The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

17 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Plus some LTIR from Ferland if I'm not mistaken.

My calcs included Ferland's LTIR.

But it totally depends on the make up of the roster. The 23-man roster below gives us $3.15m of LTIR relief to spend on a Hamonic replacement.

So it includes the $3.5m relief for Ferland on LTIR and taking away Hamonic's $3m. If we actually had a Hamonic replacement then we would need to waive a Dman (likely Bowey) and removing his cap hit would actually give us more like $3.9m to spend on Hamonic's replacement.

Miller EP Boeser

Hogs Horvat Garland

Pearson Dickinson Podz

Gadjovich Sutter Motte

(Highmore)

OEL Poolman

Hughes Schenn

Rathbone Myers

(Juolevi, Bowey)

Demko (Halak)

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Petersson, Horvat, Miller, Boeser, Garland, Hoglander, Pearson  Total salary 33.466 Million

Matthews, Marner, Tavares  Total Salary 33.543 Million

I like the look of that.

Greatest post ever!

• Cheers 2

If I’m being completely honest, I’d rather see Petey for 6 years and Hughes for 3, but maybe Petey just needs that feeling of not being tied down, and we’ll be able to extend to another good contract in a few years.

Overall, if these signings happen in the amounts they’re rumoured to be, this team is looking super sexy.

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Thank you JB for not doing a Dubass, and ruining our Cup chances by horribly overpaying our top guys.  Leafs are LOSERS!  

Yes, this.

Mebbe our kids have realized that their best chance of a Stanley is when they actively contribute to its success.

NHL folklore is littered with players who bounced from the best 'now' deal to the best 'next' deal before realizing that was fool's game all along.

Whoever in hell will remember the best paid player from any given year?

Do we not recall, or perhaps prefer to forget, the likes of Marchand's blue collar, fervent will to win?

Build me a team brim-full of his ilk.

Guys don't want to turn up at camp and contribute?  Then sittem then trade' em.

Girliboy weak character never won diddley, anywhere.

15 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

Petersson, Horvat, Miller, Boeser, Garland, Hoglander, Pearson  Total salary 33.466 Million

I like the look of that.

Jeebus...we have 7 top 6 forwards for 33 million and the laughs have 3 hahaha.

God I love it!!

1 minute ago, Dixon Ward said:

I like the look of that.

What makes it funnier is that Matthews' contract takes him straight to free agency. 

What the hell was Dubas thinking? XD

• Haha 3
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Western Red said:

Is this keeping in mind the QO is the average AAV?

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

They've changed the rule on the qualifying offer where it's based on the AAV I believe rather than the last year. Or something like that.

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Forgot about the high QO, but you're probably right. Wouldn't be surprised if it was something like $10M or thereabouts.

In the new CBA the qualifying offer can only be 120% of the AAV of the overall contract with the salary made on the last year having to be at or exceeding that in order to receive that 120%.

An example being 8M AAV on a deal with 10M of salary on the last year of that deal would only equate to 9.6M on the qualifying offer since it can't exceed 120% of the AAV. 120% of 8M = 9.6M.

I believe they will definitely maximize that 120% they're able to get on their next qualifying deals if they do bridges. I think the term is a year apart because it creates twice as much hassle when you have to deal with 2 RFAs of this caliber, especially when they can buddy up with agents.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Slegr said:

If I’m being completely honest, I’d rather see Petey for 6 years and Hughes for 3, but maybe Petey just needs that feeling of not being tied down, and we’ll be able to extend to another good contract in a few years.

Overall, if these signings happen in the amounts they’re rumoured to be, this team is looking super sexy.

My guess is that JB sees EP as having the higher ceiling salary and so EP at 6 years with QH at 3 years would be more than the money available.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Slegr said:

I agree, Hughes setting himself up to be the whipping boy getting paid more than OEL when clearly his on ice play is not there yet and setting Petey up for a big pay day in 3 years while leaving no money for depth this year and raises over the next two summers.  Worst possible outcome for me honestly and very good chance we’ll regret it

• Haha 1
  • Wat 4
  • RoughGame 1