The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Hypothetical] Who should replace Travis Green?

Rate this topic

Ilya Mikheyev

Who should replace Green as coach?  

203 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd try Randy Carlyle to finish the season. Won a cup before. A few quarterfinal appearances. 

He's played against us A LOT. Knows our division. Knows our culture. He knew how to play us. He'd cut to the chase. If he doesn't gibe with our locker room we can find someone else in the off season. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I'd try Randy Carlyle to finish the season. Won a cup before. A few quarterfinal appearances. 

He's played against us A LOT. Knows our division. Knows our culture. He knew how to play us. He'd cut to the chase. If he doesn't gibe with our locker room we can find someone else in the off season. 

I think there's a few guys like this that would love to be back in the game. RC, Julien, BB, we should have choices.

• Cheers 2

59 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

We need someone that walks into a room and their sheer presence commands respect.   We need another pat quinn.

Yup. 

I don't think one of that stature is available, if there even is one.  But get closer to that with paying, and hiring, an experienced coach. One that players know their history, and respect them even before they even meet him.

Only exception might be to go off the rails and hire someone like a Sam Hallam out of Vaxjo in the Swedish league, as has been mentioned.

The head coach's job is more than x's and o's. It is about managing personalities.  Having experience in how to handle different types for different situations. And have that respect that he knows what he's doing, partly based on past success.  I don't think they know what to expect from Green.  One small example is that the opening lines usually last about 5 minutes before he turns on the blender. You wonder how seriously they take practising if they know there's a good chance they'll only play with the same structure for the first five.

I don't think we should be quick to sign someone this season though.  Promote Shaw as interim coach until the end of the season...unless a good choice suddenly becomes available before that.  That way, we will see if its coaching, or mostly the mix of players that won't work. If we suck all year, then we gotta first get a new GM. Who will then hire the next coach. 

I lost my faith in JB making smart decisions long ago.  No way I want him signing someone he views as the right coach for a multi year contract, that any new GM will have to live with.  In fact it might dissuade a good candidate from accepting the job.

Randy Carlyle would be good for coach but Canucks need a better manager as well. Too bad Craig McTavish is with a Swiss team as he would be another good choice for coach. Who ever gets the job after Green will have a lot of work to do. Maybe Aquilini will sell the team and then the whole shebang can be changed.

On 11/13/2021 at 1:24 AM, khay said:

Honestly, not a huge fan either and he is a bit old, might be outdated as a coach.

And big no to Julien. JB hiring him will be the end of my support for JB. Julien couldn't coach Habs, the next coaching staff that took over took them to the cup final.

We should've let Green go in the offseason and find a suitable replacement during the offseason.

Now, the best option is probably Brad Shaw? I don't think he has head coaching experience. 

Maybe Gronberg? This article says the Sedins are big time supporters of the guy (https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/31421880/the-top-rising-candidates-nhl-coach-gm-jobs).

I don’t think coaching was the issue in Montreal. But I do agree with you that Claude didn’t create a big change in Montreal the way we would hope for from a new coach here though. 

and their year last year was an anomaly in my opinion.

I don’t know what the answer is I really don’t. 

But I do know Green is going to be getting let go soon.

the results just aren’t there. The only thing this squad has going for it was the bubble run we had but even that..

if the season wasn’t cut short there’s an arguement to be made that we were unraveling and if the break came any later we could have missed the playoffs altogether.

combine that with stellar goaltending and a few strong performances we went on a little fairy tail run.

I just don’t know if it’s leadership, culture, coaching, the players aren’t in their right roles, or roster design.. or all of the above.

but a change has to be made soon if this continues. Because the team in general can’t normalize losing like we are.

• Thanks 1

Back in their day as the 86ers the Whitecaps had one of their players (Lenarduzzi?) as both player and coach.

Maybe get Petey to be head coach...see if it helps his game to coach himself? Miller to draw up some systems? Garland to be assistant coach in charge of spin-o-ramas in the corner? Motte is back - if not full on head coach, he could be official coach of pre-game pump-ups. Lots of possibilities here.

5 hours ago, We Are All Cucks said:

Back in their day as the 86ers the Whitecaps had one of their players (Lenarduzzi?) as both player and coach.

Maybe get Petey to be head coach...see if it helps his game to coach himself? Miller to draw up some systems? Garland to be assistant coach in charge of spin-o-ramas in the corner? Motte is back - if not full on head coach, he could be official coach of pre-game pump-ups. Lots of possibilities here.

Can't be any worse than what we've going on now.  At least we'd remove the locker room cancer of Green and his assistants.

I'll take whichever coach is an offense first coach. At least it should help with our scoring woes and make the team watchable even if we lose. I mean I don't see any ways of fixing the pk with the personnel we have on the roster IF Sutter ever comes back soon it'll help. We can only fix 1 thing at a time. So let's just get whoever is a good offensive coach and fix the ep boeser and whoever else struggle and deal with the rest in the off season 

this team is definitely not ready for another coach with literally no head coaching experience aka brad shaw.. he has what? 40 games in 20+ years? you'd think he would have been a head coach somewhere along the line if he has what it needs to be a head coach in the NHL? he's a career assistant coach in the NHL and probably should keep it that way.