The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I can never figure out what JB is doing with his time. He “ran out of time” with TT and seems have made no progress in getting these two signed. The Canucks haven’t played a game since May 19th!

But hey, JB has all the time to extend the more important Tanner freaking Pearson :picard:

................and just watch him try to resign the old timers, Sutter and Edler again to long term contracts like he did with those other 5th line players Eriksson, Roussel, Mutte and of course Pearson.    He loves overpayed old "dead-wood" players for some reason.  Could never figure out why and why so many think he's the second coming of Christ.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 3

6 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

................and just watch him try to resign the old timers, Sutter and Edler again to long term contracts like he did with those other 5th line players Eriksson, Roussel, Mutte and of course Pearson.    He loves overpayed old "dead-wood" players for some reason.  Could never figure out why and why so many think he's the second coming of Christ.

Since we have established the new "core" players, who has JB signed that he has overpaid for old timers?  Most of these guys were signed before Petey or Hughes were on the team.  I wouldn't mind re-signing Sutter and Edler (reduced role) as long as they're for a lot less than they were paid. 

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Since we have established the new "core" players, who has JB signed that he has overpaid for old timers?  Most of these guys were signed before Petey or Hughes were on the team.  I wouldn't mind re-signing Sutter and Edler (reduced role) as long as they're for a lot less than they were paid. 

When you say a lot less, only if it’s the league min 1M like other veterans do on other teams. 

• Cheers 1

48 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

He's just trolling and wrecking the website like usual. You're exactly right. Demko appears to be one heck of a good deal, not too long either. Pearson has a cheap 3 year deal. Benn is gone now, Hamonic is a UFA. Hawryluk is UFA. Michaelis is UFA.

I agree Sutter could be had for a good contract but there are so many others out there I'd like to target first to inject some fire into this team. even when Sutter plays well it's coming off injury. Hard for the rest of the team to get in sinc.

17 hours ago, Viper007 said:

Both those players routinely get skated circles around and are well past their "Best Before" dates.   It's time to move on from both and save almost $11,000,000.00 even though many have sentimental attachment to them and hate change because "it's scary".  If their departure is too heartbreaking for you, I'd suggest you buy a poster of each and set up a shrine to each (with some flowers) in your closet and in no time at all, you'll forget they ever played on our team.  Don't worry - change is good and in our case required.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

On 6/29/2021 at 9:36 AM, Viper007 said:

You're living in a dream world I see, Colorado will never do that.

As for the 5 people @VancouverHabitantsuggested, only 3 of those players I would trade QH for.  Makar, Fox, or Heiskeinan and none of those teams are trading them anytime soon.  As for the other 2 players, you don't do the trade because the best player is QH and you will not get enough in a package.  The best player in the deal usually wins the trade for that team.  But in reality, you're never going to get a return that is worthy of QH, so it's a moot point. 

The Canucks window for contending will be in a couple of years when QH will be entering his prime.  No team is gonna trade #1 D-men entering their prime who are on team controlled contracts (unless that specific players asks for a trade).

You wouldn’t trade QH for Chychrun, straight up?

Chychrun just put up a Norris caliber season (10th in voting), potted 18 goals, while playing heavy minutes for the Coyotes. He also just signed a team friendly contract for 4 more years at 4.6M per. I think a lot of people underestimate how good Chychrun was this season, because no one pays attention to the Coyotes.

IMO, he should have gotten way more Norris votes. 

Edited by shiznak

8 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Chychrun just put up a Norris caliber season (10th in voting), potted 18 goals, while playing heavy minutes for the Coyotes. He also just signed a team friendly contract for 4 more years at 4.6M per. I think a lot of people underestimate how good Chychrun was this season, because no one pays attention to the Coyotes.

not sure what the advantage would be, or why either team would do it. They are both big point producers, but JC scores a lot more goals. Quinn is a phenomenal skater that as Benning has said is a 1 man breakout. 

So they aren't really comparable stylistically but both do very good things. JC also has a few years on Quinn, it'll be interesting to see where Hughes is at in 3 more years of development. 

Chychurun is full value tho, maybe even a bargain at that cap. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not sure what the advantage would be, or why either team would do it. They are both big point producers, but JC scores a lot more goals. Quinn is a phenomenal skater that as Benning has said is a 1 man breakout. 

So they aren't really comparable stylistically but both do very good things. JC also has a few years on Quinn, it'll be interesting to see where Hughes is at in 3 more years of development. 

Chychurun is full value tho, maybe even a bargain at that cap. 

I would say Chychrun is a better skater than Hughes is, even with his surgically repaired knee.

This was his scouting report from his draft year.

An unyielding two-way defenceman, Jakob Chychrun is a rising star with a toolbox bursting at the seams. Consistently displays elite four-way skating ability and is not afraid to throw his weight around physically. Plays with poise and composure through high pressure situations and, with the puck on his stick, can direct the play up-ice. Exhibits a particularly potent shot that works its magic on the power play and on the forecheck. Excellent first pass and uses his vision and awareness to keep the puck moving in the direction of the opposition’s tail or to a teammate with more time and space. 

4 minutes ago, shiznak said:

I would say Chychrun is a better skater than Hughes is, even with his surgically repaired knee.

This was his scouting report from his draft year.

wow. Well then there's no way AZ does that deal. Its too bad he ended up in AZ, sucks when talent like that is wasted on bad teams. 

I'm happy to have Hughes regardless, he's going to be a regular 60 point d man. Now if we can just get him a younger partner. 

50 minutes ago, J-Dizzle said:

The trashing of Quinn on this thread is ridiculous. He’s nowhere near the defensive liability some posters are trying to make him out to be. 

That's because he had an absolutely tragic year defensively last year. It doesn't get much worse really. I think a lot of that can be attributed to the sophomore jinx though in addition to the screwed up season. It's not surprising to see a young d struggle in year two before putting it all together. I really hope we see a guy like Larsson, or similar added as his partner. I expect to see him look like a different player next year on the defensive side of things although his offence could suffer.

29 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

That's because he had an absolutely tragic year defensively last year. It doesn't get much worse really. I think a lot of that can be attributed to the sophomore jinx though in addition to the screwed up season. It's not surprising to see a young d struggle in year two before putting it all together. I really hope we see a guy like Larsson, or similar added as his partner. I expect to see him look like a different player next year on the defensive side of things although his offence could suffer.

More to it then just the sophomore jinx.  No training camp, new d partner, lose that d partner for awhile, playing against 3/5 top 5 scorers in the league for 2/5 of the season.  COVID-19.  Lots of reasons for a down year.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, J-Dizzle said:

The trashing of Quinn on this thread is ridiculous. He’s nowhere near the defensive liability some posters are trying to make him out to be. 

That’s because those fans are friggin’ morons!  :frantic:

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

Nope I wouldn't.  I believe that Hughes will be a much better player than Chychrun.

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Nope I wouldn't.  I believe that Hughes will be a much better player than Chychrun.

I know Hughes is a much better player than Chychrun.  Fortunately Benning knows this too.  

59 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think you’re right we’ll see a better version of Hughes next season. 

I would also suggest there wasn’t a player on this team that didn’t have a bad season (okay maybe Boeser, Pig, and Meyers). The whole team was disjointed and it showed…

If people are going to judge Hughes as a defensive liability based off of this past season then they should also want J.T Miller shipped out of town because all he did all year was cough picks up the middle of the defensive zone. While they’re at it maybe we should move on from Petterson because he can’t hit the net. 

25 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

More to it then just the sophomore jinx.  No training camp, new d partner, lose that d partner for awhile, playing against 3/5 top 5 scorers in the league for 2/5 of the season.  COVID-19.  Lots of reasons for a down year.

I think a lot of fans forget how many minutes he was eating at the end of his freshman year. He was unreal. This past year was an anomaly. 

Edited by J-Dizzle
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Yup, agreed this stuff made it even more compounded. I'm pretty used to seeing elite rookies have a down year after a Calder campaign. It's almost like they realize how hard it is. With a full off season I'm sure Quinn will be all over this part of his game. He's got tremendous pride, work ethic, and desire. I ain't worried at all.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 5/20/2021 at 5:47 PM, tas said:

what's it like being you? I can only imagine terrible. 

On 5/20/2021 at 5:36 PM, combover said:

Right after jim takes care of the important ones

like vessey sutter edler hamonic unless a new shinny toy like OEL catches his eye then they’ll have to wait and be patient.

Atleast he  can’t  run out of time... can he? 

history repeats it self. 

I am not sure if he is just sarcastic and playing everybody or if serious. I mean you @combover

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yup, agreed this stuff made it even more compounded. I'm pretty used to seeing elite rookies have a down year after a Calder campaign. It's almost like they realize how hard it is. With a full off season I'm sure Quinn will be all over this part of his game. He's got tremendous pride, work ethic, and desire. I ain't worried at all.

I agree. I don't think it's unfair to point out that QH had a very bad year defensively, but there's also no reason not to expect him to improve.

And since this is a thread about the new contracts for QH/EP, maybe we should remind ourselves that both having troubled season could be a blessing in disguise as their contracts with more linear progress and without the flat cap would have been a lot richer.

• Cheers 1

I like Chychurn but I wouldn't trade Quinn for him. When Hughes is on his game he creates offense from the backend like no one else in the league.

The Canucks should be in a good negotiating position with Hughes, given his 10.2c status leaving him ineligibile for an offer sheet or arbitration. 

On a bridge I'm looking at Zach Werenski as a comparable, 3 years 5M per. If we do bridge him its gotta be at a number beginning with 5.