The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

Just now, Coconuts said:

Yupppp, I like Garland and OEL but in retrospect that kind of move was made too early. All we had to do was wait for Loui, Rouss, and Beagle to expire.

Think about what we could do with an extra 12 mil in cap space and a young stud prospect ready to step into the lineup.

We could re-sign all our players and even add another top 6 forward…

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I wonder if everyone would be tripping over themselves to trade Horvat if he had a 99 point season? He's only 2 years younger than Miller. With the same cap hit and expiry time.

It’s as if some people are allergic to high halent. TRADE NOW THAT THEY’RE WORTH SOMETHING!

Eriksonitis.

Edited by Me_
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Think about what we could do with an extra 12 mil in cap space and a young stud prospect ready to step into the lineup.

We could re-sign all our players and even add another top 6 forward…

Yup, Benning really hamstrung us 

28 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I wonder if everyone would be tripping over themselves to trade Horvat if he had a 99 point season? He's only 2 years younger than Miller. With the same cap hit and expiry time.

I mean, depending on what Horvat wants in terms of a contract I'm willing to move him too

We can't afford to lose top players for nothing 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

To think a GM that had already backed himself into cap trouble was actively seeking out another anchor contract…:picard:

Benning will get credit for some decent drafting, but man did he make some bad short sighted moves during his time here. He left the next GM with no cap space, anchor contracts, and somehow nothing left in the prospect pool despite only making the playoffs two times in 8 years.

GMs like that can set franchises back 5 years with their bonehead decision making.

Those are the main reasons the team has to rebuild around the Core 3/4 which is going to take 2-4 years to right the ship after being mismanaged for so long.

His drafting & developing of D was offensive sans Hughes, the jury is still out on Rathbone.

He didn't have a plan & vision while repeating the same mistake over & over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I don't think so, I'd seriously explore what it'd take to move OEL instead and try to beef up our right side

Hughes and Byram would be a helluva left

It would, but also a bit redundant.  Having Byram would make Hughes a little more expendable if NJ made a significant offer.......it'd be a tough call.   

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

It would, but also a bit redundant.  Having Byram would make Hughes a little more expendable if NJ made a significant offer.......it'd be a tough call.   

Hughes is proven though, Byram has massive upside but isn't in the same bracket just yet

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Hughes is proven though, Byram has massive upside but isn't in the same bracket just yet

That is true and it NJ will always be the main trading partner and it wouldn't have to be this off season.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Not sure if this has been discussed yet, but maybe 5th overall for Miller? Would most likely land us one of Nemec/Jiricek. Maybe we can try to squeeze a bit more out of Philadelphia.

Just to get a different mix on D maybe try Miller and Myers for #5 and Ristolainen.  Risto hasn’t done great in Philly but maybe he could work well with OEL. Change of scenery deal with Myers.   If Jiricek or Nemec are ready at a point when Schenn is still productive we could have:

Hughes Jiricek

OEL Ristolainen

Rathbone Schenn

Definitely adds some size to the group.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, JM_ said:

problem with that way tho Alf is it doesn't get us elite talent, or at least really lessens the chance of it. We have to tank for 1-2 year to get more of that. 

I think our fans are hungry for a playoffs. I know Miller is valuable right now. And after what Tofu and Copp fetched, maybe we get a blockbuster like those two maybe we dont. But if we don't get that.  Let's go for it next year and get a couple of playoff rounds in. I like our chances with Coach B. 

Our adds are simple, a big RHD 3C and a a couple of nasty forecheck ears that can skate. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Just to get a different mix on D maybe try Miller and Myers for #5 and Ristolainen.  Risto hasn’t done great in Philly but maybe he could work well with OEL. Change of scenery deal with Myers.   If Jiricek or Nemec are ready at a point when Schenn is still productive we could have:

Hughes Jiricek

OEL Ristolainen

Rathbone Schenn

Definitely adds some size to the group.

I like the trade idea.  But where is Dermott?  Maybe he plays with OEL and Myers gets us Provorov?  Then we can run a top pair of Hughes Provorov until Jiricek is ready to play on the club? 

10 hours ago, stawns said:

honestly, I'd probably do Miller for Byram straight up with money retained.  

I bet you would.  Hahahah

Concussion problems and all, the kid is well on his way to being a #1 dman.  
My guess would be he is untouchable for Colorado.  

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

To think a GM that had already backed himself into cap trouble was actively seeking out another anchor contract…:picard:

Benning will get credit for some decent drafting, but man did he make some bad short sighted moves during his time here. He left the next GM with no cap space, anchor contracts, and somehow nothing left in the prospect pool despite only making the playoffs two times in 8 years.

GMs like that can set franchises back 5 years with their bonehead decision making.

After all is said and done, he was probably top 2-3 worst GMs we have had.  

30 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Konecny+5th for miller+ 15 makes so much sense. 

Hirvat could have his cousin konecny on his wing. And at 5 we could get a top rhd 

Trading our best asset for a winger when what we need is 3rd line C and right D makes no sense at all. 
I think value is low as well. Miller for Koneckny and 10 places in the draft isn’t worth it at the deadline much less now. 

Edited by DrJockitch

44 minutes ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Konecny+5th for miller+ 15 makes so much sense. 

Hirvat could have his cousin konecny on his wing. And at 5 we could get a top rhd 

This is exactly the type of trade JR will do.  And adding Konecny will allow JR to trade Garland for a 3C and pick.

Pods Petey Boeser

Kuzmenko Bo Konecni

Pearson (Garland trade return) Hogs

Plus we have 5OA and can draft the top RSD of Nemec and Juracek, whichever is still on the board. 

And we get (maybe?) a second rounder in the Garland deal.  

Edited by Alflives