The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Preseason] Vancouver @ Calgary Friday, Oct. 1/21 6:00 PM PST

Rate this topic

-AJ-

3 minutes ago, 1-d said:

Pretty sure Shaw is shaking his head at the fire drill he saw today. He should give Baumer an earful I hope.  As for PP, I'd give King a little more time until we get Petey and Hughes back.

What he really should give Baumer is a one way ticket and a ride to the airport.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, HockeyHarry said:

I gotta say big Gads #42 skating looks good and thats all i gotta say.

I think he’s the bright spot of camp/preseason so far.  Definitely shining above many including a number of the regular NHLers

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

How do we know how coachable Podz is? Just because he's more obedient doesn't mean he's coachable. 

Because he's willing to learn & adapt.

Look at how he molded his game in the KHL to a 4th liner to stay on the big team (too passive). Or his willingness in coming over here.

Atleast give him a chance & see how he grows

• Cheers 3

13 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Most of that lineup was AHL guys/depth players/young players vs most of the Flames NHL lineup.

I wouldn't put too much flak into it until we see our NHL team play. Can't make clear cut judgements based off the evidence we have from that game.

It’s not just based on one game though. The team is playing the same style of play offensively and defensively that they did last year. Makes zero difference who has been in or out of the lineup really.

That was a huge factor in last years horrid season and is 100% a coaching issue.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I'd either start Pod at the bottom 6 like we did Horvat or in the AHL. He has only shown glimpses and looks like he needs some more adjusting before we see improvements.

Podz may look very much better in an NHL line up.  I would agree that he should start him in the bottom 6 but not in a shut down line.  He hasn't seen his last preseason game imo.  Green needs to see him with better players

• Upvote 1

I had a number of thoughts throughout this game:
1.  Although not flawless, OJ played a pretty solid game in both ends.

2.  Zac Mac was flying from time to time and made some good plays.  It'll be nice to see how this translates when he has a proper NHL roster on the ice with him.

3.  Podkolzin looked pretty decent. He battled hard, made some nice plays and set himself up pretty well in front of the net for a one timer - not sure if the pass was a little off or he just misfired on that.

4.  A lot of these guys made a case for the AHL tonight *cough* Highmore *cough*.  I guess everyone has a bad game though and it's much harder to have a good game when most of the guys on the ice are not NHL regulars and are probably holding the stick a bit too tight.  Even Miller and Hoglander didn't look that good tonight.

5.  Calgary played a very strong fore-checking system and maintained some good sustained pressure with it.  Coaching staff needs to have plans to deal with that.

In the end, it's just a pre-season game and most of these guys won't be with us on opening night.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Podz may look very much better in an NHL line up.  I would agree that he should start him in the bottom 6 but not in a shut down line.  He hasn't seen his last preseason game imo.  Green needs to see him with better players

Like who? Boeser and Petey? 

3 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

Like who? Boeser and Petey? 

I think they should give him a look with Garland and Horvat. Why Pearson has to be crazy glued to Horvat even in the preseason is beyond me. 

Podz has been with Miller and Garland. That’s a pretty good couple of players to get an extended look with. But I really don’t like Miller in the middle.

Edited by wallstreetamigo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It’s not just based on one game though. The team is playing the same style of play offensively and defensively that they did last year. Makes zero difference who has been in or out of the lineup really.

That was a huge factor in last years horrid season and is 100% a coaching issue.

It makes a huge difference who's in and out of the lineup. If you play a mostly NHL team vs a mostly AHL it won't matter what systems you play, talent will trump that every day.

How are you gonna manage to make any sort of credible judgment based off a lack of substantial evidence?

I 'd rather till I see how we play with an NHL lineup vs another NHL lineup and then judge the team because the last 2 of 3 preseason games we put our AHL/depth guys out vs fuller lineups vs Seattle and the Flames and the other game vs Flames we had a the more fuller lineup.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

You don't think putting him in a position where he can make a few mistakes and gain some confidence wouldn't help his game?  He's also dealing with culture shock off the ice so having teammates who speak his language might help.

Well he was basically playing on the top line tonight and he still wasn’t pushing the needle offensively so I don’t see how he would do that moreso in the AHL. 

I’d like to see him in a lesser role with a full lineup and see what happens. He understands English quite well. He obviously still needs to learn to speak it which he is doing with his wife as they have a full time tutor. I don’t see how he is going to learn English better playing in Abby. Sure he can hang out with Klimovich but I’m not sure that is going to help with his game. 

Are there any Russian players available that play right D?  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

It makes a huge difference who's in and out of the lineup. If you play a mostly NHL team vs a mostly AHL it won't matter what systems you play, talent will trump that every day.

How are you gonna manage to make any sort of credible judgment based off a lack of substantial evidence?

I 'd rather till I see how we play with an NHL lineup vs another NHL lineup and then judge the team because the last 2 of 3 preseason games we put our AHL/depth guys out vs fuller lineups vs Seattle and the Flames and the other game vs Flames we had a the more fuller lineup.

Only then can we truly judge the team and how it plays.

The preseason exists for pretty much the sole purpose of making credible judgments of how players play individually and collectively within the system though. Wins and losses are irrelevant. 

• Upvote 1