The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Over 82 games it would have been 106 points.

Think TBL ended with 110. 

Barring some serious injury problems, which I do not foresee since Tanev and Edler are gone, this team as is makes the playoffs with ease. 

In no way is there a country club laissez-faire mentality under Boudreau. Such a player would ride pine until splinters puts him on IR.

• Cheers 1

To those who think we were “good.”
You better hope demko stays heathy and can continue to play at a vezina caliber nightly. then we can run him into the ground so when we make the playoffs he’s exhausted…

look at chances for and against

we were not good as a team. 

bruce did a good job with what he had but thinking that we can give up 40 shots a night and be a playoff team:picard:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

And the LOSER LEAFS ended with 115.  

Alf. I’m getting upset with you. What happened to you? You became this non-croyant all of a sudden. What is it? What’s going on? Is it a personal thing? It can’t just be that your team didn’t make the playoffs…

You used to see clearly and have some very good opinions. But it seems as if you are calling for a perpetual rebuild.

You see, you get rid of the Millers for “later success”… who do you think will be too old by then by your metrics? Pettersson, Demko and Hughes. 

So we’ll trade them in 4 years because they’re too old for that magical window that doesn’t exist?

• Huggy Bear 1

10 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Of the two, I would agree.

How long can Bo accept a rebuild if that is what we are going after...., poor guy needs to go to a team that is serious if we are doing the perpetual re-tooling.

Still having strength like JT, Bo, EP down the middle is something teams dream of.

It's what BB said when he got here. Very hard to find 3 centres with that talent. 

I would love to keep them all, they all bring a different and important element to the team. The problem is contracts and lack of assets to trade with that JB stuck us with. Boeser overpaid, Myers, OEL but if given more pp time who knows, I'm not as low on him as many are.

Ie we could move out Myers, Pearson (there is a market for both) but we aren't getting players back that will really help us (we'd get cap space only). 

We don't have assets people will pay up for and that we can afford to move (ie trading from a position of strength).

So what happens? We have to go UFA route and start overpaying again...this is the vicious circle Benning created. He didn't stock up on picks and youth that could be leveraged for trades, say if we had a stable of RD or centers...all of a sudden you have flexibility to make a trade that can help now and in the future if you say trade Myers with one of those high quality prospects...

Benning really made a mess here, I'm sure JR and Alvin have a tough job ahead and tough decisions to make, and many fans will be unhappy is my guess.

Edited by NucknAsia
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If there’s a way to keep all three that’s what you do.

Wingers should be much easier to draft and acquire to fill out the roster. Having three centers like those guys is how we should build.

I would move Boeser or Garland before moving a center.

If the can fill the holes properly yes, but will a winger who's had injuries and and 25 goals with a 7.5 mil QO bring back alot? Will Garland? I am not sold that they will.

If they do, sure....because Miller can also play wing and his flexibility is very valuable...

4 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Yes. But they are more likely to be part of next year’s team than not. That’s the nature of the business. 

Of course.  But to play our fun game here, we speculate which of the guys (not in the core three) will be traded and for what return.  And we argue about the potential to compete now, while making these trades, or compete in a future (2-5 years) making these trades.  

Some here see JR trading Garland for Marino.  That’s a now trade.

Some see Miller for 2OA.  That’s a (2-5 years) futures trade.

Old Alf is (today before booze) leaning to the future philosophy.  Even though I know that’s not what JR has stated he’s going to do.  

None of what we post here is actually going to happen.  It’s just hoping what we want to happen - as of this moment.  

4 minutes ago, combover said:

To those who think we were “good.”
You better hope demko stays heathy and can continue to play at a vezina caliber nightly. then we can run him into the ground so when we make the playoffs he’s exhausted…

look at chances for and against

we were not good as a team. 

bruce did a good job with what he had but thinking that we can give up 40 shots a night and be a playoff team:picard:

our overall defense is atrocious and Demko masks it. Much as Lou did in his early years.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

I could see a BIG deal with Philly if they are really going for it. Torts is not a coach who would have signed up for a rebuild so as dreger has said they will be aggressive (see my post below). As with you I see a Miller Myers deal but also think Boeser and potentially Rathbone should be involved. Why? Because if we are trading miller we need a player like Provorov back (assuming Miller is signed to an extension).

Canucks to Philly - Miler, Myers, Rathbone

Philly To Van - Provorov, 2022 1st round 5OA, 2023 2nd round, JVR (Cap dump UFA end of season so we can move him out for a pick), Zack Mckewan (undo JB's bad move).

Rationale 

Miller if re-signed is worth Provorov and the 1st

Myers and Rathbone are worth the 2023 2nd plus Mckewan - with Provorov, Rathbone has no room on this team anymore.

JVR is cap move for Philly 

We now have a world class LD

We now have cap room with Myers and Miller out to sign a UFA like Forsberg and a RD

Mckewan adds the grit on the 4th line we are lacking

I just don't see them giving up Provorov if they're going all in. They'd do Sanheim though which doesn't make sense for the Canucks unless he was part of a big package for Miller, Myers, and Rathbone to flip at the 23 trade deadline for picks & prospects. 

36 minutes ago, NucknAsia said:

And no, objectivity is factual

Subjectivity is opinion

Fans need to start being objective and looking at facts not feelings

Objective is listing the facts. Subjective is giving your opinion or interpretation of what those facts mean. Other than repeating stats, sports is totally subjective. We were not good enough to make the playoffs last year is objective. We are not good enough to make the playoffs next year is subjective.

(No matter how often our friend @wallstreetamigo might claim otherwise.)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

No team blew the Canuck management out of the water with an offer for JTM at the trade deadline . I know the Canucks were still chasing but if they had accepted an offer than. I think it would have been the best they will get . I know there are more teams now But those same teams could sit back until free agency and see where the chips fall as well  . I really have no idea of what a one year remaining , 99 point and leader  on a 51/2 mill contract is worth and to who  . I would expect A good NHL player , an A protect and a 1st round pick [ if it's a low 1st than maybe a second or third as well ] and even if that happens I am not sure I wouldn't just rather they resign JTM long term . Winning teams do have older veterans on them and he is a leader .

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Of course, but they need at least two new player who can step.in and be an impact player right away

Doesn't have to be via the Miller trade though. Can be done by, for example, signing Kuzmenko or another free agent, or making another trade.

If trading Miller enables us to finally draft that top-flight RD, then I'm all for it. We can upgrade the rest of our team via other routes. 

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Good god.

Trade Demko?

I'm gonna slot in your trade proposals in a file with your playoff predictions labelled....way off.

That was not the first 4 letter word that starts with 's' and ends with 't' that my mind told me it was when I first saw it.

• Haha 2