The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | Oct. 30th, 2021, 7:00 PM Pacific | CBC | 2021 Halloween Edition

Rate this topic

Roberts

Oilers @ Canucks  

189 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Meh. The CBC guys are always high on Calgary. They will peter out

Watched a couple of their games this year. Sutter has done a good job. Top players look great this year, solid defensively and Marky was lights out.

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

They don’t have enough grit either. They really need some bigger burly wingers who have a bit of toughness. It’s what Benning went after though. He didn’t feel we needed that type of player but we look like a small, weak team on the ice with no fight. 

Team has looked small and weak since vegas. 

Just now, Jack Fig said:

Just the truth .... no idea what to expect from one moment to the next. 

And some still defend the coaching staff.  These players are professionals capable of executing at a high level. For them to look so lost and ineffective as a group has to be down to coaching and a lack of belief in what they are doing. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I still believe that with Hamonic and Motte back we’re only a couple big bottom 6 guys and a new coach away from being a playoff team.

I know it doesn’t look like it right now but I just don’t think the players are buying what the coach is selling anymore.

Agreed @DeNiro

Just have to say I always appreciate your take on things.

A new voice can be huge. Even with our current roster a new voice would be huge and players would buy back in.

I really think Benning has built a great team on paper, and I might get flack for this but I'd like to see him stay and Green go. Yes, it was Bennings call to re-sign Green, but I just can't get over how good our roster is on paper and how we seem to be underperforming so greatly.

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Ya, I know the expectations are so low with this organization after 7 years. Ownership could care less that they wasted 7 years of the same crap.

In an interview he literally said, the goal is to make the playoffs and once you get there anything can happen...lol like wtf kind of loser attitude is that?

How about, the goal is to win a Stanley Cup and be a perennial competitor for years to come.  

Just now, IceHockeyPlayer said:

We are a Demko injury away from finishing last again in division. The way we hang him out to dry, risk of injury is high.

Oh My Gawd this team is so thin. Halak avoided getting dragged through the mud last game with some decent saves later in the game but that opening goal was just plain brutal.

He has zero connection with his Dmen. We need Thatcher to be lights out (sound familiar?) to even have a chance.

I've been feeling like this team needs a coaching change. First time i've felt this way during Travis' tenure but this team looks unmotivated. 

Something has to to change.

We need a good pushback second period here. That first was pretty bad.

1 minute ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Meh. The CBC guys are always high on Calgary. They will peter out

Say what you want but moving the puck out of your own zone masks some defensive liabilities, meanwhile we pass it around in our own zone and either turn it over or ice it.  Their defensive system alone will keep them in the wild card race.

2 minutes ago, viking mama said:

The bubble-play-off-run team no longer exists. Benning began dismantling it at season’s end. I know that cap-matters necessitated most of that, but there was a lot of logged-game-hours together completely lost. 

No but the nostalgia from that run is what clouds people’s minds when they examine this team last year and this year so far. Way more talent this season, and it’s very early, but a valid assessment that can be established is what has changed in Green’s systems since the run…? That is very hard to define and it hasn’t been good any way you slice it.

covid or no covid.

Cohesive team systems don’t need to hide behind excuses.

• Like 1

Just now, DIBdaQUIB said:

And some still defend the coaching staff.  These players are professionals capable of executing at a high level. For them to look so lost and ineffective as a group has to be down to coaching and a lack of belief in what they are doing. 

Yea either they forgot how to play and have lost the Will to win or the coach has lost the room.

Which one seems more likely?

• Cheers 1

Would be nice to have a Gadjovich type forward who could make these Oilers keep their heads up a bit. Is Schenn our only player who can take on Kassian etc.? Oh yes, the call on Myers is just more of the usual bs reffing we get. 
Despite these handicaps the Canucks have a bit of jump individually but where is the team play? Where is the system? So far not in evidence.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

What a novel idea.

Problem is Green only knows how to coach teams with grinders.

This no different than when we tried to bring in Tortorella to coach a team full of skilled players. The coach has to match the team you’ve built. Benning hasn’t seemed to clue into that.

We need a coach like Boudreau who’s used to coaching high pace high scoring offensive teams. That’s the only way this team will have success.

Green burned them out on day 1 of training camp it seems like.

He never managed to win it all but he sure could get teams rolling in the reg season and through a few rounds. I'd take it right now in a heartbeat.