The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Preseason] Vancouver @ Calgary Friday, Oct. 1/21 6:00 PM PST

Rate this topic

-AJ-

1 hour ago, RogersTowell said:

I had a number of thoughts throughout this game:
1.  Although not flawless, OJ played a pretty solid game in both ends.

2.  Zac Mac was flying from time to time and made some good plays.  It'll be nice to see how this translates when he has a proper NHL roster on the ice with him.

3.  Podkolzin looked pretty decent. He battled hard, made some nice plays and set himself up pretty well in front of the net for a one timer - not sure if the pass was a little off or he just misfired on that.

4.  A lot of these guys made a case for the AHL tonight *cough* Highmore *cough*.  I guess everyone has a bad game though and it's much harder to have a good game when most of the guys on the ice are not NHL regulars and are probably holding the stick a bit too tight.  Even Miller and Hoglander didn't look that good tonight.

5.  Calgary played a very strong fore-checking system and maintained some good sustained pressure with it.  Coaching staff needs to have plans to deal with that.

In the end, it's just a pre-season game and most of these guys won't be with us on opening night.

Podkolzin looked a bit slow. anybody else catch that?

12 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Full line up dressed, Miller isn't at centre imo.  Miller at C is an alternate line up and it's fine to try it out. 

Petey will be out there in tomorrows practice and lacing them up for Sunday's game.  The time for experimenting is over and it's time to start preparing for opening night.

We haven't really experimented in the way I meant though, with a full lineup.

With our top 3 down the middle being Petey/Horvat/Miller. With Boeser/Petey and Pearson/Horvat as mainstays with wingers like Hog/Garland left over it could be tried.

If we gave Miller Hoglander, who he had chemistry with last year, for example how would teams matchup against our lines 5v5? Would they have to play one of their bottom 6 vs Miller's line? Would that benefit the team in hole? We'd have Garland leftover who could play with anybody.

• Like 1

we need to start getting the main line up together so they can gel 

can keep trialing the Podz, Lockwood, gadjo upfront and hunt/OJ/rathbone/schenn in a combination of the next few games

I would play guys like podz, gadjo and chaisson up and down the line up a lot in the last few games, chaisson might be a good pick up if podz does not blow our socks off and if sutts, matter and bess gonna be out for a bit

• Like 1

I think people have to understand, there are only a couple real fights on this team

#1. Rathbone vs Juolevi for the 3rd pairing LHD

and 

#2. Gadjovich, vs Highmore, vs McEwen vs Chiasson

IMO, all other decisions have been made. I think when we have a full lineup, you will see all these guys and Pods, look alot better with all of them playing in their proper line up spot. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

I think people have to understand, there are only a couple real fights on this team

#1. Rathbone vs Juolevi for the 3rd pairing LHD

and 

#2. Gadjovich, vs Highmore, vs McEwen vs Chiasson

IMO, all other decisions have been made. I think when we have a full lineup, you will see all these guys and Pods, look alot better with all of them playing in their proper line up spot. 

Lockwood's outplayed all of them imo. Gadjovich has showed well however.

For both situations, I believe the PK will play a major factor.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Totally agree with you, and the players named, have 2 weeks to fight it out

It may also have something to do with who can be sent down.......aka Rathbone and Lockwood

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Coaches are judging what players are good enough to play moving forward. Well you're likely going to see cuts over the course of preseason.

I responded to the fact that you said that you're disappointed to see very little change in the systems we play. That doesn't make sense to me because we talent differences are making it difficult to credibly see how the systems we play have changed. So how does that work? How can you rationally make those sort of judgements?

Personally I will judge and criticize how we play based off more circumstantial evidence. It seems to me like you're putting yourself at a handicap with your judgements.

The style and systems the team plays are pretty easily identifiable as similar to last year. Which players are playing it is pretty much irrelevant in the preseason.

NHL coaches don’t change the fundamentals of how they want the team to play based on their preseason lineup. The preseason is where they see who best fits and can handle that style of play that they want.

Its pretty common sense actually. Coaches build the overall framework of how they want the team to play. The players execute on that framework. Preseason just means more players get a chance to find a role in it that they fit.

Unless Green is using the preseason to decide how he wants the team to actually play, there is no part of what I said that is not true.

8 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

A thing that Lockwood has working in his favour (or not, depending on how you look at it), is if it is too close to call about keeping him or sending to Abbottsford, he is waivers exempt (as noted by @J.I.A.H.N).. Would it be a bummer for him if he thought that he did make the club? Sure, but he is still with the Canucks and they are still interested in keeping him... just like they would (supposedly) still be interested in keeping Gadjovich. It would be his choice to sulk (and possibly regress), or take his feelings on opposing teams.

regards,  G.

• Cheers 1

I was watching the LHD competition, and OJ was head and shoulders better than Rathbone and better than Hunt. Rathbone looked like he needs a year in Abby, he was AWFUL!  He was on the ice for three of Calgary's four goals and in the box for #4 because he's afraid to get hit. Rathbone looked lost on the first and third goals, Gudreau was his man on #1 and he was checking nobody in #3 when Tkachuk was his man. QH is already a tire fire in the defensive zone, we can't afford Rathbone too. Once again, OJ played a simple game, was positionally sound, got into passing lanes, played great on the PK and was responsible for the Canucks loan goal. Hunt was OK, but nothing special.

• Cheers 1

Best part of the game was Gudbranson jumping MacEwen for no reason.

Sutter is going to be absolutely floored by Gudbranson's unncessary grit that he will make Guddy a mainstay on that blueline for just the sheer truculence, but in reality, this team will capitalize and skate circles around him.

Very big win for us...:bigblush:

2 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

I agree!! As much as I respect Pearson, his game is more suited to 3rd line!! Podz can offer more in top 6 but he needs time!! 

Podkolzin needs to be on 3rd line, he isnt ready for a top 6 spot. I see lots of pucks being fanned or missed passes. He needs time to adjust on 3rd line before moving up. Pearson can play on top 6 so he will be relied upon if there is injuries to the top 6

12 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

I was watching the LHD competition, and OJ was head and shoulders better than Rathbone and better than Hunt. Rathbone looked like he needs a year in Abby, he was AWFUL!  He was on the ice for three of Calgary's four goals and in the box for #4 because he's afraid to get hit. Rathbone looked lost on the first and third goals, Gudreau was his man on #1 and he was checking nobody in #3 when Tkachuk was his man. QH is already a tire fire in the defensive zone, we can't afford Rathbone too. Once again, OJ played a simple game, was positionally sound, got into passing lanes, played great on the PK and was responsible for the Canucks loan goal. Hunt was OK, but nothing special.

worst player on ice by far was Nic Petan. Looked like a chicken with his head cutoff and pissed away that 2 man advantage. The 2nd worst was Hunt. Just terrible defenseman. We did deserve to lose this game since most of the roster tonight was AHL players or fringe NHL types. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Podkolzin needs to be on 3rd line, he isnt ready for a top 6 spot. I see lots of pucks being fanned or missed passes. He needs time to adjust on 3rd line before moving up. Pearson can play on top 6 so he will be relied upon if there is injuries to the top 6

pod is not ready for the NHL, he looked so lost out there, and on every shift , he was horrible, if he is lost in his next game, he will be AHL bound

• Wat 1

46 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

A thing that Lockwood has working in his favour (or not, depending on how you look at it), is if it is too close to call about keeping him or sending to Abbottsford, he is waivers exempt (as noted by @J.I.A.H.N).. Would it be a bummer for him if he thought that he did make the club? Sure, but he is still with the Canucks and they are still interested in keeping him... just like they would (supposedly) still be interested in keeping Gadjovich. It would be his choice to sulk (and possibly regress), or take his feelings on opposing teams.

regards,  G.

At this point I rather have Lockwood vs. Highmore. Also I like to have Chiasson too. A 4th line of Lockwood-Sutter-Motte would look good and have Chiasson as extra.

My opening lineup prediction:

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

Pearson-Dickenson-Podkolzin

Motte-Sutter-Lockwood

Chiasson

Hughes-Myers

OEL-Poolman

Juolevi-Rathbone

Schenn

Hamonic (absent)

Demko