The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

Miller for Attard, 5th overall this year, and Philly's 1st in 2023.

They need at least one established roster player coming back in a miller deal, imo.  They're not rebuilding 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AC Readership said:

What about this?

Flyers Receive:

Miller ($2.625M retained)

Myers ($3M retained)

Canucks Receive:

JVR

Combo of these players & assets:

5th OA

23 1st

Frost

York

Tuomaala

Foerster

I don't think the Flyers would give up Provorov if they're going all in and the only D prospect they have that's worth anything is York.

JR have said, he wants to construct a team that can win in a couple of years. He mentioned he’s looking for players around the age of 24-26 to build around. So, I highly doubt he’d be interested in picks and prospects, who won’t be ready when the team is prime to compete.

Two names that could interests him from the Flyers are Konecny and Sanhiem. Both who are rumoured to be on the block. 

Edited by shiznak

If a Miller trade is going to happen, I don’t like these Laine rumours. 
If he wants to go to LA only, he would likely be taking them out the potential JTM market and they probably have the best match as far as depth of prospects at a position we need. 

Dreger saying Philly likely to swing for the fences in the off-season and are looking to move JVR for cap room

This could mean their high pick could be part of a miller deal.

Miller (re-signed / agrees to extension with Philly),  Myers,  Rathbone 

Philly 2022 First (5OA), 2023 2nd

Provorov

JVR (cap dump) - UFA end of season so we can move him as a rental 

Mckewan

A73FA394-5C67-4CEA-A45C-A4E19369EAD2.jpeg

Edited by NucknAsia

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

If a Miller trade is going to happen, I don’t like these Laine rumours. 
If he wants to go to LA only, he would likely be taking them out the potential JTM market and they probably have the best match as far as depth of prospects at a position we need. 

Which Laine rumours? I’ve seen some speculation but nothing concrete. 

3 minutes ago, Pears said:

Which Laine rumours? I’ve seen some speculation but nothing concrete. 

That’s what makes it a rumour. Essentially he is doing what Panarin did in NY, only having one team he is interested in, LA. 
If it was concrete it wouldn’t be rumour and would be less fun than almost baseless speculation. 

On 6/15/2022 at 8:09 PM, aGENT said:

Don't dodge. What do you think the team's aim should be? To be an "ok" team? Like what do think it is "we"  have been arguing about for months here?

Is a moderately better, 95% the same but more expensive roster going to put us in the conversation with the likes of Tampa, Colorado, Carolina, Florida etc...?

Does it even get us in the rung down conversation, with the likes of Toronto, Calgary, Dallas, Nashville, St. Louis etc?

There's a reason some of us only see this as a one answer problem.

It puts us in the playoffs. You can’t assess your playoff team by not making the playoffs. You need to make the playoffs for that assessment.

The idea of overhauling the team to suddenly become the next Colorado, Carolina, Florida is a complete farce and severely lacks foresight and a minimum of understanding of the game.

By the time the Canucks are the next Colorado, Tampa Bay type team, Colorado and Tampa Bay won’t be those types of teams anymore. They are who they are not by formula, but by years of savvy management, and let’s not forget, years of other teams’ complete mismanagement.

So by the time the Canucks will be that good, they will be the next Canucks and other teams will be looking to emulate us, like when Boston won the Cup, like when L.A. won the Cup, like when Washington won the Cup; I don’t hear anyone trying to emulate the Capitals right now. But trying to emulate Tampa Bay and Colorado, why of course; they’re playing in the Cup final.

Should Washington have traded Ovechkin before they won the Cup and they were a pretty bad team barely making the playoffs? (You will ask, am I comparing Miller to Ovechkin? NOOOOO. But he is indeed our best player for the next 3-4 years hands down).

Extremely shortsighted.

Edited by Me_
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2022 at 5:42 PM, aGENT said:

I never "claimed" you said anything. I outright asked you if you thought a "slight improvement" by following your "re-up Miller and tweak" plan is good enough to considered in the same postal code as other contenders.

Many teams are just "ok" until they're not.

The Av's haven't made it out of the second round until this year and only managed to get past the first round in the past couple of years. And, prior to that, they got into the playoffs once in 7 years, only to lose in the first round. With their #1 guy in the line up. Time and patience are required and, yes, tweaking becomes part of that. Or it becomes dog chasing its tail stuff. 

People talk like there's a sure fire way to get there...but there's really not. Teams that get #1 picks tend to have a better shot, there's a reason they go first overall (usually). Other teams that don't have the luxury of a #1 (2 or 3) pick really have to focus on their strengths as well as their weaknesses. JT Miller IS our strength right now...so you get rid of him to be better? If ever there was a player who gives you a shot at being a contender (as much as some of those #1 overall guys), I'd say JT's it.

A team that gets into the playoffs and has momentum....along with goaltending, a healthy roster and fair officiating, has a shot...that's all you need. People here want "consistent contenders"....but some of us aren't aiming there and we just want a cup (first and foremost). Get one, then focus on sustaining that or it's cart in front of the horse. Consistently contending isn't the goal, it gives you more chances at it. You can be a good "contender" for a long time and still have no cup...should we be ok with that? At this stage, JT gives us a better shot of getting one in the near future than the void in the line up if he's not there. For some of us, we want it all and we want it now not consistency in trying.

You focus on getting A cup, not on trying to get one for a sustained period. Sure, I get it....odds are better that way. But losing JT reduces our odds as many of us see it. He's built for playoffs.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Me_ said:

It puts us in the playoffs. You can’t assess your playoff team by not making the playoffs. You need to make the playoffs for that assessment.

The idea of overhauling the team to suddenly become the next Colorado, Carolina, Florida is a complete farce and severely lacks foresight and a minimum of understanding of the game.

By the time the Canucks are the next Colorado, Tampa Bay type team, Colorado and Tampa Bay won’t be those types of teams anymore. They are who they are not by formula, but by years of savvy management, and let’s not forget, years of other teams’ complete mismanagement.

So by the time the Canucks will be that good, they will be the next Canucks and other teams will be looking to emulate us, like when Boston won the Cup, like when L.A. won the Cup, like when Washington won the Cup; I don’t hear anyone trying to emulate the Capitals right now. But trying to emulate Tampa Bay and Colorado, why if course; they’re playing in the Cup final.

Should Washington have traded Ovechkin before they won the Cup and they were a pretty bad team barely making the playoffs? (You will ask, am I comparing Miller to Ovechkin? NOOOOO. But he is indeed our best player for the next 3-4 years hands down).

Extremely shortsighted.

If we aspire to become as good as Tampa and Colorado are now, we should be trading Miller and Bo for younger assets and picks, so we can be that good in several years, which would be after those two players are beyond their competitive years.  

Trying to build a winner around Miller (and Bo - IMHAO) is a fools game.  

This club needs to build around Petey and Hughes.  Demko can be traded toward the end of his contract if the club’s direction hasn’t turned. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Many teams are just "ok" until they're not.

The Av's haven't made it out of the second round until this year and only managed to get past the first round in the past couple of years. And, prior to that, they got into the playoffs once in 7 years, only to lose in the first round. With their #1 guy in the line up. Time and patience are required and, yes, tweaking becomes part of that. 

People talk like there's a sure fire way to get there...but there's really not. Teams that get #1 picks tend to have a better shot, there's a reason they go first overall (usually). Other teams that don't have the luxury of a #1 (2 or 3) pick really have to focus on their strengths as well as their weaknesses. JT Miller IS our strength right now...so you get rid of him to be better? If ever there was a player who gives you a shot at being a contender (as much as some of those #1 overall guys), I'd say JT's it.

A team that gets into the playoffs and has momentum....along with goaltending, a healthy roster and fair officiating has a shot...that's all you need. People here want consistent contenders....some want one cup (first). Consistently contending isn't the goal, it's a plan to try to get to the goal. Then you can focus on sustaining that. You can be a good team for a long time and have no cup.

Teams rise and fall; that’s the cycle.  Is our young core as good as other teams’ (risers) that will be the best over the next 5 years?  I’d so no, it’s not.  So do we continue down this losing road, or do we make the needed changes to improve our young core to be better and compete with the top clubs?  

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we aspire to become as good as Tampa and Colorado are now, we should be trading Miller and Bo for younger assets and picks, so we can be that good in several years, which would be after those two players are beyond their competitive years.  

This club needs to build around Petey and Hughes.  Demko can be traded toward the end of his contract if the club’s direction hasn’t turned. 

So you want to build for how far off in the future?

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Teams rise and fall; that’s the cycle.  Is our young core as good as other teams’ (risers) that will be the best over the next 5 years?  I’d so no, it’s not.  So do we continue down this losing road, or do we make the needed changes to improve our young core to be better and compete with the top clubs?  

Our goaltending is on point. I'd say Petey and Quinn give us a good shot despite some setbacks. Podz is proving to be all that we're hoping he is (and will likely only build off that). Brock had an off year but I'm not giving up on him yet. We do compete with top clubs...we beat the Avs in March and in an OT game that I was at that showed us we can.

Changes aren't always improvements...sometimes they're downgrades. But people talk like it's an instant upgrade...that's your first mistake.

Our bubble playoff team is quickly dismissed/overlooked by some. Not sure why that is.

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Never-Ending-Reee-build...ahh,aaa ah, ahh, ah

3e62416ee0cca7cf3f73e599ede20e58.jpg.e9b27319fd0c58c2683b7ddae25a78ab.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1