The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Pettersson not the same player we expect him to be?

Rate this topic

b3nnyb

42 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

Going by the first three years of play Petty is on pair with Matthews and Barkov but McBaby is step ahead of all. 

Pettersson is absolutely not yet on par with Matthews.  It's not even particularly close.  Pettersson is very good but he has to actually live up to his projections and upside, not just be credited with having achieved those when he has topped out at 65 points or so.

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Who are without Jack Eichel. That kind of loss should be a fireable offence. 

Buffalo is playing fantastic at both ends. They have earned their wins.

The Canucks are just not. How often do you see teams moving a puck around the offensive zone 5 on 5 for minutes on end like it’s a PP? Where both our defensemen are at the hash marks or above?

Our systems are garbage.

• Thanks 1

He'll be fine.  Just needs some more games and maybe some bounces.

With that said, carrying a whole ass team is, evidently, taxing.  For a few seasons now, we've been way too reliant on him so we need this "top 10 forward group" to also step up.

17 minutes ago, JM_ said:

hmm, not really. Its easy to say that, but Petey is just a kid, he didn't handle any of the hard stuff in the negotiation, they will follow what their agents recommend. 

I would imagine the conversation is quite simple:

"They are offering you X, I think I can get you Y if you hold out. You may miss training camp or even part of the regular season. Do you want to take X or hold out for Y?"

Agents can offer advice and their opinion but again, it's the player's decision. He's 22 not 6.

1 hour ago, kanucks25 said:

Benning was right all along. :ph34r:

Seriously though, the Greztky comparisons he got when he first burst onto the scene were absurd, but that's just what happens in a crazy market. People always talk about how the bad gets exacerbated but it works the other way, too.

So far he's played about 2 seasons' worth of games and has pretty much produced like a first liner. It'll take more than a slow start over a handful of games for me to be worried.

Some get pretty bent on such comparisons but they are often ignoring any context or limitation of the comparison. I made a Gretzky comparison early on but in just one regard. His shiftiness in stick handling. This isn't some proclamation that he's "the next Gretzky. It's just a comparison to one aspect of a players game. Which is quite valid as there are many aspects to a players game. For example: saying somebody skates like McDavid isn't saying they will have the same production or career. It's simply a comparison to one aspect of the player. Gretzky himself made comparisons on aspects of Petey's game to his own (broader than my own). So are you saying Gretzky is absurd? 

Just now, Baggins said:

Gretzky himself made comparisons on aspects of Petey's game to his own (broader than my own). So are you saying Gretzky is absurd? 

Gretzky always plays the humble and positive card, that's just how he is.

Media is going to lead him into the question and he's going to agree and pump up the player. It wasn't the first time and it won't be the last.

4 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Some get pretty bent on such comparisons but they are often ignoring any context or limitation of the comparison. I made a Gretzky comparison early on but in just one regard. His shiftiness in stick handling. This isn't some proclamation that he's "the next Gretzky. It's just a comparison to one aspect of a players game. Which is quite valid as there are many aspects to a players game. For example: saying somebody skates like McDavid isn't saying they will have the same production or career. It's simply a comparison to one aspect of the player. Gretzky himself made comparisons on aspects of Petey's game to his own (broader than my own). So are you saying Gretzky is absurd? 

Actually Gretzky was pretty specific in the areas of Petey's game that reminded him of the he played. Again, this isn't some proclamation that their careers will be the same. It's doing nothing more than comparing particular aspects of a players game.

8 minutes ago, Baggins said:

People read too much into a specific comparison.  Petr Klima was Gretzky like in his stickhandling...arguably the best in the league.  He was just a substantially above average player overall though.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, b3nnyb said:

Hello everyone 

Do you feel Pettersson is not the same player that we expect him to be?

Looking back at the comparisons made to Gretzky and McDavid looks absurd

There is a reason why many scouts had ranked him lower than where he was picked but we’re treating him like a 1st overall pick

Has the time come to stop these silly comparisons to the legends and accept that he’s at best a 1B/2A C?

He got some problems when he changed the skate angle and on that Green wants him to be a 200 foot player and first center. 
This transition from a creative alien to a boring NHL 1st 200 foot player take some time.

But Benning and Green will have the player they want…

I think a perfect comparison for him point trajectory wise would be like a Datsyuk (Mostly a ppg 80 point player; 97 was his peak).

Never really blew your socks off with yearly 100 point seasons, but a lethal player and very good on both ends of the ice.

He's not a McDavid or Mackinnon, even a Matthews for that matter but can still be elite.

That being said, so long as his defensive game keeps developing and he maintains his hockey IQ/stick handling skills.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, b3nnyb said:

Hello everyone 

There is a reason why many scouts had ranked him lower than where he was picked but we’re treating him like a 1st overall pick

Has the time come to stop these silly comparisons to the legends and accept that he’s at best a 1B/2A C?

I never expected him even come near McDavid, let alone Gretzky. 

No one is like either of those players. As much as I despise the Oilers, they were truly gifted with getting McDavid (along with the other, what, 5 first overall picks?).

He has the speed of Bure, the playmaking abilities of Lemieux and the vision of Gretzky. 

That's a true once in a generation talent. 

At the time in 2017, our team up front was desolate outside of Boeser and we'd constantly been craving that new young #1 Center.

When Petey came in and started breaking those records in his first 10 games and in Sweden prior to that, fans had good reason to hype him.

However, the NHL is unlike any other league, you need to be at the top form every moment to maintain your pace against all the other best hockey players in the world.

There are no free passes. 

2 hours ago, Dekey Pete said:

:picard:

Missed the last game, must have been a stinker based on the abundance of "sky is falling" threads being started

I also missed the last game but it was so bad as to diminish the body of work established over 169 games of Petey's NHL career?

Must have been a terrible game by EP.

I'm sure he's going to come out strong in the next game.

14 minutes ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

I think a perfect comparison for him point trajectory wise would be like a Datsyuk (Mostly a ppg 80 point player; 97 was his peak).

Never really blew your socks off with yearly 100 point seasons, but a lethal player and very good on both ends of the ice.

He's not a McDavid or Mackinnon, even a Matthews for that matter but can still be elite.

That being said, so long as his defensive game keeps developing and he maintains his hockey IQ/stick handling skills.

I'd rather have Datsyuk than Matthews, that's for sure. Matthews doesn't get things done in the playoffs.

Might even choose Datsyuk over MacKinnon. But playoff MacKinnon makes this a tough call.

A player that excels at both ends of the ice, two time Stanley cup champs and basically a Selke winner or a finalist every season.

I hope Petey can be the next Datsyuk, there's no need for next Gretzky and frankly, there will never be one anyways.

I think Petey's struggle has more to do with that line not gelling. Miller doing things his way. Petey used to defer to Miller but it seems like he wants to do things his way now.

Honestly, I think much or our woes are a product of our Power Play and it's inability to score. Petey stopped having as many highlight reels ever since our PP has been garbage. This is a big coaching issue.

Watching Petey on the PP in his first game back in the pre-season against the Oilers I noticed this problem right away. There was a set play where Pettersson slid the puck on the ice towards the net so Petan could angle his stick for a top shelf tip. While this did result in a PP goal at the time, I couldn't help but wonder why the hell is Petey being told to use these cutesy little set plays? No coach tells Ovechkin or Pastrnak to use set plays like this. If Petey had enough room to slide the puck on the ice, he sure has hell had enough room to take a shot.

Pettersson is a very complete player though, which I don't think he gets enough credit for. Even when he isn't scoring highlight reel goals he is helping the team win. He's the type of player that is always going to get better and better because of his work ethic, plus once his body fills out more he will be able to do more, just like the Sedin's did.

For some reason our PP never seems to have enough space on the ice. Once we get a system that actually works, it should allow Petey to have the room to start impressing again.

4 hours ago, b3nnyb said:

Hello everyone 

In a redo of the 2017 NHL draft he IS the first overall pick, second at worst if you take Makar over him...

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/wayne-gretzky-compares-canucks-elias-pettersson-sidney-crosby/

I would think comparing shared traits is what a constitutes a comparison, no? 

No, people are saying the comparison means they going to be next "Great One". When only some traits are being compared. If someone says you walk like your dad does not mean they think you are going be like your dad in every way.  

Edited by vancan2233

4 minutes ago, vancan2233 said:

No, people are saying the comparison means they going to be next "Great One". When only some traits are being compared. If someone says you walk like your dad does not mean they think you are going be like your dad in every way.  

You have the same eyebrows as Adolf Hitler.

Quinn Hughes is most certainly the more impactful of the two. He has his own deficiencies, but he's already on track to be more of a Franchise player.

You really noticed how much he is missed in last night's game.

Petey is absolutely deadly from the hashmarks in, his shot is top 10 in the league and he can dangle in-tight like nobody's business.
But 5-on-5 he's just not as effective as he should be. He can't enter the zone to save his life, he just doesn't carry the puck with enough speed and seems to fear larger defenders.

I honestly think these things will come with age and strength, though. He kinda reminds of me of Markus Naslund before he truly broke out and became the main guy for the Nucks. He's just not that guy yet.