The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Preseason] Vancouver @ Calgary Friday, Oct. 1/21 6:00 PM PST

Rate this topic

-AJ-

15 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It’s not just based on one game though. The team is playing the same style of play offensively and defensively that they did last year. Makes zero difference who has been in or out of the lineup really.

That was a huge factor in last years horrid season and is 100% a coaching issue.

Just chill until we actually have our team playing 

Mac was not impressive tonight even though he is probably on the bubble. He needs to be Tom Wilson or Ryan Reaves if he wants to stick in the NHL. It didn’t help that he got whupped by Gudbranson and looked submissive down on the ice. Not a good look for a tough-guy. He needed to fake a roid  rage and appear aggressive but he was meek. I think being mean is not in his nature. Imagine what Gino would do after getting mugged and sucker-punched like that. Gudbranson is a cheap shot artist.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

The preseason exists for pretty much the sole purpose of making credible judgments of how players play individually and collectively within the system though. Wins and losses are irrelevant. 

And you find you can make a credible opinion/judgements of the systems we play based off AHL-type lineup facing and NHL-type lineup rather than an NHL-lineup facing another NHL-lineup?

I just don't see the rational in that personally. You're completely disregarding the aspect of talent in the NHL and the difference it makes.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

And you find you can make a credible opinion/judgements of the systems we play based off AHL-type lineup facing and NHL-type lineup rather than an NHL-lineup facing another NHL-lineup?

I just don't see the rational in that personally. You're completely disregarding the aspect of talent in the NHL and the difference it makes.

What do you think the coaches are doing? Who is in the lineup in the preseason doesn’t (or at least shouldn’t) change the style, systems, or strategy to that extent. If Green has to do that, then just cut the players already who can’t play the system.

7 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Was at the game tonight. 

Couldn't really pay attention to the action because of the kids. 

Couple of notes. 

Petan was meh. I don't think he should have been out on the 5 on 3.

Rathbone is a pretty special talent. Some of the moves made with the puck at the blue line takes a lot of skill. I know he was on for a few goals against tonight but I couldn't really see the action on the other side of the ice. Keep in mind he's still pretty young. I have no doubt he'll be a solid top 4 D man with some experience and strength. 

Podz reminds me of Horvat in his rookie year. Nothing flashy, just a steady game that kind of goes unnoticed. He'd be a safe player on 3rd line so I don't see the need to put him in the AHL. 

Didn't really like McEwan's game. Tried to spark the team but had to cover the kids eyes during his fight with Gudbranson lol. 

Highmore not that great either. 

Liked Di Giuseppe and Hunt. 

From the Flames side, I liked Zadorov. The guy is huge. Not like Gudbranson huge but still huge. Too bad Canucks couldn't get him. 

Here's the crazy story of the night. Matthew Tkachuk converted me. I know it's blasphemy here but I am an unfortunate diehard  Canucks fan who unfortunately have kids that love the Flames. Son was wearing a Gaudreau jersey and daughter was wearing Tkachuk. During one of the whistles, he calls my daughter over and throws the puck to her over the glass. My daughter was so excited as it was her first hockey game. Pretty cool experience for the kids

20211001_211442.jpg

20211001_210110.jpg

20211001_201440.jpg

That’s pretty cool

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

15 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

What do you think the coaches are doing? Who is in the lineup in the preseason doesn’t (or at least shouldn’t) change the style, systems, or strategy to that extent. If Green has to do that, then just cut the players already who can’t play the system.

Coaches are judging what players are good enough to play moving forward. Well you're likely going to see cuts over the course of preseason.

I responded to the fact that you said that you're disappointed to see very little change in the systems we play. That doesn't make sense to me because we talent differences are making it difficult to credibly see how the systems we play have changed. So how does that work? How can you rationally make those sort of judgements?

Personally I will judge and criticize how we play based off more circumstantial evidence. It seems to me like you're putting yourself at a handicap with your judgements.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

I've never seen a hockey game (including beer league) where so many players from the same team seem absolutely confused on to where their teammates are on the ice defensively. 

There's been at least 5 instances where guys are looking around going "where the hell is our team?!". I've never seen it lol

Agreed. Reminded me of Seahawks defense last week: are we on zone or man?

2 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

He was with Garland and Miller tonight lol. 

I missed that tbh.  I missed a fair bit of the game and when I came back in the 3rd it was a bit of a gong show.  I don't like to see prospects with potential out there when they can't get out of their own end

I think we saw a D corps tonight that reflected the possibility that Hamonic wasn't going to play.  The right side was Myers, Burroughs and Schenn.  Rathbone, Juolevi and Hunt on the left.  It's better than game 1 (marginally) but the line up they faced tonight was the best yet.  

I'm sounding like a hand-wringer which I am not.  They'll get over it

It never helps a rookie to be out there when the team is struggling.  That's what I was talking about.

1 minute ago, WZRD said:

What’s everyone’s opinions on Gadjovich?

Looks like a keeper. If he goes on waivers we would probably lose him. (I wonder if GMs phone each other to check out the interest in such players before doing waivers so that if all others promise not to claim you can feel safe in doing it. Or maybe they can’t be trusted?)

17 minutes ago, Beary Sweet said:

.. seems like it was a stinker. Oh well. What's important is that we got Huggy Bear and Petey locked up while Gadjovich and OJ looked great just stat watching. Still work to be done 

I'd say plenty. We played weary, like the only thing we've practised is bag-skating.

Flames' defensive positioning was as just as impressive as their decisions when in possession.

I'd expected us to be out-muscled and out-fought but out-skated too?

That was one shamefully sluggish audition for open roster spots.

Marky only got beat by a fluke deflection and nobody offered an aging Tanev or plodding Guddy any stress. 

Not a Flames fan by any stretch, but their coaches sure laid a beating on ours tonight.

Our pp lacked ideas even on that dreadful 5-on-3, while our spinning pk got bailed out time and again by a determinedly proud Demko.

If there is a system in Green's head, he quickly needs to find a way to teach it better, because nobody understood it tonight, and that's got them on a bus to Abbotsford.

Probably will see a decent amount of cuts the next few days. Maybe one more opportunity for some guys next game.

We should be icing a more complete lineup IMO. Need to start trying different line combinations with the regulars, especially if we're gonna consider at Miller at C.

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Probably will see a decent amount of cuts the next few days. Maybe one more opportunity for some guys next game.

We should be icing a more complete lineup IMO. Need to start trying different line combinations with the regulars, especially if we're gonna consider at Miller at C.

Full line up dressed, Miller isn't at centre imo.  Miller at C is an alternate line up and it's fine to try it out. 

Petey will be out there in tomorrows practice and lacing them up for Sunday's game.  The time for experimenting is over and it's time to start preparing for opening night.

• Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I think they should give him a look with Garland and Horvat. Why Pearson has to be crazy glued to Horvat even in the preseason is beyond me. 

Podz has been with Miller and Garland. That’s a pretty good couple of players to get an extended look with. But I really don’t like Miller in the middle.

I agree!! As much as I respect Pearson, his game is more suited to 3rd line!! Podz can offer more in top 6 but he needs time!!