The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

16 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'm not really entirely sure why NYR would want Miller so much when their top line is pretty much locked with Zibanejad and then Strome's been playing decently as a 2nd line center. Grabbing Miller (a PPG center) would pretty much push Strome back to 3rd line center and Boodrow to 4C (who has over 20 points), or they could play Miller on the 2nd line wing, but boy they'd be stacked.

I'm not sure but Ryan Nugent-Hopkins may be a cheaper alternative. There's got to be a trade to be made around RNH and Georgiev (although he's been pretty average of late too).

The longer this goes on the more I doubt we see a Miller for Schneider-type trade.

Yeah. But that’s not our loss. Management can always explore about trading Miller in the summer, and this would depend on what he’s asking for since the team can sign him at that time. I think there will be just as many suitors for Miller as this trade deadline. 

A part of me feels like Drury is just sitting in his office. He knows he’s got a good team, so on his end, he doesn’t feel pressure to make any deals either for his team. If he can get Miller for cheap, than that’s the only time he’ll deal. But he’s probably not going to cave. This feels like a game of chicken to me. Who’s going to snap first? Allvin or Drury?

Drury’s not under pressure to make a deal either. Unless, of course, the team goes on a prolonged losing streak, which I hope they do. 

I’m glad it is rumoured that Colorado and Carolina are in talks with us regarding our players. I know it’s a pipe dream, but if we can somehow get Necas or Newhook out of one of those teams I’d be confident of the new management. They keep talking about a plan and it’s to build around speed and skill, and I’ve heard of this before only it never happened. 
We should be doing everything to try and acquire one of these players even if it requires adding picks to some of the rumoured players on the block. Taking back bad cap could also be an option assuming a big contract is on the way out. 

These, along with Schneider on the Rangers should be our top 3 targets to help rebuild the identity of the team. 

20 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

I’m glad it is rumoured that Colorado and Carolina are in talks with us regarding our players. I know it’s a pipe dream, but if we can somehow get Necas or Newhook out of one of those teams I’d be confident of the new management. They keep talking about a plan and it’s to build around speed and skill, and I’ve heard of this before only it never happened. 
We should be doing everything to try and acquire one of these players even if it requires adding picks to some of the rumoured players on the block. Taking back bad cap could also be an option assuming a big contract is on the way out. 

These, along with Schneider on the Rangers should be our top 3 targets to help rebuild the identity of the team. 

There are lots of possibilities for sure. 

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'm not really entirely sure why NYR would want Miller so much when their top line is pretty much locked with Zibanejad and then Strome's been playing decently as a 2nd line center. Grabbing Miller (a PPG center) would pretty much push Strome back to 3rd line center and Boodrow to 4C (who has over 20 points), or they could play Miller on the 2nd line wing, but boy they'd be stacked.

I'm not sure but Ryan Nugent-Hopkins may be a cheaper alternative. There's got to be a trade to be made around RNH and Georgiev (although he's been pretty average of late too).

The longer this goes on the more I doubt we see a Miller for Schneider-type trade.

Because it's going to be very very tough to get out of the east and adding Miller goes a looooong way to getting there.  It also prevents one of the top teams from getting Miller and making it even tougher to get out of the East.  They've got the cap space and assets to do, so why wouldn't they?

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

From what I've read, they plan to use him on 1RW. But have him in their pocket to play C with injuries, and also as insurance if they can't re-sign Strome/prefer Miller.

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. But that’s not our loss. Management can always explore about trading Miller in the summer, and this would depend on what he’s asking for since the team can sign him at that time. I think there will be just as many suitors for Miller as this trade deadline. 

A part of me feels like Drury is just sitting in his office. He knows he’s got a good team, so on his end, he doesn’t feel pressure to make any deals either for his team. If he can get Miller for cheap, than that’s the only time he’ll deal. But he’s probably not going to cave. This feels like a game of chicken to me. Who’s going to snap first? Allvin or Drury?

Drury’s not under pressure to make a deal either. Unless, of course, the team goes on a prolonged losing streak, which I hope they do. 

I wouldn't say he has no pressure. They have a lot of kids that will be needing raises the next couple years, Strome expiring...

This may be their best chance at the highest quality, deepest team they can afford, for quite a while and with guys like Zib, Panarin, Strome, Trouba etc at their peaks.

Lose Strome this summer and they're also out a 2C. Then it starts becoming either pay to move the Kreider/Trouba contracts or lose kids you can't afford to give raises to.

They very much have a ticking clock.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'm not really entirely sure why NYR would want Miller so much when their top line is pretty much locked with Zibanejad and then Strome's been playing decently as a 2nd line center.

The speculation is that they are all but guaranteed not to be able to re-sign Strome after this season.  Miller would be an instant upgrade over Strome in almost every way AND he's cost controlled for one and a half more seasons on an exceptionally team-friendly deal. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Fanuck said:

The speculation is that they are all but guaranteed not to be able to re-sign Strome after this season.  Miller would be an instant upgrade over Strome in almost every way AND he's cost controlled for one and a half more seasons on an exceptionally team-friendly deal. 

Cool.

Lafreniere

Schneider

Chytil or Kravtsov

1st ‘22

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Add to that, one would think they have a good chance at extending JT to a team friendly deal. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Me_ said:

Cool.

Lafreniere

Schneider

Chytil or Kravtsov

1st ‘22

I wish that was the offer. Canucks take that and run if the Rangers offered that. 

But we ain't getting both Laf and Schneider. that's just silly. One or the other possibly, but even that remains unlikely at this stage. 

16 minutes ago, Pears said:

Who’s this guy?

He’s a sack of farts who’s “movement” report seems to originate from his bowels.

I guess we’ll see…..does he become an insider if he’s correct? The next Eklund silhouette on TSN’s trade deadline day show?