The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Preseason] Vancouver @ Calgary Friday, Oct. 1/21 6:00 PM PST

Rate this topic

-AJ-

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

This was a good game to see how our #6-8 defenseman will play vs NHL talent. One game but a good benchmark for these players themselves too. Now they can see the tape and see where they can improve.

Wasn't good considering they lost to an AHL team.

8 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I’ll admit it, the Rathbone Schenn combo isn’t working out.  Juolevi had himself a great game.  Kept it simple, didn’t over extend. Rathbone didn’t look great tonight. 

What do they say,? The first part of recovery is acceptance?  Lol. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Feeding him offensive minutes, with a couple of Russian speakers on the team isn't a bad thing for him.

He looks hesitant out there.  Like he doesn't want to make a mistake.  And is focusing on the defensive game more than he should.  This is probably because of Green and something he isn't used to in terms of the structure of the NHL game.  I don't see how he can get better at the NHL game in the AHL.  He has the talent and is responsible defensively.  It's too early to tell really where he is at.

I'd like to see him play in a game with a full lineup.  He was basically playing on the top line tonight so if Petey and BO are in the lineup and Miller switches to left wing them Podkolzin can play on a 3rd line with Dickinson against lesser competition.  I'd like to see that before any decisions are made in terms of sending him down to the AHL.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

It’s a bit discouraging to see very little change in either the offensive or defensive style the team is being coached to play. I thought Shaw was going to tighten things up and Newell Brown was the problem with the PP?

Most of that lineup was AHL guys/depth players/young players vs most of the Flames NHL lineup.

I wouldn't put too much flak into it until we see our NHL team play. Can't make clear cut judgements based off the evidence we have from that game.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RakuRaku said:

Any word on how serious Garland's injury is??  Hope he's ok... We can't afford to lose our secondary scoring!!  

I didn't notice #92 at all in the third... But hope he's getting more comfortable with NHL pace and physicality! 

Garland stayed in the game. So more likely a rough dinger.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He looks hesitant out there.  Like he doesn't want to make a mistake.  And is focusing on the defensive game more than he should.  This is probably because of Green and something he isn't used to in terms of the structure of the NHL game.  I don't see how he can get better at the NHL game in the AHL.  He has the talent and is responsible defensively.  It's too early to tell really where he is at.

I'd like to see him play in a game with a full lineup.  He was basically playing on the top line tonight so if Petey and BO are in the lineup and Miller switches to left wing them Podkolzin can play on a 3rd line with Dickinson against lesser competition.  I'd like to see that before any decisions are made in terms of sending him down to the AHL.

You don't think putting him in a position where he can make a few mistakes and gain some confidence wouldn't help his game?  He's also dealing with culture shock off the ice so having teammates who speak his language might help.

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Exactly what I saw of him in camp and in the scrimmages. He just is….strangely caution and tentative. His defensive mindset seems to cripple him out there.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It’s a bit discouraging to see very little change in either the offensive or defensive style the team is being coached to play. I thought Shaw was going to tighten things up and Newell Brown was the problem with the PP?

Pretty sure Shaw is shaking his head at the fire drill he saw today. He should give Baumer an earful I hope.  As for PP, I'd give King a little more time until we get Petey and Hughes back.