The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Tampa Bay won two cups in a row after trading him (granted, that's more of a case of just how deep that team was).

Miller didn’t have the opportunity to flourish in TBay. He grew here. TBay had no idea what they had in him.

Just now, JM_ said:

might be the next hardest piece to find after a 1RHD. A highly effective 3C that comes on the market is a unicorn. 

Sutter was fairly good at it (once Willie woke up lol) but unfortunately his accumulated injuries (and COVID) took it's toll on his body.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Remind, who did Calgary just trade, and what did they get for him?

Then tell me again how you can't replace Miller.

what if Hubie flops in Cowtown?

You seem to want a perfect seam here, no overpayment, no futures moved, and somehow the perfect guy lands in our lap as a UFA.

We have a guy now that wants to be here, why not pay him? 

Just now, gurn said:

Why are you trading Miller and throwing in futures?

you are, you're saying we can just go out and get a replacement. Well, thats going to cost us in trade, or is someone going to give us a Miller for free?

1 minute ago, gurn said:

No, it doesn't, it helps the now, not the future.

The year after Miller leaves for nothing- the team will be worse.

I would disagree with that.

Making the playoffs is helping build for the future. Our core players need playoff experience if they’re ever going to contend.

This idea that we’re just going to become contenders all of a sudden is false. It takes a few playoff failures before that can happen. If Miller can be a part of that process then it’s well worth it.

We would probably take a step back but we could also replace him with the cap space opened up and some development of our younger players.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Remind, who did Calgary just trade, and what did they get for him?

Then tell me again how you can't replace Miller.

You can flame away but I think Miller is more valuable to a team (especially ours) than Tkachuck or Huberdeau. 

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Why are you assuming that's the case?

Looking at what similar guys have got as just rentals at TDL's, anyone could see that a late first is never the best piece.

Feels like you're attempting to build a narrative there...

Didn’t a 34 year old Claude Giroux get traded for a 1st, a 3rd and a prospect (former top 10 pick) at last year’s deadline?

Not sure why some would think we are only getting a late 1st for Miller. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, JM_ said:

so you put no value on playoff experience then?

Not if it's a single appearance vs getting multiple reps and a more sustained window thanks to the assets he brings back.

We ain't contenders, making the playoffs next season does nothing for me if he walks. Not if it negatively impacts our ability to consistently make the playoffs.

Not interested in blowing our load for a playoff appearance that almost certainly won't result in a cup.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Didn’t a 34 year old Claude Giroux get traded for a 1st, a 3rd and a prospect (former top 10 pick) at last year’s deadline?

And what gives you confidence, if we are in the playoff mix come the 2023 TDL, that our owner will allow a Miller Trade?  No step back, right?  

Just now, JM_ said:

what if Hubie flops in Cowtown?

You seem to want a perfect seam here, no overpayment, no futures moved, and somehow the perfect guy lands in our lap as a UFA.

We have a guy now that wants to be here, why not pay him? 

What if a meteor hits the Saddledome during pratice and they all die.

What if that plane had hit a school full of kids, or worse a bunny fuarm?

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

2024 1st round pick to be fair.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I disagree, you can see the frustration in Bo in the annual year end, missed the playoffs again, media availability. Why the heck would Bo re-sign here, knowing mgmt wasn't doing all it could to keep moving the team forward.

Step back is fine for fantasy hockey, but I doubt it sits well with players. 

Or the players see that management took a very valuable asset from a position of strength and a player that has almost 0% chance of being here next season due to the cap and then used that to fill the massive hole on the right side.

They would see that they still have one of the best 1-2 punches at center in the NHL with Petey and Bo. If Petey was 5% better at faceoffs he would be in discussion as one of the best centers in the league, especially after fully healing and finding his confidence again in the 2nd half of last season and Bo is an elite 2C on any team. 

They would also see that they no longer have to play a full run and gun style of hockey where they have to try and outscore their problems on D or have Demmer bail them out. They would have a legit top NHL pairing or at least a higher skill player to help prevent the other team from scoring, it also means they see they don't have to roll out one of Myers, Schenn or Poolman at all times on the right side.

They will see a management group that is actually trying to make the team better and deeper instead of forcing them to play a 60 minute sprint to the most goals in order to win.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Not if it's a single appearance vs getting multiple reps and a more sustained window thanks to the assets he brings back.

which so far haven't moved the needle for JR/PA. And thats also a risk, what if those assets don't work out? whats the timeline? lots of questions on that path too. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

We ain't contenders, making the playoffs next season does nothing for me if he walks. Not if it negatively impacts our ability to consistently make the playoffs.

Not interested in blowing our load for a playoff appearance that almost certainly won't result in a cup.

thats a high bar considering 31 teams don't do that every year. 

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

lol...I'd trade EVERYONE off the roster if it meant a guarantee'd Stanley Cup win (just ONE).

What I’m saying is that they would have unloaded another player whom they would have thought as being expendable