[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Oct. 30, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

35 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Torts:

Will always stand up for his team

Is a true decent human, does a lot of good charity work

However:

a burnt out Torts was not very good for us, so he would need to be refreshed from some time away form his previous coaching gig

iirc he wasn't big on practice

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I don't pretend to be a hockey genius. There are far better hockey minds on here than mine. You yourself likely have a better grasp of systems.  What I see is a game being played tentatively.  Weak puck support in all 3 zones. 

You mention how we play in ot.  3 on 3 play is not structured and does not rely on a system.  Perhaps you are onto something and exposing what is wrong with the nucks.  At 5v5 they are too "managed" and not allowed the creativity 3v3 does. It would explain why they seem so frustrated as a group.  Garland showed great creativity last game and singlehandedly changed the feel of the game.  He didn't see much ice after that and was benched in the last 4 minutes.  The game before,  boeser looked quite energized and at one point made  a lone dash into the o-zone. Afterwards on the bench, green said something to him that made him say something back and shake his head.  Maybe Green is pushing a "system" or style of okay that is not being received well by the players.   It would explain the uninspired play.  

Totally! And maybe that’s the crux…what else can really be done other than let it go and play a run and gun style, potentially wearing out Demko and our limited D corps? It’s a tough one, but I’ve been advocating for that. 

at some point, the F group can no longer be suppressed. I think it’s time mgmt bites the bullet and says, ok, we skip ahead and play the way we intend to when everyone is heathy and do it NOW.

to me, that is a last resort but now a necessity. 

• Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I never want to see this kind of thing again.

hansentorts

Love Torts as a person off the ice.

But poke me in the shoulder like that in public and you will get the slow death stare followed by a not so subtle warning later on in the dressing room. 

19 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I don't pretend to be a hockey genius. There are far better hockey minds on here than mine. You yourself likely have a better grasp of systems.  What I see is a game being played tentatively.  Weak puck support in all 3 zones. 

You mention how we play in ot.  3 on 3 play is not structured and does not rely on a system.  Perhaps you are onto something and exposing what is wrong with the nucks.  At 5v5 they are too "managed" and not allowed the creativity 3v3 does. It would explain why they seem so frustrated as a group.  Garland showed great creativity last game and singlehandedly changed the feel of the game.  He didn't see much ice after that and was benched in the last 4 minutes.  The game before,  boeser looked quite energized and at one point made  a lone dash into the o-zone. Afterwards on the bench, green said something to him that made him say something back and shake his head.  Maybe Green is pushing a "system" or style of play that is not being received well by the players.   It would explain the uninspired play.  

This would explain the PP too(very structured) and explain why he is reluctant to put Garland on the #1PP, despite his production so far.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, gurn said:

Torts:

Will always stand up for his team

Is a true decent human, does a lot of good charity work

However:

a burnt out Torts was not very good for us, so he would need to be refreshed from some time away form his previous coaching gig

iirc he wasn't big on practice

Yeah I don’t think he would be a good fit either.  He was toxic.  But not toxic to his players.  Just to certain media and Bob Hartley lol.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 minute ago, DS4quality said:

I'll never defend Tortz , his refusal to start players protesting racism said enough about his character. 

I dont remember that. But , Booo. 

He likes dogs. That gets him some props from me away from the game. Hate his coaching style.

• Vintage 1

Just now, bishopshodan said:

I dont remember that. But , Booo. 

He likes dogs. That gets him some props from me away from the game. Hate his coaching style.

Yeah I don't think he's the guy for this team, look at how he treated Laine, much like Green with a few players. As soon as he left Columbus started to turn the corner. I couldn't imagine what would happen if he was screaming at his players, it is not effective in getting a message across. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Bang Bang Boogie said:

As much as Green sucks, he ain't going anywhere.  Do you think Aquilini will really fire a guy he just signed to a contract extension?

Real question is: do you really think he can afford not too?  Or maybe the only time he will really care is if fans stop buying tickets to games

• Vintage 1

55 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Totally! And maybe that’s the crux…what else can really be done other than let it go and play a run and gun style, potentially wearing out Demko and our limited D corps? It’s a tough one, but I’ve been advocating for that. 

at some point, the F group can no longer be suppressed. I think it’s time mgmt bites the bullet and says, ok, we skip ahead and play the way we intend to when everyone is heathy and do it NOW.

to me, that is a last resort but now a necessity. 

A commentator once described tiger woods' moody temperament  by saying it looked more like he was giving birth to a round of golf than playing one.  That would describe the Nucks right now.  There is no joy in the game for then and they look like playing is painful. 

Not a good vibe at all.

• Like 1

Yeah it’s definitely hard to watch.

Frustrating to say the least.

One caveat to all the things I have said which is infuriating for me, and likely a strong rationale as to why this team isn’t being led by the right coach, is the anemic power play.  That should be the golden opportunity to see what this team would look like when healthy and the top 6 playing up to snuff. But there is no life or electricity in the PP right now and that’s inexcusable given it’s the opportunity to really command on offense.

I don’t know…it’s all really confusing.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1