Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

1 minute ago, CanucksJay said:

Horvat signed a team friendly deal

So did Boeser

So did the Sedins

So did Edler

So did Salo

Maybe we are spoiled as we had great character guys who sacrificed for the team previously.

I am curious though.  maybe i'm missing something

Why do you side with the players? My thought would be that a a fan of the team, I want our GM to stretch the money as much as possible and sign as much talent as possible when restricted by a team salary cap.

Signing someone for maximum value in a salary cap era has a direct correlation to who else a GM can sign. 

I want the Canucks to be a perrenial contender and a cup champion.

Best way this can be achieved is by signing Petterson and Hughes to fair deals (fair is relative I suppose) 

Players have more risk. I could be wrong but I just think that. I don't think Horvat or Brock took pay cuts.

Agree that we need to chill a bit...

2 rational facts a bit lost in all this:

1) players holding out is a consequence of the CBA, it's the only leverage players have, IMO there's lots of flaws in the RFA construction but that's another discussion

2) the budget for these contracts was determined by the franchise months ago, no way that suddenly changes so I think it's more of an issue with term more than anything, having both on e.g. 3 year deals might be hard to handle, but anyway there's no way either player is getting 9-10 mil on a shorter deal just because of the threat of holding out

6 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Totally. I mean I don't have proof but if you wanted to win why would you sign in Van? 

I ain't bashing here but you should take league minimum to play in Tampa.....or every player should sign in Van for league min.

I can only really recall 3 really friendly team deals. 

You especially don't take a team friendly deal at 22. Could have a career ending injury at any time. Maybe at 33 once you have made you money and want a cup.

To be honest I think its a scale and every players leans in one direction or another to varying degrees. Everyone has different priorities and I can't fault you for trying to maximize your family's financial security. I wouldn't have too much of an issue if one of these players came out and said "I want to get paid". I know they wouldn't because its bad optics and I don't expect them to. But I do have an issue when players say "I want to win" but then hold out for every nickel and dime and then its somehow entirely management's fault the team isn't a winner. If your attitude is "I want to get paid the absolute maximum amount I can but also play for a winner, everybody else just needs to suck it up and go around me" then I lose respect.

Edited by McBackup
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Chris12345 said:

Totally. I mean I don't have proof but if you wanted to win why would you sign in Van? 

I ain't bashing here but you should take league minimum to play in Tampa.....or every player should sign in Van for league min.

I can only recall 3 really friendly team deals. 

You especially don't take a team friendly deal at 22. Could have a career ending injury at any time. Maybe at 33 once you have made you money and want a cup.

You do make a good point here.

I guess the other way of looking at this is Toronto.

They sign their stars and then guys like Thornton and Spezza come for chump change and in Spezza's case, outperforms the stars of the team.

Thornton and Spezza only came because Marner, Matthews and Tavares gives the Leafs a chance to win.

But then again, what if Spezza and Thornton weren't from Toronto and it wasn't their home town team the idolized growing up.  Would they still have signed for chump change to come?  I doubt it.

If Van overpays on Hughes and Petterson, who comes to Van at the twighlight of their career lookign for a cup?

Nugent Hopkins? 

Don’t let the media and this hold out fuel you, for all we know JB may be trying to get them to sign 5 million dollar deals. JB is a rockstar with RFA’s. Can we just reserve judgement until we see what happens here. 

Feel a lot of anger and tension from fans here. Let it do it’s thing then we will see where we’re at.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

its not entitled to get your market value though. 

What is their market value?  They both had down years last year.  This on a contract year, sure EP got hurt last year (which in my opinion doesn't strengthen his value) but he wasn't lighting the world on fire before that.  They both seem to want to blame the team around them, yet at the same time want to make huge money (which means the teams success or lack of it is largely on them).  They are playing both sides of the coin and teaming up to form a mini Union to do so and quiet frankly it's starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth.  

• Cheers 3

6 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

What is market value for them?

I feel like JB wouldhave already offered that

8 mil +/- 500k. 

I'm sure he has. This does really feel like its all driven from the agent side to create as much pressure as possible. I think the agent is using us as a test case for his next round of negotiations with other teams. 

Just now, Devron44 said:

Don’t let the media and this hold out fuel you, for all we know JB may be trying to get them to sign 5 million dollar deals. JB is a rockstar with RFA’s. Can we just reserve judgement until we see what happens here. 

Feel a lot of anger and tension from fans here. Let it do it’s thing then we will see where we’re at.

I'm going to really take this to heart.

I love both players.  And this team.

I'm going to wash my mouth out with soap now, do some yoga and exercise some patience.

I feel that the anger, on my part, was hearing from a bro that this team is one of the worst.  Only based on a  year that was total garbage...and ignoring the playoff run the year before.  This team gets no respect and that's nothing new.

It's tiring.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, thrago said:

What is their market value?  They both had down years last year.  This on a contract year, sure EP got hurt last year (which in my opinion doesn't strengthen his value) but he wasn't lighting the world on fire before that.  They both seem to want to blame the team around them, yet at the same time want to make huge money (which means the teams success or lack of it is largely on them).  They are playing both sides of the coin and teaming up to form a mini Union to do so and quiet frankly it's starting to leave a bad taste in my mouth.  

exactly right........both players get superstar hype, but it's only potential at this point.  Both players are still at a point where they could go either way.  

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

You do make a good point here.

I guess the other way of looking at this is Toronto.

They sign their stars and then guys like Thornton and Spezza come for chump change and in Spezza's case, outperforms the stars of the team.

Thornton and Spezza only came because Marner, Matthews and Tavares gives the Leafs a chance to win.

But then again, what if Spezza and Thornton weren't from Toronto and it wasn't their home town team the idolized growing up.  Would they still have signed for chump change to come?  I doubt it.

If Van overpays on Hughes and Petterson, who comes to Van at the twighlight of their career lookign for a cup?

Nugent Hopkins? 

Exactly yea I mean if you have $100M and no cup, whatever.

But with Petey and Hughes if they get hurt tomorrow they really don't have that much money (I'm guessing) and they don't have a cup!

It does create a problem when guys like Spezza are playing their hearts out for the love of the game and Matthews lays an egg for a pay cheque.

Edited by Chris12345

1 minute ago, -DLC- said:

I'm going to wash my mouth out with soap now, do some yoga and exercise some patience.

I feel that the anger, on my part, was hearing from a bro that this team is one of the worst.  Only based on a  year that was total garbage...and ignoring the playoff run the year before.  This team gets no respect and that's nothing new.

It's tiring.

The tinfoil hat part of me after watching Jack Hughes jump around like a golden retriever puppy when the Devils picked Luke says he may be trying to poison the well in Van in order to eventually play with his brother. I know I'm likely overthinking it but still.

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, TFerguson said:

The agents work for the players, not the other way around. 

Petey and Hughes are ultimately in control 

They have the ability to say yes or no to a proposed deal, but the agents are the ones actively negotiating.

If you were in their position, you'd be asking for what you felt is reasonable as well.

2 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

It's tiring.

it is tiring. everyone just wants something to enjoy after a crappy year and we're talking about who's entitled, etc. 

Petey in particular seems like a pretty good egg. The way he's handled himself, who he calls a friend, etc. speaks volumes. So I don't think he's looking to hurt the team at his personal gain. 

The agent on the other hand... 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

The agent on the other hand... 

If we're being charitable to all sides here, players and management, I think its only fair we give the agent the benefit of the doubt too. He's working for the players. Trying to secure the best possible contracts for them. Its not like he's going to sign the contracts himself or undercut his clients for the sake of the team. He's doing his job.

6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

It's tiring.

Agree with ya there. I was fine with what Jack said but only because I thought he could relate to his minus on a team that struggled as well. However I too get excited when I see things like where the Canucks are predicted to finish this year.

We have a flippin great team imo. Now probably a top offensive team in the league with the additions this off-season. Our defence will be better and we have one of the best goalie in the league imo. I do prefer this to the latter though. Proving people wrong will feel good, real good!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1