The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

i know peeps are going to jump all over me, but i am getting pretty tired of waiting for Petey and Quinn to sign  here. it is about time for them to man up and just sign or go somewhere else. i know that cdc are patient but other sites have lost patience as each day passes! why do they have to wait til the bitter end to sign or not sign, it doesn't make them more popular, in fact i would say the opposite 

• RoughGame 1

3 hours ago, bree2 said:

i know peeps are going to jump all over me, but i am getting pretty tired of waiting for Petey and Quinn to sign  here. it is about time for them to man up and just sign or go somewhere else. i know that cdc are patient but other sites have lost patience as each day passes! why do they have to wait til the bitter end to sign or not sign, it doesn't make them more popular, in fact i would say the opposite 

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

its what a lot of agents do now with the top tier guys. Even Bo waited until camp. 

I think we know too much now about this kind of stuff, its never good to see how the sausage is made. 

Also having the same agent has muddied the waters even more. IIRC early thought was that would be to the players advantage, but maybe its adv. team now.

The Canucks have a big chunk of cap space, now its on the agents to figure out how to divide it between their clients. 

The recent speculation that Hughes may go long term has added another layer. Just seems like a complex negotiation in general with lots to consider.

I'm not worried yet, think It'll get done soon.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, JM_ said:

its what a lot of agents do now with the top tier guys. Even Bo waited until camp. 

I think we know too much now about this kind of stuff, its never good to see how the sausage is made. 

exactly this. with no real negotiating position other than holding out which looks bad on the player, its tough for the agent or the players to pressure for more money.

with Pettersons comments on wanting to play for a winning team this is where he will have to put up or shut up. I am not saying they shouldnt get paid well, just fit it into the cap space so they can be very competitive.

if theres 16 million left then work out what that is between the two and lets get on with this.

• Vintage 2

16 hours ago, McBackup said:

In regards to walking away as far as offer sheets go, I think its the inverse of players being available in a trade. The adage is "everyone is tradeable for the right price". If someone wants to give up a ton of high valued assets for a player, no matter who they are you have to look at it and consider making the move. The inverse is true with offersheets. If someone came along and offered Pettersson 8 years at 15 mil per, you have to at the very least consider it. Obviously thats an absurd overvaluation and wouldn't happen, but the principle behind the idea is there.

My walk away number for Pettersson is 12.85 million per season, any term. Anything less and I likely match

• RoughGame 1

8 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

My walk away number for Pettersson is 12.85 million per season, any term. Anything less and I likely match

A penny over $10,276,829.00 and I'd probably take the 4 unprotected first round picks.  Would hurt short-term, but we'd be so much stronger in the long- run overall as a franchise. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Also having the same agent has muddied the waters even more. IIRC early thought was that would be to the players advantage, but maybe its adv. team now.

The Canucks have a big chunk of cap space, now its on the agents to figure out how to divide it between their clients. 

The recent speculation that Hughes may go long term has added another layer. Just seems like a complex negotiation in general with lots to consider.

I'm not worried yet, think It'll get done soon.

I think they're going to end up with similar cap hits right around $6.5-$7m. Petety will be on a 3 year bridge and Hughes longer term at 5-6 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

A penny over $10,276,829.00 and I'd probably take the 4 unprotected first round picks.  Would hurt short-term, but we'd be so much stronger in the long- run overall as a franchise. 

Nah I think it’s worth retaining petey at 11 or 12 million. He’s better than whatever those 4 picks will end up being. Once you get close to 13 million though, it really hamstrings your cap situation and unless he turns into a generational level player, it is a guaranteed overpayment based on my model.

i reaaalllyyy really doubt anyone submits an OS for that much though

• RoughGame 1

9 hours ago, aGENT said:

I think they're going to end up with similar cap hits right around $6.5-$7m. Petety will be on a 3 year bridge and Hughes longer term at 5-6 years.

Yes I agree with you completely. Petey 3years at 7M per.  Hughes 6 years at 7M per.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, JM_ said:

And that's why I'll never eat a hot dog again... How It's Made, a pox upon thee!