The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

6 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

Didn’t like Peteys comments and his attitude isn’t the greatest just trade him now for Eichel and call it a day

yeah how dare he want to win. 

JE has shown a lot more issues over attitude and injuries than Petey has by miles. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 3

34 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

About playing for a winning team some where else in the next few years if we ain’t winning

Please quote where he said he would play elsewhere if we aren't winning.

All I saw was him saying he wanted to play for a winner, I saw nothing about him leaving.

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, shiznak said:

Boeser will be going into his 3 contract year, meaning we will need to buy his UFAs years. If he continues to score at a 40 goals pace. You’re looking at 7-9M on his next contract (with term).

Hughes = 8M

Boeser = 8M

Pettersson = 6-7M (Bridge)

OEL = 7M

That’s 29-31M on only 4 players.

Yes, it's doable.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Again, depends what you consider talent.  It's also much easier to do the things he does in this era compared to other more physical eras.  As far as skill goes, I'd bet Lumme would be right there if he played now.

Again, for me, its not about offense as much as it is talent at both ends of the rink

jyrki was great, but it's not close, and I bet you a paycheque that he would tell you that himself. 

I also disagree that it's easier to do what quinn does now than it would have been 20 or 30 years ago. standing out because of your skating in an era where EVERYBODY skates really well is an amazing feat, whereas if he played in the 90s with the skills he has, he'd be putting up 100+ points a season. you can't hit or obstruct what you can't catch, and outside of a small handful of outliers, those guys back then just couldn't skate like everybody can now. 

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Hughes likely wouldn't even have been able to play in the league in the 80's-90's with the hitting, slashing, interference etc.

You put Lumme in today's game, with modern equipment and training and he would be an elite dman.  He was supremely skilled and was an excellent two way dman

phil housley, brian rafalski?

17 minutes ago, tas said:

phil housley, brian rafalski?

I would not put Quinn Hughes in the same category as Rafalski, though he's ballpark, and not even remotely close to housley. Both those guys were small but rafalski couod take care of himself and Housley is one of the best to ever play the position.......both played hard at both ends of the ice 

I'm not saying Hughes isn't immensely talented, I just don't think he's heads and tails the most talented dman they've had.

• Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, stawns said:

Hughes likely wouldn't even have been able to play in the league in the 80's-90's with the hitting, slashing, interference etc.

You put Lumme in today's game, with modern equipment and training and he would be an elite dman.  He was supremely skilled and was an excellent two way dman

He was a favourite of mine, but the reality is the game is MUCH faster than it was.  

Quinn's pretty elusive and good at maneuvering out of trouble.  Don't sell him short on his ability to use his skating in ways others use brute force.

26 minutes ago, stawns said:

I would not put Quinn Hughes in the same category as Rafalski, though he's ballpark, and not even remotely close to housley. Both those guys were small but rafalski couod take care of himself and Housley is one of the best to ever play the position.......both played hard at both ends of the ice 

I'm not saying Hughes isn't immensely talented, I just don't think he's heads and tails the most talented dman they've had.

"Yet"....that's to be determined.   The hope is that he will be.

I, too, am a huge Lumme fan...he was incredible.  I kind of hate the greatest "ever" because, for me, things evolve over time and so nothing should claim a "forever" title.  It's like music for me...the greatest ever 20 years ago has changed as new stuff is introduced.

There's no denying Quinn has something special...where that takes him is yet to be determined.

• Cheers 2

50 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yep. 

10 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

He was a favourite of mine, but the reality is the game is MUCH faster than it was.  

Quinn's pretty elusive and good at maneuvering out of trouble.  Don't sell him short on his ability to use his skating in ways others use brute force.

The reality of the game - it's much faster because they got rid of one pass by removing the redline.   And the fourth line has reverted back to what it used to be pre-PHI have some goons or die days.   That's how i see it anyways.    The 2000's the talent level lagged way behind as expansion had exceeded up and comers.  As soon as the Craig Ludwig and Darian Hatcher's of the game lost their jobs things changed.   Zubov getting over 70 points for the first time since he entered the league ... at 37 says enough about that.   The game re-set for the skilled players again.   The 80's Oilers today would of had a field day against any team we have now. Cap wouldn't allow them to be together but man they'd be in trouble.  

Edited by IBatch

As a fan, I sure feel antsy about wanting to see a deal soon. 
As much as we’d like to think the Canucks are going to take off this season, those two guys are so important to our team. It feels like if they miss training camp and exhibition games it’ll set us back, and it’s hard to play catch up in this league. 
On the other hand, we need these deals to be as fair as can be. If we lock too much cap on them, or finish these contracts as soon as they could become UFAs, we’ll be in the same position as Toronto. 
Such a sticky situation.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Jurki ‘Stone Face’ Lumme.  The guy was awesome.  

He had the best backhanders to clear the puck out of our own zone on the penalty kill. And such a unique skating style, kind of like Phil Housley.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

On 9/11/2021 at 12:53 AM, MattJVD said:

That quote was a joke because he had absolutely no memory of wearing the t-shirt or even knowing where Vancouver was. Then earlier in the week reporters pointed out they found a photo of him with a Vancouver t-shirt on as a kid, hence why he made that joke. He was being sly with that comment lol. 

Regardless though, I'm quite sure Petey is very happy to be playing here lol. But yeah, that quote was definitely a joke on Petey's end.