The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

If the Rangers or any other team want Miller they need to offer up their best RD prospect. If they don’t want to then they can consider Boeser or Garland. You don’t get a top line player for your 2nd tier prospects even if you package a few of them together (quality is greater than quantity) end of story.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, rekker said:

Exactly. I don't see much value in Kravtsov. HockeyDB him. There are nothing in those numbers, in the leugues he's played in, that impresses me. Ya, it's just Hockey DB, but it's somewhat of an indicator. 

I'd certainly take him as a throw in favour to the rags.  He's only 22 and could end up being an impact player still.  

Obviously Schneider is the guy we all want, but if it gets to the wire and the best offer is lundqvist, chytil, kravs and a first for Miller (and maybe a c+ prospect) they should seriously consider it because it's probably better than what they'll get at next year's deadline.

Lundqvist is going to be a solid top 3 dman and, aside from size, probably isn't too far removed from schneider.  In fact, he's probably a better puck handler and pick mover.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If you have a highly sought after asset, it may be advantageous to let others believe you have no interest in moving said asset thereby motivating interested parties to come forward with enticing offers.  Similar to leaking 'competing offers' nonsense in order to motivate interested parties.

I think you have to dangle him in order to start a bidding war.  Otherwise people won't waste their time trying to pry him.  I still think we're crazy to be offering him though.  

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

I love how JR is just like. Look guys Jim Benning built a good team since I got here we are W14 L6 and OTL4 I don't have to do a damn thing we're winning. Thanks Jimbo too bad you didn't fire Green when you had the chance. Aqua made the change that was needed before I even got here. 

Light's cigar leans back puts feet up on Jet Blacks desk. 

CDC shower's JR with praise.  

Nah.  
He had to build the front office.  
Then they had to get their plans figured out.  
I’m pretty damn confident the changes are coming.  
This team sucks and there is no hiding it.  
Miller and Demko might be stealing games now, but that’s pretty well the only reason we have won as much as we have. 
There is a TON of work to be done to this roster

1 minute ago, D.B Cooper said:

Nah.  
He had to build the front office.  
Then they had to get their plans figured out.  
I’m pretty damn confident the changes are coming.  
This team sucks and there is no hiding it.  
Miller and Demko might be stealing games now, but that’s pretty well the only reason we have won as much as we have. 
There is a TON of work to be done to this roster

woosh!

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I don't know much about Kravstov, but I'd rather have Schneider if you're going to want Miller. 

I think Kravstov will be an awesome player.  The Rangers fans aren't expecting him to come back.  Sounds like he went off in a huff because the team wanted him to play on their farm team.  So, take it for what it is...

11 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I think Kravstov will be an awesome player.  The Rangers fans aren't expecting him to come back.  Sounds like he went off in a huff because the team wanted him to play on their farm team.  So, take it for what it is...

See if I can google his stats…

42 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'd certainly take him as a throw in favour to the rags.  He's only 22 and could end up being an impact player still.  

Obviously Schneider is the guy we all want, but if it gets to the wire and the best offer is lundqvist, chytil, kravs and a first for Miller (and maybe a c+ prospect) they should seriously consider it because it's probably better than what they'll get at next year's deadline.

Lundqvist is going to be a solid top 3 dman and, aside from size, probably isn't too far removed from schneider.  In fact, he's probably a better puck handler and pick mover.

I get what your saying. In the end, I just don't know enough about the players. I am gulity of zeroing in on Schneider for sure. From fan reports, size, pedigree, Sask boy, right side. I have never seen Schneider play either, just reading up on him. In the end, just have to hope the scouting staff has the ability to project the development of said players.

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

how so? 

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

If you have a highly sought after asset, it may be advantageous to let others believe you have no interest in moving said asset thereby motivating interested parties to come forward with enticing offers.  Similar to leaking 'competing offers' nonsense in order to motivate interested parties.

Exactly. Scarcity equals value. Simple supply and demand principles.

"He may not be available" = scarcity.

2 hours ago, AlexBurrows14Yu said:

Why do people want laffriere for miller!? He has the same amount of games as hoglander but hoggy has been more productive by 10 assists. Alexis is first overall and hoggy is seocond rounder.. if we trade miller it has to be someone who we know for sure can contribute offensively or else we won’t be contender for a very long time and it will just be step back… like JT has to stay for the Canucks to be competitive. He is the only one who is consistently producing despite of Green. Without him we won’t score more than one goal a game… you have to replace that offense if we are to trade him. I hope to god we don’t trade Miller. You think Canucks are boring to watch? It was a snooze fest when he was away cuz we can’t get any offense without him. Trade Petey if anyone, while he is on a hot streak!

coz hoglander played in a top 6 role? and lafreniere played in a bottom 6 role with limited mins? playing with goodrow and gauthier or rooney and mckegg? yet his goals per 60 is on par with top 6 forwards in the league? it doesn't even matter if you keep miller trade ep trade boeser or trade whomever else.. no trade is going to make the canucks immediately better.. trading away EP or Boeser and getting picks and prospect back.. is that going to make Miller oh ya this team is better than it was before i should definitely sign here? the picks and prospect probably will take 3-4 years before it'll make any impact... regardless of who we trade.. it's going to make the team immediately a lot worse than it was before for couple seasons until those picks/prospect makes an impact.

15 minutes ago, rekker said:

I get what your saying. In the end, I just don't know enough about the players. I am gulity of zeroing in on Schneider for sure. From fan reports, size, pedigree, Sask boy, right side. I have never seen Schneider play either, just reading up on him. In the end, just have to hope the scouting staff has the ability to project the development of said players.

No argument here, I started with Schneider, chytil and a 1st a couple of months ago.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, AlexBurrows14Yu said:

Why do people want laffriere for miller!? He has the same amount of games as hoglander but hoggy has been more productive by 10 assists. Alexis is first overall and hoggy is seocond rounder.. if we trade miller it has to be someone who we know for sure can contribute offensively or else we won’t be contender for a very long time and it will just be step back… like JT has to stay for the Canucks to be competitive. He is the only one who is consistently producing despite of Green. Without him we won’t score more than one goal a game… you have to replace that offense if we are to trade him. I hope to god we don’t trade Miller. You think Canucks are boring to watch? It was a snooze fest when he was away cuz we can’t get any offense without him. Trade Petey if anyone, while he is on a hot streak!

Strongly agree.

I’m so against this terrible trade Miller movement. This team will be garbage with him gone. Prospect/picks are also not a guarantee. They can go bust and or take years to develop. 

Miller is a top 6 versatile player who is on the first line in more than half the teams in the NHL.

If we have to trade him, I say this is fair:

- current top 2D 

or

- top 4D + a first 

or 

- top 4D + a bottom 6 forward plus a second

or 

- top 4D + former first top prospect and a second 

In every scenario above, we get an immediate impact player to address our defensive shortcomings  + somethings else

Edited by grandmaster
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

That is the grip with trading for Lundqvist. 

Having him will equal to us fielding a defense made up of smurfs. 

Either give us Schneider or be prepared to give multiple first round picks (assuming Laf and Kako are untouchables).

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

That is the grip with trading for Lundqvist. 

Having him will equal to us fielding a defense made up of smurfs. 

Either give us Schneider or be prepared to give multiple first round picks (assuming Laf and Kako are untouchables).

He's 5'11 and about 190lbs, not like he's a Garland or anything.  Like or not, size is less and less a factor in the NHL.

For those who are against trading Miller, you have to ask yourself, is the team better with Miller on it?  Yes.  But, are we going to win anything substantial while he's here with no changes?  No.  So, at that point, you have to look at it this way, can I draft/sign UFA's to make up for that while Miller is still here, and keep him relatively cost controlled?  Probably not.  So, at that point, you have to really look at whom you're willing to let go, and who you deem necessary for the next iteration of this team.  Miller, Horvat, Garland, Boesser, Myers, OEL, the plethora of 7th d that we have, Hamonic, Pearson all have to be up in the air, don't they?  Petterson, Hughes, Demko are the backbone of what you want to have of the team going forward.  Now, identify the intriguing pieces you have in your stable, which is Rathbone, Hoglander, and Podkohlzin.  Pods might move the needle, and Hoglander looks like a middle six winger.  Rathbone could possibly be a top 4 defenseman, but he's not going to be top pairing.  So, we need for sure going forward, some  top 6 wingers, a top 6 center, 3rd line centre, two top 4 defensemen, and a backup goalie.  Soon as you can fix all of that, you're in the running for contending.

Now, if you can trade Miller for a package like Schneider/Lafreniere, a first, and another player and a prospect, you have 4 assets for 1, 2 of those pieces could definitely impact for a longer time period than Miller, and possibly for a better interim price tag.  Then you move down the line, and you recognize who you can trade for futures, who can go on a 1 for 1 trade, and whom you're going to have on hand to just let walk at a future date.

I personally think we have the basis for the notion of a 'retool', as long as we make sure we are also supplementing our draft picks, choosing wisely, and developing way better than we ever have.  But you flub this, you're in for pain.....so much pain.

• Upvote 1