The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 13, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Poolman was insanely good.  

I wouldn't say insanely good. But solid for sure. 

Nice to see the concern about Poolman and OEL go away. 

You don't have to be flashy to be effective. Burroughs was noticeable in a good way. Rathbone was getting chances when the Canucks needed him.

Damn this team needs Brock to balance out the scoring. I hope Sutter gets healthy too. 

I don't mind Dowling. But I'd feel more comfortable with Sutter on the 4th line. 

My hope is Petey and TJ start clicking. Because Miller clearly looks frustrated. He's also not dominating on the boards like he did his first year in Vancouver. 

5 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I had the best sleep I've had in a long time....no lie.  Some may think it was the GIANT glass of wine, but I know it's because hockey's back.

Love this team....they showed resiliency and the Oilers came out flying but also appeared to think they had the deal sealed too early.  They tend to peter out a bit and our team paces itself a little better.  If Smith wasn't on they would've been in real trouble.  Was a tough battle and we didn't get the 2 points, but I feel totally satisfied with how our guys responded.  When we were down 2-0 I had that sinking feeling gnawing away, but also had faith that they wouldn't just roll over and die.

Keith getting what he's long deserved was putting a happy stamp on things.  A nice, solid/clean hit that sent a good message.  

Giant Glass of wine = Bottle? ;)

4 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

By the sounds of it, after reading all these post, pretty well everyone was reasonably fine with the effort tonight, given we played with half a team full of new players for the first time.  The real surprise is that only a few were calling for Greens head on a platter.  Which is very unusual after a loss.    So in all - a pretty good night!

I was one of those people before the game who would've welcomed a coach change. That being said, I'm not blind to what's in front of me. Seems like he had a good game.

I am, however, not entirely convinced that Green will do a good job this season, at least not yet. Once we make the playoffs or look like we will go there, my mind will change for sure.

The reason for my hesitation in supporting Green is that every game we have a situation where the Canucks have a poor second period. Arguably yesterday's game was a lot better in that regard. But too many times have I seen the Canucks play to defend the loss, which really is a curious thing to see. Additionally, there's always a too many men penalty of some kind in the game (maybe Green gets a free pass last game, bit the point still stands). Moreover, our PP needs to be show improvement this year because of the overhaul of roster players. If the Canucks aren't a winner, that's on Green (and probably on Benning also). 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

On a sad note.

Can we take a moment of silence for our teams helmets?

It seems TD bank found it important to place their giant ugly corporate brand sticker on the dome of all our beloved warriors.

I will make sure not to do business with TD.

I don't bank with TD but that seems a little harsh. They sponsor our guys and you want to boycott them? 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I don't bank with TD but that seems a little harsh. They sponsor our guys and you want to boycott them? 

Yes.

No corporate sponsors on the unis/helmets.

The only story I have heard that is kinda cool is what NJ is doing with the helmets. I think they are donating the space to a rotation of small businesses.

https://abc7ny.com/sports/new-jersey-devils-helmets-to-have-advertising-from-black-owned-busi/11120840/

Edited by bishopshodan
Added link, black-owned businesses.
  • Cheers 1

Now I see why JB has wanted OEL in a Canuck uni. They just have to stay out of the box until Motte and hopefully Sutter get back. Garland, Dickinson, Juho, and Pearson all played well. But, the best forward on the team last night was Hoglander, by far. If there is one thing I'd like to see in OT, would be a taste of NH, on the ice in OT. We might be seeing "bubble" Demko too, he had no chance on both Coiler goals.

The forward depth on this years team shows why they've exposed MacEwan, and Gads, they weren't good enough to play this type of game. The Canuck top nine is certainly as good or better as any top nine in the league. Burroughs looks like a good, reliable dman, and screw Sportsnet and their praise for how great a game Duncan Keith plays at 38 years old. The Coilers d is terrible, and Smith was terrible on QH's tying goal. What was he thinking?

4 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Now I see why JB has wanted OEL in a Canuck uni. They just have to stay out of the box until Motte and hopefully Sutter get back. Garland, Dickinson, Juho, and Pearson all played well. But, the best forward on the team last night was Hoglander, by far. If there is one thing I'd like to see in OT, would be a taste of NH, on the ice in OT. We might be seeing "bubble" Demko too, he had no chance on both Coiler goals.

The forward depth on this years team shows why they've exposed MacEwan, and Gads, they weren't good enough to play this type of game. The Canuck top nine is certainly as good or better as any top nine in the league. Burroughs looks like a good, reliable dman, and screw Sportsnet and their praise for how great a game Duncan Keith plays at 38 years old. The Coilers d is terrible, and Smith was terrible on QH's tying goal. What was he thinking?

I love the uptempo style of hockey we played.

McDavid was the only one that was faster than our guys and even then, we contained him quite well I thought. Our forwards clogged up the neutral zone so he couldnt come in full speed which was a really good job as a 5 man unit. TG and Shaw should get some credit here.

As long as we dont get derailed by injuries this year, I think we will surprise a lot of experts.

They had Canucks as 38% chance to make the playoffs and Vegas lines were paying out 2.7 if you bet on the Canucks to make the playoffs. That's nearly tripling your money.  Good thing I  bet heavy on our guys this year.

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Yes.

No corporate sponsors on the unis/helmets.

The only story I have heard that is kinda cool is what NJ is doing with the helmets. I think they are donating the space to a rotation of small businesses. 

And, at least so far, the NJ decals are a little less intrusive in that they blend into the background a little. That TD logo stands out like a bad toupè.

251BBF68-4965-4B1D-89CA-0B7BA7714E19.jpeg

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, stawns said:

That's the hockey version of "do your own research"

jimmy fallon no GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Still hopes the team does well and last nights game was still a lost and the participation trophy remarks are proof.  My main point if you missed it: the roster has alot of depth after a busy offseason but I am still skeptical if the coaching staff can put it all together.   Let see where the team is after 20 games.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Vintage 1

Might not be popular, but I'm thinking Podkolzin could use lots of ice time and time to get comfortable, playing in Abbotsford for a hand full of games. He looked like a deer in headlights last night, maybe somewhat in awe at the speed and how good every player is. An eye-opener.  Give Lockwood a chance.  He's not tentative at all.  

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Might not be popular, but I'm thinking Podkolzin could use lots of ice time and time to get comfortable, playing in Abbotsford for a hand full of games. He looked like a deer in headlights last night, maybe somewhat in awe at the speed and how good every player is. An eye-opener.  Give Lockwood a chance.  He's not tentative at all.  

I thought he was playing well and deserving of more time

He was creating tons of chances. 

When he came down the right and button hooked back to look for trailers, defenders couldnt do anything as Podz's big frame protects the puck so well.

I think he's a smart player. Once defenders think that's his only move is when he'll prob take it hard to the net.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I thought he played an important role last night, no need to demote him unless he starts to fade. 

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I thought he was playing well and deserving of more time

He was creating tons of chances. 

When he came down the right and button hooked back to look for trailers, defenders couldnt do anything as Podz's big frame protects the puck so well.

I think he's a smart player. Once defenders think that's his only move is when he'll prob take it hard to the net.

Podz made a couple of outstanding passes. Only way I would worry about him is if his TOI drops below 10 minutes on a consistent basis. He should adapt very quickly.

13 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

And, at least so far, the NJ decals are a little less intrusive in that they blend into the background a little. That TD logo stands out like a bad toupè.

At the very least it meshes with the team's colours, unlike the bright red Rogers logo we had last year.

• Cheers 1