The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sharks claim Jonah Gadjovich off waivers

2 minutes ago, guntrix said:

Jonah Gadjovich has long been overhyped by this board. Posters shouldn’t be overreacting this badly. 

He’s young, has size, and should have very easily been able to contribute on the 4th line. Something we haven’t had in a very long time. Shameful he got waived. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, RWJC said:

What do you think are the defensive problems if any, and if it’s personnel, how would you address it? What changes would you try to make?

I don't know, because I don't have the level of access required to make those evaluations. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I agree that a lost player is not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

Its the fact that it’s an unforced error - a hallmark of this regime - that pisses people off.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

This has by far been the stupidest roster decision since WD allowed Megna to disgrace the Canucks jersey.  There is a reason people aren't happy, and it's because the average person on here could have seen this coming, and why it would be a problem. If our head coach can't figure that out, he needs to be replaced immediately.

Gadj was pretty much on pace for a point a game in the AHL as a 22 year old prospect playing a power forward role.

Ofcourse this hurts.  Yes it wouldnt have mattered much this year as he would be 12F or 13F but why not keep him at 12F and 13F to see if he can replicate or improve at NHL level than to risk losing him without even giving him a chance...

So far this preseason, it seems like his momentum contined at 2 games played, 2 pts with very limited icetime...

I am a fan of management as well as this team but can also call out stupidity when it happens.

The ones that rather knock Gadj  than to question this move obviously has some unresolved issues...

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

You seem oddly defensive.

Gadj is a good player. The point is that he looked to be a better player than a quite a few of the guys still competing for a spot. Perhaps folk are upset because Gadj had quite noticeably outplayed others competing for the spot that have been kept ahead of him and had less upside? Perhaps they're miffed that he didn't get a longer look? Perhaps it's because the team didn't try to sneak him through when teams were closer to finalizing their rosters and sending their final roster cuts down?

Simply saying "good players get claimed" isn't justification enough for losing a recent 2nd round pick with size, coming off a nearly goal per game campaign last year in the AHL, that performed well in camp. It's especially egregious considering that multiple teams apparently made claims on Gadj while not one other player from yesterday's cuts was claimed at all.

However, if you agree with the cut, that would imply that a player on a PTO and a few fringe players that haven't really impressed were worth holding onto over Gadj. I don't believe this personally, but if you do, how can you still consider him a good pick? 

Point is that we lost a second round pick for nothing, which means that at some point the ball was dropped. 

Awesome post.

Hit the nail on the head

Like dont we want to see what a 22 year old power forward prospect who nearly put up a point a game in the AHL is capable of in the NHL?

So far, I see 2 pts in 2 games during pres season with very little ice time.

Hmmm....wouldn't you want to try an extended look?

No? give him away to another team??? SUREEEEE

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

This has by far been the stupidest roster decision since WD allowed Megna to disgrace the Canucks jersey.  There is a reason people aren't happy, and it's because the average person on here could have seen this coming, and why it would be a problem. If our head coach can't figure that out, he needs to be replaced immediately.

I guess I'm trying to figure out why waiving him now was necessary.

We don't know the plan yet, maybe its to start the year carrying 12 F and 8 d for cap and depth reasons?

Dunno. I don't get it, and Greens comment about expecting to use him this year makes it even more of a mystery to me.

• Cheers 4

It’s unfortunate that this player did not clear, 

it shows that the Canucks are at a “tipping” point with good talent, where other teams aren’t.

Its a situation that will probably happen again, perhaps sooner than later.

Hard to find teams to trade with in this scenario, at this time of year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

By deferring, I mean dropping my argument.

I do trust JB and Green

I question their decision sometimes but who am I as a couch potato to think I know more than them.

I do have an issue though when we see a prospect play very limited time and produces in that time but a random guy on CDC says that production doesnt matter and they got waived because of their poor systems play.

I was simply asking, did they actually closely watch said prospect and identified his systems play was weak?

I didn't get an answer for that question...

For all we know, JB and Green dropped him for other reasons such as positional needs or they have 2 wingers that have outplayed him and have saved a spot for Bailey as they already know what he brings and likes him.

I'm jsut not a fan of people talking about a players game like they know what they are talking about without actually watching them play.

Ah, I see. Well whatever it is coaches don't usually throw players under the bus but they will generally comment on their basic ask ... such as, 'You know he's a great young player we just thought he needs to get a little bit quicker. Sometimes it's a bit more complicated but yeah I get it. I don't care really care what the reason is though, as much as I appreciated his tools/size I haven't seen a lot of great hockey play from him yet ... except banging in those 20 goals down low of course.... but obviously that alone doesn't get you into the NHL.

At the end of the day I'm sure they debated the pros and cons for a long time before the decision. His lack of PK obviously comes into it and maybe they just never saw using him anything more than a 23 with Motte and Sutter back. That potentially stops us from icing the better team and a good start by waiving a PK/skater/experience guy who would actually play some games.

So we'll see. Great fan base we have. We're going to have guys booing Chiasson, Petan, and Juolevi on opening night. :picard:

3 minutes ago, tas said:

I don't know, because I don't have the level of access required to make those evaluations. 

With all due respect, while that may be true, shouldn’t it then produce some self-awareness? You’re hiding behind statements that devalue or deride other’s opinions or perspectives because they aren’t media fodder straight out of management’s mouth. 

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

It’s unfortunate that this player did not clear, 

it shows that the Canucks are at a “tipping” point with good talent, where other teams aren’t.

Its a situation that will probably happen again, perhaps sooner than later.

Hard to find teams to trade with in this scenario, at this time of year.

No really over tipping with talent, we have at least half a dozen forwards still with the team that would clear without a doubt.

• Cheers 1

Just now, RWJC said:

With all due respect, while that may be true, shouldn’t it then produce some self-awareness? You’re hiding behind statements that devalue or deride other’s opinions or perspectives because they aren’t media fodder straight out of management’s mouth. 

no, it's because it is literally impossible for them to have any valuable insight into the machinations of the team. it's like spending half an hour inside a best buy buying a tv and feeling like I now know how the entire company operates on all levels. 

1 minute ago, tas said:

no, it's because it is literally impossible for them to have any valuable insight into the machinations of the team. it's like spending half an hour inside a best buy buying a tv and feeling like I now know how the entire company operates on all levels. 

But that’s what a fan is allowed to do. 
Supporting a team affords vicarious “ownership”. Why are you trying to correct that? Does it make you feel infallible or something? I don’t get it.

No offense meant and none taken I hope. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, tas said:

Considering management's track record when it comes to player evaluation, it doesn't seem as though they have much more insight than your average armchair GM. 

I keep saying this, but if the management and coaching staff want people to trust their decisions, they first must inspire trust.

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1