has to do is be good defensively, as it sounds like JR has some work to do there. Based on what I saw last season OJ will be fine.

You lost me at "media takeaway"

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

No COVID still weirds me out.

Live hockey is magical.  If you can afford it pay for good seats and go early to watch the warm up. Go right to the glass. 

Also target games with high end talent. Pitt, Wash, To, Oilers. Avoid Columbus etc. NYI boring too.

Hughes is even better live. He is tiny. I was surprised how small he actually is and how good he is. The camera doesn't always pick it up but he jumps up all the time creating plays.

Edited by Chris12345