The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

Can someone please explain to me why these negotiations are taking so long? It’s not like there is anything more pressing than this for the organization.  Jim “ran out of time” Benning ought to be fully focused on these 2 contract extensions. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Can someone please explain to me why these negotiations are taking so long? It’s not like there is anything more pressing than this for the organization.  Jim “ran out of time” Benning ought to be fully focused on these 2 contract extensions. 

Expansion draft.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Wouldnt they have someone for contracts and others for ED? I would hope so. They got pearsons deal done quick, was hoping this would be done by now.

they'll expose Madison Bowey and probably resign after expansion, kinda curious though who there gunna pick with the whole JV thing going on.

EDIT: anyone know if we can still expose Jake with the court stuff going on?

Edited by TNucks1

42 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

they'll expose Madison Bowey and probably resign after expansion, kinda curious though who there gunna pick with the whole JV thing going on.

EDIT: anyone know if we can still expose Jake with the court stuff going on?

Yes we can 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Wouldnt they have someone for contracts and others for ED? I would hope so. They got pearsons deal done quick, was hoping this would be done by now.

Other teams also haven't signed their RFAs.   I don't see anyone blaming Sakic for Makar not having his extension yet.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, shiznak said:

Chychrun wasn’t even a mainstay on the PP that year. He only played 138 minutes, while Hughes had over 250 minutes. Chychrun also didn’t have the luxury of playing with Pettersson, Miller, Horvat and Boeser. The best offensive threat the Coyotes had was Hall, who wasn’t on the team at the beginning of the year. The next best player was Schmaltz with 45 points. In perspective, he would have been tied with Pearson on our team in points. 

I only compared their production this year, because both team struggled on offense. Yet, Chychrun had breakout year, in goals and points. If Chychrun had more offensive help, there’s no doubt in my mind, he would be a 50+ points defensemen.

Again, if he was so offensively gifted he would've been given those minutes like QH had.  They had Keller too.  Arizona always seemed to have the Canucks number so I'm not downplaying them.  But we're comparing equal things.  2nd year to 2nd year.  We both don't get to choose who goes out on the PP.  Vancouver chose QH (later in the season btw, he started on the 2nd PP unit) to quarterback.  If Arizona thought the same way of Chychrun, they woulda had him on the top PP unit.  This past seasons stats mean pretty much nothing to me.  It's an anomaly season that will never happen again.  If Chychrun puts up the same ppg this year, I may have to change my tune a bit, but I still believe that QH will always be a better offensive player, and over time will be a better overall player than Chychrun.  But who knows, I can be wrong too and QH may have a career ending injury this summer (*knock on wood* that this never happens).

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Other teams also haven't signed their RFAs.   I don't see anyone blaming Sakic for Makar not having his extension yet.

No but when JB is signing Taner freaking Pearson over QH and EP,  there is a problem. We don’t have that much Cap room, he prioritized the wrong player and could “run out of time” again.

• RoughGame 2

12 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

No but when JB is signing Taner freaking Pearson over QH and EP,  there is a problem. We don’t have that much Cap room, he prioritized the wrong player and could “run out of time” again.

UFA is different from RFA.

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

Patience is a virtue.  Hughes isn't even subject to an offer sheet; capitulating to whatever demands the agent is making is counterproductive.  That's how you overpay.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, grandmaster said:

What do you mean "taking so long"? The offseason didn't even start until today. We haven't had the draft, the expansion draft, or free agency. Getting these done before the end of the month would be fast.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

These guys are just being dumb and impatient kids. That's like me calling you up and demanding to know why you didn't paint your deck yet when you told me it had to done by the end of summer.

Or wait, maybe you painted it already and just didn't feel it was necessary to let me know. Or maybe you were fixing the plumbing first and focusing on picking out paint for the inside before worrying about this deck that's going to be easy to paint and is getting painted brown.

And you sound like the type of person that “runs out of time” and a procrastinator in life. Your examples are dumb. If you can’t see the organization’s first priority in signing QH and EP then that’s sad.

• RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

And you sound like the type of person that “runs out of time” and a procrastinator in life. Your examples are dumb. If you can’t see the organization’s first priority in signing QH and EP then that’s sad.

And you would be 100% wrong. People would laugh at you for calling me a procrastinator, I'm anything but. I would say you're quite sad because you're crying and complaining about absolutely nothing, like a 5 year old. You already showed you don't know the difference between UFA and RFA. Like c'mon man. Both players are getting signed, no one is running out of time. To think so is a shortcut to thinking and you're not using your brain. 

Let's see.

Pending UFA: can sign with anyone.

Pending RFA, can't deal with any other team till a certain date; then even though offer sheeted by other team, the current team can match; or simply take the CBA mandated picks.

Well, I can see the difference.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

And it takes two sides to come to a deal.  The ask, especially for Hughes who can't sign an offer sheet, is unlikely to increase.  Giving Benning an artificially short time limit is how we overpay on the guys who should be the ceiling for our internal salary structure.  

Just because the negotiations aren't public doesn't mean they aren't happening.  I'd be more concerned if they were, because that would likely mean the agent was the source of the leak.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

we have 10 days before seattle gets 48 hours to have exclusive signing rights with ep40, we cannot match

?

You mean an offer sheet? And yes we could match.

He will be signed before that though.

• Thanks 1