The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

11 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If Colorado offered Makar straight up I would take that and run.

You're living in a dream world I see, Colorado will never do that.

As for the 5 people @VancouverHabitantsuggested, only 3 of those players I would trade QH for.  Makar, Fox, or Heiskeinan and none of those teams are trading them anytime soon.  As for the other 2 players, you don't do the trade because the best player is QH and you will not get enough in a package.  The best player in the deal usually wins the trade for that team.  But in reality, you're never going to get a return that is worthy of QH, so it's a moot point. 

The Canucks window for contending will be in a couple of years when QH will be entering his prime.  No team is gonna trade #1 D-men entering their prime who are on team controlled contracts (unless that specific players asks for a trade).

14 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

As for the 5 people @VancouverHabitantsuggested, only 3 of those players I would trade QH for.  Makar, Fox, or Heiskeinan and none of those teams are trading them anytime soon.  As for the other 2 players, you don't do the trade because the best player is QH and you will not get enough in a package.  The best player in the deal usually wins the trade for that team.  But in reality, you're never going to get a return that is worthy of QH, so it's a moot point. 

The Canucks window for contending will be in a couple of years when QH will be entering his prime.  No team is gonna trade #1 D-men entering their prime who are on team controlled contracts (unless that specific players asks for a trade).

Unless you're of course Marc Bergevin and trading Sergachev. That's still a head scratcher for me. Not saying Canucks will trade QH, but anything is possible

25 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

The whole point of the discussion was that you don’t give Quinn 8x8 as he’s not THE best dman in the league.  It’s not about actually making a trade.  

BTW if these playoffs showed anything, it’s that you need big dmen that can withstand the war of attrition that goes on in the playoffs.  

I think that Quinn and Elias will be great at getting us into the playoffs but I just don’t know if they can withstand the grind to take us all the way. 

5 hours ago, Viper007 said:

My point was to refute the ridiculous notion made that Hughes should never be traded. He isa great young player but as VH pointed out, there are lots of young dmen that would be better overall to trade him for.

No player should beconsidered untouchable in the right trade. I do agree that having Benning be the one to trade him carries way too much risk of getting fleeced.

5 hours ago, sarjakd said:

Unless you're of course Marc Bergevin and trading Sergachev. That's still a head scratcher for me. Not saying Canucks will trade QH, but anything is possible

In hindsight, maybe.  Sergachev is awesome and plays on a team that is already stacked.  Drouin isnt chopped liver. he is stilll young, can come back, and has shown to be a beast in playoffs.  

5 hours ago, Viper007 said:

There are at least 10 other young dmen I'd take over QH.  

• RoughGame 1

5 minutes ago, bree2 said:

Question! other teams are resigning players is there a reason why Petterson and Hughes aren't resigned yet?

No big name RFAs have been re-signed yet.

Its not even the offseason yet, it will all get done in good time. A lot of these agents like to wait until they get a better idea of the market.

Im sure Hughes agent wants Makar to sign and vice versa.

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

My point was to refute the ridiculous notion made that Hughes should never be traded. He isa great young player but as VH pointed out, there are lots of young dmen that would be better overall to trade him for.

No player should beconsidered untouchable in the right trade. I do agree that having Benning be the one to trade him carries way too much risk of getting fleeced.

This is epically dumb.

Look nobody trades Hughes until you find out his ceiling. 

Let's just  trade every great young talent we have under contract in the hopes that we get better not worse.

Epically dumb strategy. 

Is it just me or is it wrong the sign EP40 short term and QH long term? EP40, while getting hurt has a much more well rounded game. He competes at both ends of the ice and we all know about his offense, so to me it would be smarter to sign him long term and give the Defensive liability QH a shorter term contract to see if he can become a better well round D man, not just a smooth skating PP minute munching 1 dimensional offensive D who is poor in the D zone.

I would do a Sergachev type 4 year deal for Hughes around 5m-5.5m max contract. EP40 I would go the full 8 years and try and get him for 8-9m

19 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Is it just me or is it wrong the sign EP40 short term and QH long term? EP40, while getting hurt has a much more well rounded game. He competes at both ends of the ice and we all know about his offense, so to me it would be smarter to sign him long term and give the Defensive liability QH a shorter term contract to see if he can become a better well round D man, not just a smooth skating PP minute munching 1 dimensional offensive D who is poor in the D zone.

I would do a Sergachev type 4 year deal for Hughes around 5m-5.5m max contract. EP40 I would go the full 8 years and try and get him for 8-9m

It’s more about what their agents want.

For Pettersson it makes sense to do a shorter deal because his numbers will likely only get better and the cap will increase when he’s due for a new contract. So he can take 7 mil now for 3 years and then likely get 9-10 mil after that, rather than take 8 mil long term now.

As for Hughes the long term deal makes sense for him now because I’m not sure his numbers will increase that much so he may have already reached peak value. Smarter for him to cash in long term .now at 7-8 mil.

But I agree if you can get Petey long term and Hughes short term you do it.

• Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

This is epically dumb.

Look nobody trades Hughes until you find out his ceiling. 

Let's just  trade every great young talent we have under contract in the hopes that we get better not worse.

Epically dumb strategy. 

Do you guys know how to read?

If someone offers you a clear winning return you take it all day every day and dont care about his ceiling. Same as with any other player. Hughes at 8x8 is not worth it at this point. He is simply not good at the part of his job that is so important its actually included in the name. No way he is worth #1 dman money and term at this point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

If someone offers you a clear winning return you take it all day every day and dont care about his ceiling. Same as with any other player. Hughes at 8x8 is not worth it at this point. He is simply not good at the part of his job that is so important its actually included in the name. No way he is worth #1 dman money and term at this point.

Problem is nobody is gonna give you a winning return.  I think that QH is going to be a better player than Chabot.  He may not be at this point defensively, but he's way better offensively.

13 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

The whole point of the discussion was that you don’t give Quinn 8x8 as he’s not THE best dman in the league.  It’s not about actually making a trade.  

BTW if these playoffs showed anything, it’s that you need big dmen that can withstand the war of attrition that goes on in the playoffs.  

I think that Quinn and Elias will be great at getting us into the playoffs but I just don’t know if they can withstand the grind to take us all the way. 

Petey has shown to be a gamer though in the bubble playoffs. He was one of the few players to show up to the Vegas series and was making highlight-reel plays that series. I wouldn't be worried about Petey, he just needs weight.

Hughes' weaknesses showed during that Vegas series. He can't handle size+speed well yet. The Vegas forwards, especially Tuch, were having their way with him. There's room to grow on that front and with Shaw as a coach I expect him to help Quinn out in that regard.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I can never figure out what JB is doing with his time. He “ran out of time” with TT and seems have made no progress in getting these two signed. The Canucks haven’t played a game since May 19th!

But hey, JB has all the time to extend the more important Tanner freaking Pearson :picard:

• Vintage 1

If I am Hughes I go for 8 X 8. His agent will be thinking that because of his build we could be looking at potential durability issues. Get the money up front.

If I am the Canucks I might be looking at bridge deals for both.

However,  if Quin stays healthy he is more then worth 8 X 8.  I think he will stay healthy and may become one of the teams best conditioned athletes.  His family knows what it takes to be a successful athlete. 

11 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Not when he starts getting 80 points a year and the canucks start winning.

If those 80 points come at the expense of his defensive play, its not a win. He currently cant be trusted at all defensively. I expect Shaw will change that. But I also suspect defensive improvement may come alongside the sacrifice of some offensive production. He isnt big or strong either which gives him another disadvantage on the defensive side. He has a lot of work to do defensively.

Unless he significantly improves his shot, it will be pretty tough for him to become a ppg player imo. He will pile up assists but without double digit goals that will be tough.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Agree - Quinn needs to learn "How to become a NHL defenceman" first and reduce his stratospheric Minus -24 +/- point average which I believe is the 3rd worst out of over 300 NHL defensemen before we pay him more than "Hedman" makes.  8 x $8M is ridiculous and the dumbest suggestion I've heard all year on this forum.  If JB even gets near that type of offer to Quinn he must immediately be put on a barge and pushed out to sea (with green - of course) !  Even medling Aqua-Lini wouldn't put up with that.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 2