The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

18 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

We probably get a little forward help back with trades and I see a UFA signing or two but really with Miller it'll only be 80 points we need to replace as he had a career year. Anyways even if he gets 100 next year the defence is far more important!

I don't think this thing gets fixed in one year like you hope. Fix the defence which has been plaguing us for years. Then you can concentrate on finding some point getters in a year, or two, or three to play in the top 6 with Petey and Bo and Boes. We also have Kuzmenko so we can ice something quite competitive.

Garland-Petterson-Boeser

Kuzmenko-Bo-Podkolzin

Pearson and Hoglander can also play up there if need be plus a UFA if we free up cap. I think that's absolutely fine for a year or two while we position ourselves defensively and in the bottom 6. Then we can either sign a UFA or hopefully our 15th overall/additional picks from this year is ready to contribute in 2 or 3 years.

I'm hoping we see a significant re-tool, do I really expect it? no not really, just expecting a lot from the mega hive mind we now have in management I guess.

I'd like to re-tool using Pearson, Hog's, Myers, Garland (shed Dickie and Poolman if possible for cap) and see if we can accelerate things that way via trades with assets back from those deals. 

Those are decent quality players (other than Dickie and Poolie), I'm not trying to jettison crap, just get better fits for our main talent. 

Edited by JM_
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I think youth build is best because unless we move out Hughes and Demko we're going to be too good to bottom out. We aren't beating out Arizona, Buffalo, Detroit, and several others.

I'm all for embracing steps back for steps forward, but tanking isn't a guarantee either. We need to draft well and acquire picks and prospects where and how we can.

Enter a JT Miller trade.

a single season turnaround was never realistic, neither is contending in two years either imo.

I'd rather management be patient than rush, I'm willing to wait if they commit to building right.

The longer we take to start replenishing the pool the longer we wait for prospects to crack the team and make a difference. Benning did well to grab some top end talent but we've seen precious little else, and now we have roster holes and a subpar prospect pool with little top end talent.

Exactly. It doesn't matter what we do with the team on the ice the team 100% needs to start getting picks (young prospects) in the system to be continually competitive. I'm far bigger on acquiring draft picks than most folks and JR/Allvin I think.

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

If you own a car you don't actually need to sell, you don't sell it until someone gives you exactly what you want for it,  no?

True but your car won't be able to choose a new owner for itself in one year.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Exactly. It doesn't matter what we do with the team on the ice the team 100% needs to start getting picks (young prospects) in the system to be continually competitive. I'm far bigger on acquiring draft picks than most folks and JR/Allvin I think.

so just taking a stroll though our reserve list - how many of these guys do you see ending up in Abby in the next two year? maybe 3?

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/reserve-list/canucks

its a huge job to replenish the pipeline, imo its going to take 4 more years. This has to happen regardless of where we see this teams window at. 

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

They're the best way to get top end talent, gems are found every year but if you don't have picks you don't have chances 

It's why I'm not a fan of trading 1st and 2nd round picks

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

True but your car won't be able to choose a new owner for itself in one year.

It would in a way,  if it was leased, that's how we should be looking at this asset, it's only ours for a limited time frame. 

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Is that really doing VAN a solid?  Paying a 37-38 year old $7, when they're going to have to pay big bucks to Pettersson, Hughes, Podkolzin and Bedard eventually :bigblush:

It may be a problem later on but McDonagh ($6.75M) was recently traded so anything can happen.  It might take a 1st in the year 2028 or so to trade Miller in the later years.  But it’s a good cap hit now and allows the team to further build towards a contender.

But really requires Miller to accept such a deal.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

TOR - 

WAS - 

BOS - 

COL - 

PIT -

VAN - 

FLA - 

WPG

Kadri

Miller

Malkin

Bergeron

Tavares

Giroux

Dubois

Which C goes where?

Shot in the dark.

Toronto- Tavares

Washington- Malkin

Boston- Bergeron

Colorado- Copp

Pittsburgh- Miller

Vancouver-?

Florida- Giroux

NYR- Kadri

Montreal- Dubois

• Cheers 3

19 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I'm hoping we see a significant re-tool, do I really expect it? no not really, just expecting a lot from the mega hive mind we now have in management I guess.

I'd like to re-tool using Pearson, Hog's, Myers, Garland (shed Dickie and Poolman if possible for cap) and see if we can accelerate things that way via trades with assets back from those deals. 

Those are decent quality players (other than Dickie and Poolie), I'm not trying to jettison crap, just get better fits for our main talent. 

I see too many problems to just tinker around the edges like this and then max cap out on our current squad ... yet again. As someone mentioned this is the Benning plan and we've seen it clearly doesn't work as he so desperately hoped each year. As @AC Readership mentioned this would be utterly boring and a waste of time imo. I would be tempted to say this would be the first time in 20 years I won't watch all the games ... but of course I'd watch anyway but against my will. -_-

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, JM_ said:

so just taking a stroll though our reserve list - how many of these guys do you see ending up in Abby in the next two year? maybe 3?

its a huge job to replenish the pipeline, imo its going to take 4 more years. This has to happen regardless of where we see this teams window at. 

Oh man, incoming Tryamkin posts, lol

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

PLD has entered the conversation with the NYR looking like we may end up having to find a new suitor for JT if the trade option is the choice made. 

The Jets don’t actually wanna trade PLD though. They gave up a lot to get him.

If New York wants him they better be willing to pay the price they didn’t wanna pay us for Miller. Lafreniere/Kakko, Schneider, and a 1st is gonna be the minimum ask.

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I would say 1 in McDo0naugh, and maybe the goalie and Myrenburg eventually. We need to acquire picks and develop the 2022 15 and 21 and 79. We also need to draft well in 2023 and take the 2023 10-12th overall plus 42 and 74, and any other picks or prospects we receive in trade now or next year. That's 6-10 solid young players with a higher chance then most to develop into an NHLer in 2-4 years. Unfortunately there is no quick fix for the mess we've created.

I think you're taking a bit of a defeatist attitude in regards to draft picks. It's literally where 95% of NHLers come from. There is no getting around that so not wanting draft picks because the take time is a poor decision in my mind. Again it comes down to patience to take a step back and reset.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If New York wants him they better be willing to pay the price they didn’t wanna pay us for Miller. Lafreniere/Kakko, Schneider, and a 1st is gonna be the minimum ask.

I think the Habs are gonna be in pretty hot and heavy on Doober as well.

57 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Ok so you’re bored due to the present situation.

Got it.

And you don’t think that assembling what may be the most talent in one management room in the history of the club, and when all is said and done, perhaps in league history may be a good indication that things are going to do a 180 in short distance?

The pieces are there. They’re playing at a .638 click. That’s not nothing. That’s playoff territory.

4th in the division and 8th in the West in 2022 (or from Christmas onwards - it's the same rankings).  CGY 5th, EDM 10th and LAK 12th with Vancouver at 15th league wide playing at 0.608 after the Christmas break.  Nashville would have been edged out of the top-8.

Rutherford guarded against over-valuing those initial games talking about coaching-bump and playing mostly backup goalies.  They weren't seen as a threat initially given how poorly they were playing before the coaching change, so ignoring those initial games before the holiday break.

They were a bubble team and that's with Miller having a 99pt season with the bulk of his production under Boudreau.  Pettersson was also over ppg in 2022. 

Calgary would likely take a step back if they lose Gaudreau but Vegas should rebound.  Edmonton shouldn't be worse.  Boudreau thinks LAK improved quite a bit with last week's trade.  At least 4 teams in the mix and there's the Central who grabbed both wildcard spots last season.  It's not about next season though but becoming perennial contenders.  

LAK was right with them over that stretch as a team coming out of a rebuild with one of the highest ranked prospect pools and deep with RDs. The Canucks could be in tough to compete with them in the years ahead if they don't start building their prospect pool.

• Cheers 2

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

He’s already said he’s going to FA so they don’t really have a choice in the matter. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They got a pretty good return for Trouba under similar circumstances from the same team.  

• Cheers 1