The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nashville Predators at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 05, 2021

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, danjr said:

Lets preface this, I am savagely mad.  Decades I have been watching this team.

I really love Petey.  (Swedish heritage)

But someone needs to start chanting Louie Louie everytime he steps on the ice.  If that doesn't light a fire under his ass, ........I just don't know what to think.

Savagely mad?  I'm frustrated but not mad.   Swedish?  Who cares where he's from.   I don't.   Decades as in two? Or three! Or four?   Our best players for a long time, we're not from Sweden.  They were Canadian or Russian. 

• Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, nergish said:

I'm not in full panic mode because there are still some positives with this group, but it's definitely hard to believe that we have a losing record when:

- Demko is playing like a top 10, possibly top 5 goaltender in the league

- OEL has been significantly better than advertised, and is actually a very smooth, smart defender with good instincts at both ends of the ice

- After showing an ability to get under other teams' skin, Garland is now also our leading offensive player and seems to be gaining confidence in the offensive zone (spin moves galore!)
- Tucker Poolman looks like the first good find by our pro-scouting group. The guy is a big, heavy, right-shot defender than can get around the ice pretty well.

- Tyler Myers is playing some of his best hockey as a Canuck

I still think this is a good team on paper, but if Petey doesn't get going we don't have a chance in hell. Team chemistry is obviously way off, but is it irrevocable? 

Off hand I can remember Horvat with 2 golden opportunities and BB with one. The overall game is improving for the group. I am not seeing as much confusion in the d-zone as when they were on the road. I liked that Green gave Hogs more ice in the 3rd as well as Podz. They were both having solid games. If Podz had scored on his best chance the CDC crew would be singing a different tune. Garland's edge work is fun to watch and I notice Miller is doing more of the same. I have less confidence in Pearson playing top 6. More inclined to see BB there. I would sit Chiasson as it appears the game has got to fast for him. 

I went into this season hoping the team would make playoffs so they could get more pressure games to develop their game. Even with the acquisitions of summer I didn't consider this a serious playoff team. That said OEL and Garland have impressed. Hogs and Podz are solid most nights. The d-side has tightened up, yes Demko gets a lot of credit but the defense has improved. Hughes is playing a better d-side game. The issue with the Canucks lies with the top 6. Another goal a game and fans aren't as unhappy because they would likely have another 6 points in the standings. Green has mixed lines up but that is what a coach should do to generate scoring ops.

Playing hockey in a town like Vancouver would be a stressful exercise. IMO the pre and post game encounters with the press should be optional for the players. The questions are often repetitious and tedious. Some fans have to develop a new attitude as well as some of the players. Get 20-25 games in before you look at the coaching. Fire Green now and that will be used a a scapegoat for poor play on the ice. Let these kids suffer for awhile, it will make them better players over the long haul.     

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Should you really go into a season without top notch penalty killers? Jason Dickenson has not been known to be a top penalty killer and he’s bad at faceoffs so I don’t really know why you through him in there and if your hoping players learn to be penalty killers your in big trouble.

Jason Dickenson was brought in as a third line DEFENSIVE centre. Why would you say that?

Just now, grandmaster said:

Jason Dickenson was brought in as a third line DEFENSIVE centre. Why would you say that?

JBs mistake was thinking he was a better C than a wing. 

He’s played a lot more up and down the lineup in Dallas at wing. 

If Stromer is available he might be a better option as a scoring 3rd C

33 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Savagely mad?  I'm frustrated but not mad.   Swedish?  Who cares where he's from.   I don't.   Decades as in two? Or three! Or four?   Our best players for a long time, we're not from Sweden.  They were Canadian or Russian. 

out best players for a long time we're not from Sweden ? Really? Näslund, Edler, Hank Sedin, Danny Sedin... some of the Canadian players like Burrows can't match this swedish group.... O.K. anyways - respect your opinion which differs from my opinion.

12 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

JBs mistake was thinking he was a better C than a wing. 

He’s played a lot more up and down the lineup in Dallas at wing. 

If Stromer is available he might be a better option as a scoring 3rd C

Agreed.

I always had Dickinson penciled in as a third or fourth line winger with Miller being the third line center. 

This is really highlighting our lack of center depth though. We could definitely use a more offensive minded center. Don’t think we could squeeze Strome in though.

Miller Pettersson Garland

Hoglander Horvat Boeser

Podkolzin XXX Dickinson

Bailey Lammikko Motte

52 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ok.   Is anyone getting frustrated yet!   I'm getting frustrated.   Like f!ck!   We keep losing one goal games.   That's better then getting blown out, our start last season was actual trash plus plus plus plus.   Ugh.   Green last night, put the Lotto line out after breaking them up for the last 30 seconds.   It worked!   I listened to the first period on the radio and went to bed thinking - man we've got this (and watched Brock Boeser's goal (waited up to see it posted) .. it was a great goal!)... then woke up and saw the score.   Argggh.   Keep saying we need a bigger sample size.   Still 15-20 games for me.    Yes we are .500 in November too.   But i'm starting to worry too.   

How long before you understand my point about players have to deal with a GM they don’t trust or believe in?

Benning had no problems paying high dollar for bottom six when we’re struggling. 
But now he lowballing players that had a lot of respect from the players still playing here.

Or that Petey had to go through the $&!# one of his pals went through because Benning was an äss.

Psychology is a bitch and at top level a GM like Benning can take away a couple percent of the players capacity.

That is a lot at this level and the main reason Benning should leave and let a new GM get a fresh start. 

• Wat 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

43 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Lol.   Think about it for a minute (and i agree TG was given crap for PK to start the year).    Our left side was OEL, QHs and Rathbone.   Even if OEL wasn't just on the ice (good chance he was!) OR even worse, he's the guy who took the penalty ... who's TG got to put our on the second unit?   Found out the very first game ... it was Rathbone who went out.    Your bottom pairing and bottom six guys have to be capable of taking this role on.   No surprise Rathbone was put down into the AHL again.   Who's fault is it?  I don't really know.  TG and JB really (OJ killed penalties at least!).   Our left side was a team strength that now isn't so strong.   Burroughs did fine considering (yes i know right side).   

All this said now Hamonic is back i'm willing to wait another five games before bringing out a pitchfork like a lot of CDCers already have.    I'm happy with the overall effort.   The results not really. And EP ... f!ck dude do something already. 

On the PK - since Hamonic is back, it would be a good idea to get (brain fart) Myers off the PK

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

And hire who, Chirelli and Babcock?  :lol:

I wasn't aware that those two were the only ones available?

If you're looking for a GM, you have Gorton, McFarland, or Tulsky. On the coaching end, you have Boudreau, Julien and Quinn. Any combination of these guys would be lightyears ahead of what we currently have.

I've excused and defended Jim and Travis far more than most (HFCanuckers have called me a "Benning Bro" on more than one occasion). But enough is enough. This group has had their chance and we can keep falling short year after year.

Well, one thing that makes me feel a bit better is knowing Canucks still have their first round pick. I think my brain had mixed up the first rounders in the Miller and Arizona trades and I'd thought it was this year's pick they'd given up. That and I guess I may have gotten a bit used to us missing draft picks? So at least absolute worst case scenario still can look forward to us losing the draft lottery.

37 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

out best players for a long time we're not from Sweden ? Really? Näslund, Edler, Hank Sedin, Danny Sedin... some of the Canadian players like Burrows can't match this swedish group.... O.K. anyways - respect your opinion which differs from my opinion.

Ok.  Well i guess your "decades" don't match up with my "decades".   Personally i'm getting tired of our "best players" not being Canadian.   Right now our core is mostly North American.    Decades plural as in what?  2?  Lol.  Ok. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Off hand I can remember Horvat with 2 golden opportunities and BB with one. The overall game is improving for the group. I am not seeing as much confusion in the d-zone as when they were on the road. I liked that Green gave Hogs more ice in the 3rd as well as Podz. They were both having solid games. If Podz had scored on his best chance the CDC crew would be singing a different tune. Garland's edge work is fun to watch and I notice Miller is doing more of the same. I have less confidence in Pearson playing top 6. More inclined to see BB there. I would sit Chiasson as it appears the game has got to fast for him. 

I went into this season hoping the team would make playoffs so they could get more pressure games to develop their game. Even with the acquisitions of summer I didn't consider this a serious playoff team. That said OEL and Garland have impressed. Hogs and Podz are solid most nights. The d-side has tightened up, yes Demko gets a lot of credit but the defense has improved. Hughes is playing a better d-side game. The issue with the Canucks lies with the top 6. Another goal a game and fans aren't as unhappy because they would likely have another 6 points in the standings. Green has mixed lines up but that is what a coach should do to generate scoring ops.

Playing hockey in a town like Vancouver would be a stressful exercise. IMO the pre and post game encounters with the press should be optional for the players. The questions are often repetitious and tedious. Some fans have to develop a new attitude as well as some of the players. Get 20-25 games in before you look at the coaching. Fire Green now and that will be used a a scapegoat for poor play on the ice. Let these kids suffer for awhile, it will make them better players over the long haul.     

You are pretty patient after 8 years of mediocre hockey. Boeser is already in his prime years. Horvat's play may start to decline in 3-4 years. These aren't kids anymore in the NHL world. A mini dynasty of young talented stars and winning 1-2 cups together with this group like Penguins, Blackhawks? Not seeing it. 

27 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

On the PK - since Hamonic is back, it would be a good idea to get (brain fart) Myers off the PK

Sure.  Last year Myers was used as much as Edler was on the PK,  Hamonic wasn't.   But if your one of the Myers haters then fill your boots.   Hamonic was way down the list ... minutes wise. 

36 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

How long before you understand my point about players have to deal with a GM they don’t trust or believe in?

Benning had no problems paying high dollar for bottom six when we’re struggling. 
But now he lowballing players that had a lot of respect from the players still playing here.

Or that Petey had to go through the $&!# one of his pals went through because Benning was an äss.

Psychology is a bitch and at top level a GM like Benning can take away a couple percent of the players capacity.

That is a lot at this level and the main reason Benning should leave and let a new GM get a fresh start. 

Timra ... i'm not even sure how to respond to this.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Drakrami said:

You are pretty patient after 8 years of mediocre hockey. Boeser is already in his prime years. Horvat's play may start to decline in 3-4 years. These aren't kids anymore in the NHL world. A mini dynasty of young talented stars and winning 1-2 cups together with this group like Penguins, Blackhawks? Not seeing it. 

BB turns 25 in Feb. Garland, Bo, Miller are all older.  On defence only Hughes is young.

My concern is we follow the oilers path where one core was aged out and they had to start building around another core… keeping in mind that we will probably never win a generational player like they did to build the second core around. 

The window is now for this group, they really can’t sputter around for another couple years. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1