The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

2 hours ago, cdgraham said:

elias-pettersson's-contractcomparables.png

Good chart.

And this shows quite nicely that Pettersson is likely worth around $7-8m on a short term 3 year deal (comparable to Barzal), where he will still be an expiring RFA.

A longer term deal 6+ years could see him around the $9-10m mark (comparables are Eichel, Rantanen, Marner)where he will be an expiring UFA.

5 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Good chart.

And this shows quite nicely that Pettersson is likely worth around $7-8m on a short term 3 year deal (comparable to Barzal), where he will still be an expiring RFA.

A longer term deal 6+ years could see him around the $9-10m mark (comparables are Eichel, Rantanen, Marner)where he will be an expiring UFA.

I think the chart illustrates that EP should NOT be in the same range as Marner, Rantanen or Eichel. All of those players had more productive 3rd years than their average - indicating that their ppg was increasing, or at least their 3rd year was better than the previous 2. EP's has decreased, likely in part due to injury but that comes into it as well. Not to mention that those 3 players had ppg values in another tier above EP.

I love EP but we can't afford to over pay him if we want to be competitive and, frankly, he hasn't earned anywhere close to a $9M+ pay day. It's worth noting that no player on that list making over $8M has made it past the 2nd round of the playoffs.

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Good chart.

Agreed.  Good rule of thumb for Petey is 7m for RFA years and 10M for UFA years.

So:

3 years x7 = 21M/3 = 7M per

4 years is 3 at 7M and 1 at 10M = 31M/4 = 7.75M per

5 years is 3 at 7M and 2 at 10M = 41M/5 = 8.2m per

6 years is 3 at 7M and 3 at 10M = 51M/6 = 8.5M per

7 years is 3 at 7m and 4 at 10M = 61M/7 = 8.7M per

8 years is 3 at 7M and 5 at 10m = 71M/8 = 8.9M per

Not exact but a decent measure of how it will likely play out.

13 hours ago, aGENT said:

All of these guys and the other ones you've mentioned are of varying ages, ability, contract status, teams, cities, taxes etc.

Unless you factor for those things, you're not making accurate comparisons.

AP gets paid relatively 'less'  than Nurse, Werenski etc is because he's now 31 and the back half of his deal is bound to be less productive than a guy like Werenski on the back half of his. So his AAV comes down to factor that in. He's effectively being paid less for those latter years. Likewise for the contender, no taxes, nice city etc.

Chabot got less because his deal covers half RFA years. Same reason Hughes wouldn't get $9m today even though hell likely get at least that as a UFA in 4+ years

Again, UFA aged D are making largely the same as they have for a while now (a hair more with inflation). 

Werenski, Nurse and Jones are buying overlapping prime years and UFA years. Not factoring that in explains your confusion.

I'm not confused.  I'm just surprised at the deals they got given flat cap and that , well none of them are top d's and won anything.   It's still rapid inflation, no matter how you look at it.   I doubt QHs is going to ever be more then Reinhardt was or even approach what he did - but he's still going to get paid like a top D.   Even though he is not.   Doubt JB or anyone factored that in.   

Edit:  Top D after a bridge that is. 

Edited by IBatch

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

I'm not confused.  I'm just surprised at the deals they got given flat cap and that , well none of them are top d's and won anything.   It's still rapid inflation, no matter how you look at it.   I doubt QHs is going to ever be more then Reinhardt was or even approach what he did - but he's still going to get paid like a top D.   Even though he is not.   Doubt JB or anyone factored that in.   

I like the Reinhart comparable but this bolded part rubs me the wrong way.  Not sure if it's nostalgia talking or what but you don't think Quinn Hughes can "approach" 3 top 5 finishes (for D obviously) and 4 top 10 over the course of his career?  Lol I think I'll take that bet.  Reinharts' career numbers appear to be within reach as well.  That is significant considering that Reinhart played during the highest scoring era of hockey.

Disrespectful to Quinn imo!

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Well I'm not sure why your 'surprised' either. They're right in line with what top pair D have gotten paid, for prime UFA years, plus a bit of inflation, for years.

16 hours ago, cripplereh said:

way I see it Petey should get 6.5ish long term 7 at very most

Hughes has not fully proved himself and can not get an offer sheet so he will more then likely get a 3 year deal at 5.75 to 6 at most, and like others have pointed out Hughes needs to be a bit better defensively to get the bigger bucks! End of last season last 15 plus games he did not score much so he needs work to get the bigger bucks in my opinion

people here so over rate our players and want to give them big bucks , but when we do people complain so which is???

If you were GM, and Petey wanted 7.5, would you let him walk? What about Hughes at 7 mill?

16 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I think the durability should be considered heavily, his PPG also decreased in his 3rd year. I think 6.5 is bridge deal price, long term is prob 7.5-8M. Kyle Connor and Barzal are probably the best comparables.

The difference is just how good defensively Pettersson is though...

The guy is elite defensively as a forward. Connor isn't a two-way player and Barzal isn't on Petey's level. He's decent but he certainly isn't Petey level good defensively. Pettersson has had defensive highlights as a point-getting forward. There's not many players that backcheck the way he does. That's absolutely pivotal at the NHL level where the transition game is so good on so many teams. 

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

The difference is just how good defensively Pettersson is though...

The guy is elite defensively as a forward. Connor isn't a two-way player and Barzal isn't on Petey's level. He's decent but he certainly isn't Petey level good defensively. Pettersson has had defensive highlights as a point-getting forward. There's not many players that backcheck the way he does. That's absolutely pivotal at the NHL level where the transition game is so good on so many teams. 

It's a good point and why I'd be fine paying him more than those guys but he is within that range. 7.5 is a fair price imo.

• Vintage 1

Just now, I.Am.Ironman said:

It's a good point and why I'd be fine paying him more than those guys but he is within that range. 7.5 is a fair price imo.

I would be over the moon if we got him for 7.5. I think it'd allow us to remain competitive while still getting him close to a fair price contract wise. 

As a GM I'd be willing to go up to 9 for him though. 9 I wouldn't be happy about but I think he'd earn the wage, but at the end of the day it'd hurt the team's overall success. Contracts like the Sedins had allowed the team to be successful during their tenure. Contracts like Marchand and Bergeron have in Boston allow that team to maintain their success. Teams like Tampa are an anomaly and even required them to circumvent the cap (legally of course, sadly) to remain competitive. 

Miller is a steal, but you need a few of those contracts and to find cheap depth. Right now we have some cheap depth, we just need a few nice contracts and fill up the middle with some great signings and all of a sudden the team could be a real contender. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Baratheon said:

I like the Reinhart comparable but this bolded part rubs me the wrong way.  Not sure if it's nostalgia talking or what but you don't think Quinn Hughes can "approach" 3 top 5 finishes (for D obviously) and 4 top 10 over the course of his career?  Lol I think I'll take that bet.  Reinharts' career numbers appear to be within reach as well.  That is significant considering that Reinhart played during the highest scoring era of hockey.

Disrespectful to Quinn imo!

Quinn has only played 2 seasons (during Covid) and the last season was dismal for the entire team, for so many reasons.

I think it's way too early to project his entire career based on these 2 seasons.

Reinhart was a great player for sure, but his injury record is pretty bad.  3 seasons with less than 33 games (648 games in 11 seasons).  Retired at 30yrs old.

• Cheers 1