The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT - Preseason] Vancouver @ Calgary Friday, Oct. 1/21 6:00 PM PST

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Just now, DefCon1 said:

At this point I rather have Lockwood vs. Highmore. Also I like to have Chiasson too. A 4th line of Lockwood-Sutter-Motte would look good and have Chiasson as extra.

My opening lineup prediction:

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

Pearson-Dickenson-Podkolzin

Motte-Sutter-Lockwood

Chiasson

Hughes-Myers

OEL-Poolman

Juolevi-Rathbone

Schenn

Hamonic (absent)

Demko

Halak

For the 23 man roster

100 bucks says pod starts season in AHL

Just now, x00x said:

pod is not ready for the NHL, he looked so lost out there, and on every shift , he was horrible, if he is lost in his next game, he will be AHL bound

Yeah, he was not good at all in this game. Should give him more chances to see how his game really looks like. I have seen only 2 games with him playing. 

2 minutes ago, x00x said:

100 bucks says pod starts season in AHL

Just like how Juolevi was going to be waived?

People need to stop making judgements based on a couple preseason games. If he looks bad next game with a full roster then maybe. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Just like how Juolevi was going to be waived?

People need to stop making judgements based on a couple preseason games. If he looks bad next game with a full roster then maybe. 

hence in my other reply in this thread said, if his next game, and hes still lost, like he was in this game, he will be AHL bound

5 minutes ago, x00x said:

petan scored on his own goal, but really hes not a bad player and has had  a good preseason , hope he doesnt get cut, think he be a good reserve player

This game he played like an ECHL player. Terrible on 5-3, terrible in defensive zone and bad passes all night with giveaways. He charged during a 5 on 3 like a powerforward with a puck which ended up in our zone because he didnt like to pass to the 2 extra players we had on the ice. That play kind of pissed me off since 5 on 3 is not that hard to setup in the offensive zone.

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

This game he played like an ECHL player. Terrible on 5-3, terrible in defensive zone and bad passes all night with giveaways. He charged during a 5 on 3 like a powerforward with a puck which ended up in our zone because he didnt like to pass to the 2 extra players we had on the ice. That play kind of pissed me off since 5 on 3 is not that hard to setup in the offensive zone.

was coaches fault not his, in other preseason games he played well

Three players that I was interested in were Podkolzin, Juolevi, and Rathbone.

I think Podkolzin may not be suitable for a top 6 role just yet. But I think he will be a good bottom 6 player to start with. 

But for that to happen, he needs to improve on his positional plays. Knowing where to be, when to go and when to back off. He was very timid in the two games that I saw him play. And he wasn't using his body as much for some reason to create turnovers and forecheck, which is what he was advertised for. I'm guessing that he is still adapting to the North American game.

I thought Juolevi did a solid job in the PK. He wasn't perfect but he was solid. There were couple times where Tkachuk was left wide open in front of the net and OJ didn't bother to go and check his stick or take the body.. but aside from that he was fine on the PK and also on 5-on-5.

But man, I think Rathbone has surpassed OJ. Rathbone is sort of like what we hoped OJ would turn into. Lots of confidence in skill in the ozone and good skating. I would still prefer to send Rathbone to the AHL so that he can develop his game more. I think we need someone to kill penalties and OJ could fill that role to start the season.

• Wat 1

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I'm sorta done seeing Miller as a center, it was a nice experiment, but that has to end, its not a thing. 

Put him back with Petey and Boeser.

Without Sutter it might not be an option.   Pettersson, Horvat, Miller, Dickinson.  

• Vintage 1

33 minutes ago, khay said:

Three players that I was interested in were Podkolzin, Juolevi, and Rathbone.

I think Podkolzin may not be suitable for a top 6 role just yet. But I think he will be a good bottom 6 player to start with. 

But for that to happen, he needs to improve on his positional plays. Knowing where to be, when to go and when to back off. He was very timid in the two games that I saw him play. And he wasn't using his body as much for some reason to create turnovers and forecheck, which is what he was advertised for. I'm guessing that he is still adapting to the North American game.

I thought Juolevi did a solid job in the PK. He wasn't perfect but he was solid. There were couple times where Tkachuk was left wide open in front of the net and OJ didn't bother to go and check his stick or take the body.. but aside from that he was fine on the PK and also on 5-on-5.

But man, I think Rathbone has surpassed OJ. Rathbone is sort of like what we hoped OJ would turn into. Lots of confidence in skill in the ozone and good skating. I would still prefer to send Rathbone to the AHL so that he can develop his game more. I think we need someone to kill penalties and OJ could fill that role to start the season.

Not sure what game you were watching, Gudreau was Rathbone's responsibility on the first goal, Tkachuk was his responsibility on the third goal, I'm not sure who Rathbone thought his man was, but Tkachuk scored unmolested. He really struggled against Calgary's #1 line. When the play broke down on the second goal, Rathbone was lost in no-mans-land, not close enough to check the player, and just far enough away to screen Demko. Yes, he's a great skater and a good passer, but in the two games I've watched, he's awful defensively, which is bad when your position is defenseman. Juolevi isn't flashy, but his defensive game and positioning were for the most part solid. He looked really good on the PK, and that stop on the 2-on1 was Edleresk. He needs more work on his skating, but of the LHD in this game, Olli was the best.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

At this point I rather have Lockwood vs. Highmore. Also I like to have Chiasson too. A 4th line of Lockwood-Sutter-Motte would look good and have Chiasson as extra.

My opening lineup prediction:

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

Motte-Sutter-Lockwood

Chiasson

Hughes-Myers

OEL-Poolman

Juolevi-Rathbone

Schenn

Hamonic (absent)

Demko

Halak

For the 23 man roster

Sutter has "fatigue" and has not been at camp. I would like to see Wouster there but that is based one one preseason game.

3 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Has Podkolzin actually been so bad that he needs to start in the AHL? I think that might be a bit of a reach...

He is playing scared or tentative.

One play I remember, a Flame had the puck middle of the circles in our zone and Podz skated up to him and stopped next to him and tried to reach for the puck. He could have just run the flame over. However, Podz did not which gave the flame the chance to move the puck and make a play.

I've been a bit unimpressed with Dickinson's play so far. Not sure he is quite the 3C that I was expecting. Anyone else in that same camp? I know it's preseason, guys are rusty and we are not playing our full lineup, but I haven't seen a shutdown guy in his play and he doesn't seem to be that great on faceoffs either (not that I have looked at stats, so just the eyeball test)...

2 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

He is playing scared or tentative.

One play I remember, a Flame had the puck middle of the circles in our zone and Podz skated up to him and stopped next to him and tried to reach for the puck. He could have just run the flame over. However, Podz did not which gave the flame the chance to move the puck and make a play.

i saw that too. he just killed his momentum and decided to try a weak puck check. On the other hand, i saw him made some good backchecking plays too.

regarding the lineup, i would like something like that 

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

Chiasson-Petan-Lockwood

Motte

IR : Sutter

(with Hamonic)                 (without Hamonic)

OEL-Poolman                  OEL-Poolman

Hughes-Hamonic            Hughes-Myers

Rathbone-Myers             Rathbone-Schenn

Schenn                             Juolevi

Demko

Halak

20 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

i saw that too. he just killed his momentum and decided to try a weak puck check. On the other hand, i saw him made some good backchecking plays too.

regarding the lineup, i would like something like that 

Pettersson-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Garland

Chiasson-Petan-Lockwood

Motte

IR : Sutter

(with Hamonic)                 (without Hamonic)

OEL-Poolman                  OEL-Poolman

Hughes-Hamonic            Hughes-Myers

Rathbone-Myers             Rathbone-Schenn

Schenn                             Juolevi

Demko

Halak

For your lineup, I want Rathbone in the A, learning D and PK. We do not need Hughes and a Hughes lite. We need some D that can play D.

8 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Was at the game tonight. 

Couldn't really pay attention to the action because of the kids. 

Couple of notes. 

Petan was meh. I don't think he should have been out on the 5 on 3.

Rathbone is a pretty special talent. Some of the moves made with the puck at the blue line takes a lot of skill. I know he was on for a few goals against tonight but I couldn't really see the action on the other side of the ice. Keep in mind he's still pretty young. I have no doubt he'll be a solid top 4 D man with some experience and strength. 

Podz reminds me of Horvat in his rookie year. Nothing flashy, just a steady game that kind of goes unnoticed. He'd be a safe player on 3rd line so I don't see the need to put him in the AHL. 

Didn't really like McEwan's game. Tried to spark the team but had to cover the kids eyes during his fight with Gudbranson lol. 

Highmore not that great either. 

Liked Di Giuseppe and Hunt. 

From the Flames side, I liked Zadorov. The guy is huge. Not like Gudbranson huge but still huge. Too bad Canucks couldn't get him. 

Here's the crazy story of the night. Matthew Tkachuk converted me. I know it's blasphemy here but I am an unfortunate diehard  Canucks fan who unfortunately have kids that love the Flames. Son was wearing a Gaudreau jersey and daughter was wearing Tkachuk. During one of the whistles, he calls my daughter over and throws the puck to her over the glass. My daughter was so excited as it was her first hockey game. Pretty cool experience for the kids

20211001_201440.jpg

I guess that is the difference between live and TV. I thought Hunt was one of our worst players tonight. Skated miles and miles but did nothing. 
We put out a pretty terrible lineup against a team not to far off Calgary’s opening roster. 
I think you could see we just started on systems because a lot of the young guys just looked like they were thinking about where should be and what should be doing. That will improve with some more practice. 
I agree with a lot here that Podz wasn’t great today. I hope he settles in and starts to improve steadily. We have gotten so used to rookies coming in and being big pieces right away that when one takes a little more standard path it seems strange. Also a lot of culture shock going on.   If coach Green is true to his word though, Gadjo is beating him out for a spot on wing at this point. 

Kind of crazy that while some are complaining about last night's game, we were missing Horvat, Boeser, Petterson and Hughes. 

That's our 4 best players out of the line up. I think flames were missing Monahan, Lucic, Hanafin and Valimaki? Not even close to missing the same level of talent and It was still only a 1 goal game going into the 3rd...

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Kind of crazy that while some are complaining about last night's game, we were missing Horvat, Boeser, Petterson and Hughes. 

That's our 4 best players out of the line up. I think flames were missing Monahan, Lucic, Hanafin and Valimaki? Not even close to missing the same level of talent and It was still only a 1 goal game going into the 3rd...

Exactly this. And our guys were visibly tired. They started really well but tapered off quickly. It happens. A little rest will do them good.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1