The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Canucks @ Oilers Oct 7th 6 PM

Rate this topic

ForzaTikare

1 hour ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I missed most the game - but stoked to hear Podz had some good shifts

Funny that Petan is having more of an impact than Chiasson in front of the net on the PP...gotta think that guy gets cut loose tonight

Chiasson was responsible for one of our goals by screening the goalie. He played well.

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Well look at our lineup vs. Oilers lineup. Also Oilers had 2 two man advantage PPs that were more than 1 minute long. I think we did really well, and had 37 shots. Halak was really good too. Now I want Green to start our opening night roster in the last game

Absolutely. The score isn't important, but rather the process and we passed with flying colors tonight.

A lot of wins last season and the year before felt a bit hollow because there were a lot of games we played poorly but Demko or Marky saved the day which is fine they all count but efforts like this and  the Seattle game we were the better team 5 on 5 with half rosters vs full ones. The pk should be better when we have our full roster and it stands to reason we will be a lot better with the full team.

What I'm most looking forward to is seeing our entire dgroup all in the same game, aside from the personal changes, it seems like there has been a change in how they play style wise.

Our D is much quicker as well and did we even ice the puck from our backend?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, frank einstein said:

yeah could happen. I didn't expect him to do so well against Kassian.so who knows

Oiler fans are super angry with Mac. 

Upset he knocked off smith's helmet and then started the fight by ripping off Kassian's helmet and driving his head into the ice. 

Personally, I'm glad Mac did what he did because otherwise, there was not much to like about his game tonight. 

Also makes me think... 

Do the Canucks need Mac as he is pretty much the only one that can fight? 

I don't agree with ppl that say enforcers are the old NHL. 

I think ppl that sit super close to the glass have seen the role tough guys play even still today. 

The way a team plays including their aggression level is a byproduct of who is on your team. 

I've witnessed games that get chippy and someone like John Scott would yell between the whistles before the face off challenging guys. Many times there would be no takers and then the game would quiet down. 

I even witnessed this last game when canucks were playing in Cgy. Gudbranson stepped into a Canuck during one of the whistles and pretty much threatened to beat someone up if they don't settle down. 

It still happens guys. Shocking but true. 

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

He has Horvat, Hoglander, Garland, Petan, Pearson, Podkolzin etc. etc.

He has lots of options, I dont get your post??

But I can see Petersson carrying his own line and wont need Miller.

Garland-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Pearson

Petan-Miller-Podkolzin

Lockwood-Dickenson-Chiasson/Bailey

We could definitely have 3 scoring lines

the depth! its finally coming together!

1 hour ago, Darth Canuck said:

Best preseason game for Zack, even before the fight. It’s almost like having Gadj get claimed released some pressure on him, and he hustled and hit and was noticeable tonight.

Podz just keeps improving every game. I like!

Hunt is our new Alex Beiga. Short on stature, big on heart and hustle. 

Initially I didn’t think Halak was a good signing. So far it looks like I don’t know goaltending!

And how about Lockwood. Boy you keep this kid. Every shift, he leaves it out there. Got under McMuffins skin and pissed off a few others. Was doing pk as well.

Welcome back Petey and Quinn! Get well soon Brock, your buddies are back!

Go Canucks!!

re: the red bolded part  -  even though in one shift in the second period in his own zone he coughed up the puck 3 times  -  all within about a 30 second span ?

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, singing chef said:

re: the red bolded part  -  even though in one shift in the second period in his own zone he coughed up the puck 3 times  -  all within about a 30 second span ?

Until the fight, I was pretty annoyed with him. He passed up many opportunities to hit and tried weak stick checks on the puck instead. 

I was pretty much ready for the Canucks to waive him.... And then he knocks out Kassian and makes me smile. 

Podkzin and Miller looked really dangerous together tonight.  I think they could be a handful to play against.  Have to figure Bo will play with Hogs and Pearson,  and EP with Boeser.  

Where would you put Garland?  I think he’d make Miller’s line awfully scary.  Can EP and Boeser carry a guy like Petan or Chiasson?

Is there any footage of Lockwood hitting Draisatl? I want to see why McDavid and draisatl lost their heads.

In my opinion Lockwood should be on the 4th line, hopefully he finds a bit of a scoring touch. Imagine him and Motte barreling down on you. Those two plus Garland and Höglander wearing teams down. Should be interesting these final cuts.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

Is there any footage of Lockwood hitting Draisatl? I want to see why McDavid and draisatl lost their heads.

In my opinion Lockwood should be on the 4th line, hopefully he finds a bit of a scoring touch. Imagine him and Motte barreling down on you. Those two plus Garland and Höglander wearing teams down. Should be interesting these final cuts.

Curious if anyone has seen enough of Garland to comment on him yet.  I feel like I haven't noticed him as much which can be as good as it can be bad.  I'm not concerned, I just feel like I haven't paid attention to him enough yet.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BCNate said:

Podkzin and Miller looked really dangerous together tonight.  I think they could be a handful to play against.  Have to figure Bo will play with Hogs and Pearson,  and EP with Boeser.  

Where would you put Garland?  I think he’d make Miller’s line awfully scary.  Can EP and Boeser carry a guy like Petan or Chiasson?

Podz Miller Garland would be a great line and a tough one to play against. 

X Petey Boeser

Pearson Horvat Hog

Garland Miller Podz

Lockwood Dickinson X

That would make an interesting line up for sure. 

I would want a stronger version of Petan on that top line as I am not convinced he will win his puck battles and losing puck possession would kill the momentum of that line. 

I would be totally ok with the Canucks trying it to see if it works? 

I would feel depending on who they get on that top line, TG can just roll the lines as they all seem pretty solid

1 minute ago, Pure961089 said:

What good is speed if you barely use it.  Podkolzin has a physical presence about him we hardly ever saw from Virtanen.  

Pods speed is  better than I thought it might be.

An 'awkward' stride was a critique of him as a prospect, but he's actually a pretty powerful skater.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Curious if anyone has seen enough of Garland to comment on him yet.  I feel like I haven't noticed him as much which can be as good as it can be bad.  I'm not concerned, I just feel like I haven't paid attention to him enough yet.

He's played with plugs most of the pre-season and hasn't gotten much PP time (as he's on 2nd unit). Garland-Miller-Podkolzin was a thing but only last a game a half. That was early on when Podz didn't look great. Now Miller is with Petan and they seem to play decent. Still don't like Miller at C and Garland looked alright with Petey but it was their first time playing together.

Still think the Canucks should stack their top 6 and create more of a shutdown 3rd. 

Edited by Outsiders
  • Cheers 1