The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Preseason] Vancouver @ Calgary Friday, Oct. 1/21 6:00 PM PST

Rate this topic

-AJ-

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Hate to say it, but I agree with you.  

Let him simmer in Abby for a while and make him the first call up.  Better then being the 13th forward. 

I don’t agree.  With a full lineup he will be on the 3rd line with Dickinson.  He has a good 200’ game unlike Virtanen so he can learn the NHL game on the offensive side while he’s playing in the NHL.  I don’t see any advantage to sending him down to Abby.  Klimovich is 18 years old.  He needs a good year playing with men unlike Podkolzin.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yeah with Hughes back in the lineup I don’t think there is a spot for Rathbone.  He needs a full year in the AHL to refine his defensive game.  Meanwhile Juolevi isn’t flashy but he’s a steady defensive presence with a good outlet pass and he can kill penalties.  That’s all you need for a 3rd pairing guy.  It’s a no brainer at this point that Juolevi will start on the 3rd pairing and Rathbone will get sent down to Abby.

Well put and concisely written. OJ requires waivers, too, which does factor into the situation. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Hate to say it, because I like Rathbone better as a player and feel he has a higher ceiling, but I think Juolevi may have overtaken him. I don't think he'll ever be more than a decent bottom pairing defenseman, but it looks like he can be trusted a bit more than Rathbone at this point.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mathew Barzal said:

Based on the couple of pre-season games so far, Pokdkolzin should definitely be playing in the AHL this season with Klimovich. He's raw, and the last thing we should do is Virtanen him. 

Virtanen just wasn't coachable like Podkolzin is. (Not even close)

Podkolzin has structure things to learn but has strength, talent & drive to play at this level. KHL isn't as structured as the NHL.

I think he should stay in the NHL and the coaches can work with him.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Hopefully with EP and QH signed, we see Green start using the rest of the preseason mostly to get the top 9 and D some chemistry.

The 4th line and depth D battles should pretty much be decided already. Without Hamonic, go with 8 D. Keep Juolevi, Rathbone, and Hunt. Start Schenn with Hughes a few times to see if he can play there.

4th line I think there are a few guys who have shown they deserve a shot there. 

The lines Green is using in the top 9 aren’t looking promising.

Next game:

Miller-EP-Boeser

Garland-Horvat-Podkolzin

Pearson-Dickinson-Hoglander

4th Line - Who Cares

OEL-Poolman

Hughes-Schenn

Rathbone/Juolevi-Myers

Hunt

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I know it’s preseason and the Canucks iced an AHL lineup, but the Miller, Garland and Podkozin line was awful.  They couldn’t complete a pass or create any offensive.  Travis split them up half way through the game.  That was the biggest disappointment for me tonight.

Aren't Garland and Podkolzin both natural right wingers?

Just now, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

I know it’s preseason and the Canucks iced an AHL lineup, but the Miller, Garland and Podkozin line was awful.  They couldn’t complete a pass or create any offensive.  Travis split them up half way through the game.  That was the biggest disappointment for me tonight.

That’s not a good line combination.  I’d play Garland with BO and Miller on left wing with Petey and Brock.  Podkolzin should be playing on the 3rd line with Dickinson.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Mustard Tiger said:

See tim peels recent interview. Admits hes sorry he got caught, and calls sutherland one of the best. Corruption at its finest 

Indeed.  Bottom line is I am always tempted to bet on the other team when Sutherland's assigned to one of our games.  That's a really bad look for a league that had to fire Peel and had the Lee fiasco with Montreal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

Better screw up now than in Reg season. 

3 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I don’t agree.  With a full lineup he will be on the 3rd line with Dickinson.  He has a good 200’ game unlike Virtanen so he can learn the NHL game on the offensive side while he’s playing in the NHL.  I don’t see any advantage to sending him down to Abby.  Klimovich is 18 years old.  He needs a good year playing with men unlike Podkolzin.

Feeding him offensive minutes, with a couple of Russian speakers on the team isn't a bad thing for him.

Not upset at all. CGY iced a lot more of their starters than VAN did. It's a preseason game and more than half of the Canucks roster tonight won't even be on the team. The real Canucks will be ready when the regular season gets going.  

• Cheers 2