The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | Quinn Hughes - Contract Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

Bertuzzipunch

10 minutes ago, bree2 said:

i think Benning would sign today but JP Barry is holding it up hoping for an offer sheet for Pettersson, but yet he says Canucks have cap issues but Petey and Hughes both want to stay. i say get it done already, this is not good for the players or the team to let it keep on like this.

JP Barry is a snake and will say whatever he thinks will be to his advantage. He is licking his chops at the offer sheet rumours. JP would like nothing more than to handcuff his clients team with huge contracts, knowing that the kids he's convincing to hold out a bit longer will be miserable playing on non contending teams and ending their contracts being over paid and hated by their fanbase. Whatever it takes to get that extra wing built onto his house I guess.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Deets said:

JP Barry is a snake and will say whatever he thinks will be to his advantage. He is licking his chops at the offer sheet rumours. JP would like nothing more than to handcuff his clients team with huge contracts, knowing that the kids he's convincing to hold out a bit longer will be miserable playing on non contending teams and ending their contracts being over paid and hated by their fanbase. Whatever it takes to get that extra wing built onto his house I guess.

Really does seem like hes a snake thats taken advantage of benning for a long time 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, smokes said:

Benning does this to troll Canucks fans. He always takes his sweet time with his stars. I remember Horvat and Boeser were also signed late in the off season.

You really think that Benning would risk issues within the team to troll fans? That seems completely unnecessary and pointless.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

The Canucks should let J.P. know that if an offer sheet is signed, the Canucks would match and then trade the player to Buffalo or Columbus. 

I would start by trading Hughes to Buffalo for Dahlin. 

He's the one that first hired Barry and then introduced Petey to him. 

That might help Petey to sign with us sooner. 

Also never hurts to add another Swede to this team. 

32 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

The Canucks should let J.P. know that if an offer sheet is signed, the Canucks would match and then trade the player to Buffalo or Columbus. 

I forgot to mention that Arizona is also a great spot to send our former beloved franchise players to suffer. A Hughes trade for Chychrun plus picks is not a bad plan B. 

Edited by Maddogy
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I would start by trading Hughes to Buffalo for Dahlin. 

He's the one that first hired Barry and then introduced Petey to him. 

That might help Petey to sign with us sooner. 

Also never hurts to add another Swede to this team. 

Trade Hughes for a guy to play on our bottom pair?  

• Wat 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We will keep Petey.  

No. Barry was all but begging for an offer sheet today, mentioning August as the time he expects one.  I'm shocked, but, reading the tea leaves from Barry this morning, it's pretty clear that Petterson and Hughes have both played their last games in Vancouver.  We simply can't afford to pay them due to the cap hit they want.  Remember also, that EP40 has deleted all references to the Canucks from all social media taglines.  A clear message if there ever was one.  I like the idea of trading for Eichel.  Not sure exactly how that would work but it's clear we need plan B.  Also, remember the heartbreak from Hughes on draft night, it's clear he wants to be in NJ with his brothers.

Pettersona and the 3 Hughes brothers would instantly make the Devils Stanley Cup favourites.  I suspect that is what Barry is angling for.  Getting Quinn and Elias both an offer sheet from NJD.

Edited by Sean83
Additional thoughts.
  • Haha 2
  • Wat 1
  • RoughGame 2

Barzal is the comparable for a 3 year.

Aho is the comparable for a 5 year.

It shouldn’t take too long to bang out a number. I would say 7.5x3 or 8x4 or 8.5x5.

Get it done Jimbo!

Edited by DeNiro
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sean83 said:

No. Barry was all but begging for an offer sheet today, mentioning August as the time he expects one.

He is a slimy SOB, that's for sure. 

I'm shocked, but, reading the tea leaves from Barry this morning, it's pretty clear that Petterson and Hughes have both played their last games in Vancouver.  We simply can't afford to pay them due to the cap hit they want.

Are you sure that you didn't smoke the tea leaves instead? What makes you think that they're done here? What do you think the cap hits are going to be? 

I like the idea of trading for Eichel.  Not sure exactly how that would work but it's clear we need plan B.  Also, remember the heartbreak from Hughes on draft night, it's clear he wants to be in NJ with his brothers.

Eichel? A player (who is a top tier center, none the less) who is potentially having very serious surgery to his neck? 

What happened on draft night? 

• Cheers 2

It’s going to go right down to the wire, I’m sure.  Regarding resigning RFAs Benning hasn’t been one to flinch in the past so I’m not super worried.  

Barry is a complete slime with his “cap issue” nonsense.  That line may have gotten some traction when we had all the bad contracts on the books but Petey and Hughes have to realize they’re coming back to an improved team here.

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He is a slimy SOB, that's for sure. 

Are you sure that you didn't smoke the tea leaves instead? What makes you think that they're done here? What do you think the cap hits are going to be? 

Eichel? A player (who is a top tier center, none the less) who is potentially having very serious surgery to his neck? 

What happened on draft night? 

I haven't seen the video but I read online from one of you guys either on here or HF that Hughes looked crestfallen to not be with his brothers.

I so wish this wasn't the case.  It's frustrating loving a team this much and it constantly getting screwed over by refs (Boston 2011) or snakes in other forms, like Barry.

OTOH, NJD will find it tough to sign though given they have such limited cap space.  Canadiens also have zero cap space.

Edited by Sean83
  • Wat 2

6 minutes ago, Sean83 said:

I haven't seen the video but I read online from one of you guys either on here or HF that Hughes looked crestfallen to not be with his brothers.

People might be reading into it a little. That being said, it probably would be hard to see two of them developing together. 

I so wish this wasn't the case.  It's frustrating loving a team this much and it constantly getting screwed over by refs (Boston 2011) or snakes in other forms, like Barry.

Don’t sweat it too much yet. The contracts could be finalized soon and then all is good. 

OTOH, NJD will find it tough to sign though given they have such limited cap space.  Canadiens also have zero cap space.

With Hamilton’s deal, it’d be hard to squeak Quinn under that cap. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

Did you guys forget when RFAs of this caliber are typically signed?

Right around the start of camp. Happend with bo. Happened with boeser. Itll happen with these 2.

Neither of those guys could be offer sheeted though could they?

Im thinking they get Pettersson done sooner rather than later.

Hughes they can take all summer. No need to rush there, especially if his agent is throwing out 8 million plus as a starting point l.

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Neither of those guys could be offer sheeted though could they?

Im thinking they get Pettersson done sooner rather than later.

Hughes they can take all summer. No need to rush there, especially if his agent is throwing out 8 million plus as a starting point l.

That I dont know. But honestly I feel to get the best deal in a negotiation you wait till the last minute.  Or later.

Not sure what they're waiting for now, the UFA dust has settled and JB has around 20M to sign 4 guys.

Lock up Pettersson long-term with the money, 7.5-8M x 8 years?

Lock up Hughes relatively short-contract, he needs to prove where he's at, if he'll be elite or just a Tyson Barrie. 5M x 2 years (3 seems too long, he could really break-out by then).
Dickinson with a similar 2M x 2-3 year deal

Juolevi again could end up in our top-4 in 2-3 years so 1M x 1-2 years seems fair.

Leaves us with enough cash (2-4M) for a pretty decent player...