The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

FIRE Jim Benning & Travis Green Thread

Rate this topic

Sanford

5 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

It shows what a crapshoot the game of GM'ing is. Chiatelli has shown high level incompetence despite having a cup.

Rutherford has enough hype that someone might just sign him so he can shred his own legacy just like Chiarelli did. I just hope that team isn't ours. Incompetent people climb to high places all the time.

Chiarelli benefitted greatly from the interim GM before him who traded up to draft Marchand, swindled Toronto for Rask, and signed Horton and Chara as UFA.

Namely the guy I wanted the Canucks to get. His name is Jeff Gorton. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

It shows what a crapshoot the game of GM'ing is. Chiatelli has shown high level incompetence despite having a cup.

Rutherford has enough hype that someone might just sign him so he can shred his own legacy just like Chiarelli did. I just hope that team isn't ours. Incompetent people climb to high places all the time.

Rutherford is past his due date but you can't just dismiss his record of winning *TWO* Cups as the GM of *TWO* different teams.  Was it all luck?  Who cares.  In the end, it's results that matter.  One cup, you can chalk it up to a 'fluke'.  Not two imho.

Napoleon, when asking about a General, he didn't ask whether he was any good but rather was he lucky?

7 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Ya just ask Benning, Weisbrod, Green, and Baumgartner.

:bigblush:

8 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

We had Tanev under contract when LE was here. I think JB thought some combination of Myers and Hamonic would have been better than Tanev and Edler. Yes, he was wrong.

I just meant that as far as cap space goes, if you are spending it in free agency, there is hardly ever value out there. The shortage of good players is a bigger issue for GM's than shortage of cap space. This is why players simply get overpaid in free agency.

Free agency is the opiate for bad teams that are incapable of drafting and development. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Yep. But the smart organizations generally stay away from incompetence. 

Look at how Montreal is handling things.

They go out and hire a POHO who then communicates to the fans their plans. What a novel idea…

Now their fans know, okay we’re hiring a new GM after Christmas and the coach is coaching the rest of the season. Now we don’t have to sit here guessing and speculating and thinking that the organization has zero plan.

• Cheers 3

The Kings are a team that embraced a rebuild in the midst of a bad 2018-19 season despite making the playoffs in the previous year. They committed to acquiring picks at the top of the draft, selecting 14 players in the first three rounds of the draft over the past three years. They look like a team poised to come out of their rebuild potentially this season, but certainly in the seasons that follow.

oh so acquiring  draft picks and building through the draft works (shocking) quicker than toiling away with (refool) veterans and  throwing away picks and using lame excuse and garbage catch phrases”age gap” “turn it around quickly” “ window to win” “stay comparative””foundational””winning environment” 

most including linden saw the path FA JB were taking and knew it was a dead end. 
that would lead to failure. 

#firebenning 

Edited by combover
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Look at how Montreal is handling things.

They go out and hire a POHO who then communicates to the fans their plans. What a novel idea…

Now their fans know, okay we’re hiring a new GM after Christmas and the coach is coaching the rest of the season. Now we don’t have to sit here guessing and speculating and thinking that the organization has zero plan.

Clean house 

start fresh from the top down. 
it’s what needs to happen here. 

23 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Nonis was actually fine, but he didn't come from a hockey background and mostly just kept things going from the Burke era.

Perhaps this could be true, but perhaps not as well. I don't think this is something we can truly answer. Sure, Nonis learned from Burke, but perhaps he also had his own ideas and not just "Burke ideas". *shrug*

I also think to come up with a solid answer one way or another would be to implement one's own bias into it.

Edited by The Lock

10 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Perhaps this could be true, but perhaps not as well. I don't think this is something we can truly answer. Sure, Nonis learned from Burke, but perhaps he also had his own ideas and not just "Burke ideas". *shrug*

I also think to come up with a solid answer one way or another would be to implement one's own bias into it.

Nonis came out of the NCAA and worked his way up through the ranks, he's no schmuk IMO. Smart man too boot. Burke if on no other reason than aquring both Sedins in the draft, but I think his style is outdated in todays game. A good eye but some times impulsive and retro in his hockey beliefs

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Nonis came out of the NCAA and worked his way up through the ranks, he's no schmuk IMO. Smart man too boot. Burke if on no other reason than aquring both Sedins in the draft, but I think his style is outdated in todays game. A good eye but some times impulsive and retro in his hockey beliefs

You're saying you'd hire Nonis before Burke? Haha. Make a poll. 

6 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

You're saying you'd hire Nonis before Burke? Haha. Make a poll. 

Burke knows jack**** about getting goalies but since we already have a legit Vezina candidate already that shouldn't be a problem if Burke was a GM here again.  Nonis traded for a legit starting goalie (likely HHOFer) and drafted a goalie that put up a Vezina type of season(s) in the NHL.

Where Nonis failed (badly) was professional scouting in his trades.  Wasted tons of picks of garbage rentals.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

3 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Burke knows jack**** about getting goalies but since we already have a legit Vezina candidate already that shouldn't be a problem if Burke was a GM here again.  Nonis traded for a legit starting goalie (likely HHOFer) and drafted a goalie that put up a Vezina type of season(s) in the NHL.

Where Nonis failed (badly) was professional scouting in his trades.  Wasted tons of picks of garbage rentals.

I'm not putting Nonis completely down, but I would rather have Burke in charge. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1