The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 13, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

30 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah he is rolling right now, he needs more minutes, currently in preseason and first game Hoglander>Miller.

I would try:

Hoglander - Pettersson - Boeser

Miller - Horvat - Garland

Pearson - Dickinson - Podkolzin

Highmore - Lammikko - Chiasson

Just until Miller gets going.

I'd rather see Dowling on the fourth line instead of Highmore. The coaching staff must see enough in him, to have him on the second unit pp. Plus, he takes faceoffs.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Waaaaaaaaay too long

I personally hope we clobber him every time we play them, let him go into retirement beaten to a pulp and hurting all over 

I just don't understand why it took so long. I don't think he was even bumped all the years we played him. I guess that's why every other team believes they can take liberties with our smaller talented forwards whenever they want. Hopefully this changes their mind somewhat.

49 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Panic?

Like I always say, half the things y'all come @ me for do not even exist, where am I panicking?

The other guy above said I claimed our bottom 6 was a "problem", where did I say that?

Just saying that, IMO, that was a very winnable game with better coaching and assuming we're a bubble team, every point matters.

I'd personally stack our top-6 and just hope the bottom 6 treads water in a more defensive role. Not because it's ideal, but because it's what we have to work with:

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Garland

I'd be happy with that top 6 for sure. 

OK no panic then. 

• Huggy Bear 1

47 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

It must be surreal for guys like OEL and Garland or Dickinson to come to a market where before the first game of the season fans are calling for the coach who has just signed a new two year deal to be fired. After game one people are arguing about who plays on which line or what raw rookie only played seven minutes. I mean it’s great that we care but talk about a fan base that lights it’s own hair on fire. I’m sure players must have a love/hate relationship for playing in Vancouver. 

…and yes I realize that caring too much is far better than not caring at all.

I think they call it "passionate" :lol: if it were me, I'd rather be in a place willing to burn its downtown down than be the 5th sport in some US state. 

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I personally dont think he just looks good because he is playing down the lineup, I think for the next one-two years Hoglander is going to be a very underrated player due to his size. His training and work ethic are elite, and I think it will start to show that these arent just one-off performances. Eventually they will have no choice but to play him in the top 6. If you look at his NHL stats for his age they are elite (equivalent to easily a top 10 pick). 

Agreed that he's a good player who can succeed in just about any context and that's why I said "in part".  But there's nothing wrong with him destroying easier matchups while he's making his case. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I just don't understand why it took so long. I don't think he was even bumped all the years we played him. I guess that's why every other team believes they can take liberties with our smaller talented forwards whenever they want. Hopefully this changes their mind somewhat.

I think a big part of it was the fact that before he began to decline he was a very, very effective skater and player

If you look at his career numbers he's actually stayed remarkably healthy most of his career, playing 80 games or more nine times and 70 games or more twelve times, to stay that healthy as a D you've got to be durable or elusive 

Tougher to hit a D with the puck when he's carrying it through the neutral zone or playing it in the offensive zone too 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Agreed that he's a good player who can succeed in just about any context and that's why I said "in part".  But there's nothing wrong with him destroying easier matchups while he's making his case. 

My concern would be will he be able to maximize his offensive potential with Dickinson as his center or would Pearson be better suited for a meat and potatoes type checking line while popping in the some goal here or there. 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Takeaways from the game:

1.  Without a lot of regulars, including Hamonic, outside of the PP we were able to mostly nullify the best line in hockey. 

2.  5x5 we were the better team.

3.  We our hustled them and we're rewarded with the PPs.

4.  Smith was for sure lucky, quick whistles kept the Oilers from losing in regulation.

5.  Chiasson ... the new Megna?  Got to score on one of those sweet set-ups

6.  CDC needs to leave Miller alone.   Stupid comments about him.   

7. Not much at all to complain about given we are already playing with our early December roster lol.   As in NO Motte, Sutter, BB, Hamonic. 

8.  Depth. 

9.  Shoot-outs need to be banned forever from the NHL, wouldn't have cared if we won it.   Stupid skills competition gimmick's don't belong in the NHL.  3 x 3 is exciting, leave it at that please.

10.  Man welcome back fans!  And the CDC, win or lose, this is a team i can get  behind finally.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Anyone else notice how more and more miserable McDavid is getting as the years go by?  Saw him on the bench sitting next to Puljujarvi during the game, and the Fin was yacking away with his big horse mouth, and Connor looked genuinely annoyed at him, like he really wanted Puljujarvi to shut up already.  So much pressure all on him (and a little on Drai), to bring another Cup to EDM. I say he cracks before that happens, and requests a trade out of EDM.

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, CanucksJay said:

Our 2 7m defensemen scored!  OEL and Hughes looked good. 

Good game. Could have gone either way. 

Really liked Burroughs game tonight. 

Rathbone looked good. That was a pretty solid 3rd pairing. 

How about Mysey? 

Who's complaining about him now?  Loved his game tonight. 

The fact he blew up Keith and then beat up Sceviour and got us on the power play was awesome. 

Poolman bent but didn't break. 

He's literally a 4.5D

He can fill in at 4 but too much ice time and he'll get exposed. At 5, he'd be on cruise control. 

I think poolman would be fine at 4 for most games but this was a good test against a fast team. 

Chiasson. Not sure what to think. 

Got tons of chances and stood out in a good way that way but if someone with better hands was there instead, would we have seen more goals? 

Hogz was solid tonight. Loved his compete level. 

I really think they should take Miller off PP1. 

Agreed with most of your points. 

Hughes and OEL look good, and the fact that OEL looked like he was moving well all over the ice in his first game as a Canuck, seems to bode well for him and the team as the season progresses. Hopefully no serious injury on him. Knock on wood. 

Hughes I didn't really notice until the game tying goal. Wonder if that's a good sign. lol

Poolman - how did he look? I didn't really notice him either. Myers is Myers. One good game, I do not expect that continue, maybe a down game in Philly tomorrow afternoon. 

Maybe switch Miller and Garland on the powerplays. Garland to me seems more gritty kind of player, crash and bang, and can score as well. Miller didn't look good last night, wonder if he's going to get it going soon. Seems to be the moody kind of player, needs to play on fire for him to effective, or else he's not really contributing elsewhere on the team. 

Hope JT scores tomorrow in Philly. 

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Chiasson was solid last night

for a fourth line player I guess. 

He needs to be more of a net presence, I didn't think he was doing too much to get in Smith's grill. 

Demko I thought played fantastic, made the necessary routine saves that he needed to make to keep the team in it, and he made some spectacular saves as well, when the team needed him to make them. I think he's going to be a top 6-7 goalie in the league this year. He's blossoming. Hoping he continues his stellar and hot start tomorrow against Philly. 

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Anyone else notice how more and more miserable McDavid is getting as the years go by?  Saw him on the bench sitting next to Puljujarvi during the game, and the Fin was yacking away with his big horse mouth, and Connor looked genuinely annoyed at him, like he really wanted Puljujarvi to shut up already.  So much pressure all on him (and a little on Drai), to bring another Cup to EDM. I say he cracks before that happens, and requests a trade out of EDM.

Edmonton is just a sad case of relying on one guy too much. They haven't drafted well at all, and they really should be further along in their contention. I mean the fact that their defense is still as bad as it was all these years says something about their management (and we complain about Benning...can you imagine if we had Edmonton's management team all those years?). 

I agree with ya. I think McDavid cracks and asks for a trade out of Edmonton to another contending team. He should've done what Pettersson did to the Canucks. Sign short deals, say publicly that he wants to play for a winner, and force management to do their goddamn job of putting together a winner. 

46 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I think they call it "passionate" :lol: if it were me, I'd rather be in a place willing to burn its downtown down than be the 5th sport in some US state. 

I'm sure they will miss the soothing sounds of crickets during their home games, though B)

• Haha 1

Did the Green haters forget he only got signed for two more years? I think that's a pretty clear signal that he's on a pretty short leash. 

I say he gets fired mid-season if the Canucks completely crash coming out of the gate or he gets axed at the end of this season if the Canucks don't make the playoffs. Or his contract doesn't get renewed if the Canucks have two quick playoff exits for the next two years. 

I'm not mad that he hasn't gotten fired yet, but I'm happy that he's on a short leash, the next two years are his last chance to show that he's a legitimate NHL coach. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

I agree with ya. I think McDavid cracks and asks for a trade out of Edmonton to another contending team. He should've done what Pettersson did to the Canucks. Sign short deals, say publicly that he wants to play for a winner, and force management to do their goddamn job of putting together a winner. 

He should have asked his agent to include a YTC (Yes trade clause) :lol:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Did the Green haters forget he only got signed for two more years? I think that's a pretty clear signal that he's on a pretty short leash. 

I say he gets fired mid-season if the Canucks completely crash coming out of the gate or he gets axed at the end of this season if the Canucks don't make the playoffs. Or his contract doesn't get renewed if the Canucks have two quick playoff exits for the next two years. 

I'm not mad that he hasn't gotten fired yet, but I'm happy that he's on a short leash, the next two years are his last chance to show that he's a legitimate NHL coach. 

one game into the season and you are already talking about short leash. try checking out what Aquilini has said about Benning, Green and coaches, he said he has complete faith in all of them. which means he is happy with the way things are going!!!