The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Cory Schneider, Kyle Criscuolo

56 minutes ago, Rubik said:

and it's not like he was god awful right after he left for new jersey.. he had 3 amazing years there, similar numbers to his Canucks stats, but getting 60-70 starts a year.

He was the all-time save % leader for the NHL when he left Vancouver and still maintained that position for a number of years after leaving Vancouver. Even after all of the injuries and resultant sub par seasons he still ranks 11th overall in save %. Statistically, he was one of the all-time greats over an 8 year period.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

He kind of did at the time. 

I don’t think so. Using a top 10 pick to acquire a goaltender is basically unheard of.

That being said, I do remember feeling like we should have gotten more at the time… I think it was close to a fair deal. 

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, sassbs said:

That’s like… $7mill per year

edit: it’s more like $5.3 or something 

You're probably right in terms of money, I'm too lazy to check. The cap penalty was all I was thinking about, but really what's $2.3m these days anyway? You wouldn't even get a burger and a bottle of water in Seattle's greenwash arena.

• Upvote 1

I am sorry I didn't follow the whole story closely.

But why did the Canucks traded both Schneider and Luongo in two years?

I could understand why the Canucks traded Schneider as Luongo's contract made it difficult to trade him.

But why did the Canucks eventually traded both, even they needed to eat up part of Luongo's salary?

1 hour ago, The King of Kings said:

I could understand why the Canucks traded Schneider as Luongo's contract made it difficult to trade him.

But why did the Canucks eventually traded both, even they needed to eat up part of Luongo's salary?

here we go batman GIF

It’s because we had Eddie Lack. 

truth be told, Gillis stunk this one up a bit. Schneider was the goaltender of the future. Then he paid Luongo with an ultra long contract. Schneider was the odd person out, so we traded him. 

Little did we know that John Tortorella would come in and see Eddie Lack as the superior goalie, alienate Luongo. Okay that might be a stretch, but he did Luongo pretty dirty. Outdoor game, millionaires jersey, tons of fan fare, play your backup. Whereby Luongo requests a trade. Says his contract sucks. 

Then we were left to get another goalie. Ryan Miller was awesome. Eddie Lack liked tacos. Eddie went to Carolina and some other teams (Flames iirc). Could’ve been decent but injuries got to him. 

Edited by Oregon.Duck

Doesn’t Cory have a mental illness, or some serious anxiety issues that caused a lot of his struggles to play well under pressure?  He did well when he was a backup to Loui.  No pressure.  Then in Jersey he did well when they were a poor team.  No pressure.  As the Devils got better Cory got worse.  

3 hours ago, The King of Kings said:

WWW%2520Can%2520of%2520Worms.png&f=1&nof

19 hours ago, Bounce000 said:

Pierre McGuire at the draft: “Lou lamoriello pulled off a major heist”

Hehe

It's true.  Schneider was outplaying Luongo at the time.  He was younger, on a lower contract too.  The general feeling was that the Canucks didn't get enough in return.  It was a good trade for the Devils.  Unfortunately for them, Schneider had some major injury issues that derailed his career, while the Canucks drafted a player that would work his ass off to overcome his skating deficiencies and become the player that he is today.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Doesn’t Cory have a mental illness, or some serious anxiety issues that caused a lot of his struggles to play well under pressure?  He did well when he was a backup to Loui.  No pressure.  Then in Jersey he did well when they were a poor team.  No pressure.  As the Devils got better Cory got worse.  

I heard that too Alf,   only briefly, never heard much else about it though.

1 hour ago, thundernuts said:

It's true.  Schneider was outplaying Luongo at the time.  He was younger, on a lower contract too.  The general feeling was that the Canucks didn't get enough in return.  It was a good trade for the Devils.  Unfortunately for them, Schneider had some major injury issues that derailed his career, while the Canucks drafted a player that would work his ass off to overcome his skating deficiencies and become the player that he is today.

Much of this information has either been forgotten, or manipulated to reflect how 'good' the trade was. At the time (not hindsight), the trade was awful.

Here's why:

A known quantity in Schneider was the price for an unknown high draft pick that was not #1, 2, or 3 ranked.

A known quantity for an unknown.

Moreover, Horvat apparently had skating issues that could have prevented him from becoming the player he is today. But as you said, Horvat worked his ass off with a skating instructor, so he turned his weakness into a strength.

In hindsight, the trade is lopsided for the Canucks, but this was a massive gamble that the Canucks were lucky to win on. Imagine if Horvat didn't pan out. Schneider would have been gone and our near empty prospect pool would dry up. Yikes.

• Cheers 1

20 hours ago, J-Dizzle said:

I don’t think so. Using a top 10 pick to acquire a goaltender is basically unheard of.

That being said, I do remember feeling like we should have gotten more at the time… I think it was close to a fair deal. 

It's all situational. Put yourself in New Jersey's shoes at the time. Brodeur's career was coming to the end and they had no one to replace him.

So while it's not common for a 9th overall pick to be used on a goalie, most teams aren't usually in such a dire situation that New Jersey was in at the time. It made perfect sense for New Jersey at the time.

As a result of this, New Jersey should have been in a more desperate situation and it could be easily argued that we might have been able to capitalize on that desperation a little more. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure Gillis would have also been in a desperate situation himself given it was his last draft.

Edited by The Lock