The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] J.T. Miller Trade/Contract Talks

Podzilla

11 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

How long do you think JR’s going to be around? 

I can’t see it being 2-3 years only. He’s already in his first year…next year will be his second. Does he step down at that time? And I wonder if there’s going to be another President of Hockey Ops coming in after him or does that leave Allvin having to deal with Francesco. We know how that works….

My guess would be 5 years absolute tops.  If he turns this franchise around I think he can say mission accomplished, I've implemented a strong management culture/structure and leave with that legacy.  If it's a failure or meh, I think ownership will probably just move on and look for another direction (maybe the sedins then, à la Linden) ?

15 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

First we heard from Jim Rutherford some level of frustration. Interesting. Seemed a little prickly in the sound bite. Kinda like that he pushed back hard against the media, Canucks media has been running rapid spreading a lot of rumors this past season. Glad he put them in their place.

I think you mean running rampant, becuase if it was the former then you just said they run fast spreading rumors, which could be true and funny to see.

Ian mcyintyre asks BB if he likes russian players, gets his response, than sprints out of the room to make a guest appearance on the Donnie and Dhali show.

running rampant spreading rumors means. they are spreading rumors with disregard whether they are from good sources, or even might mean made up rumors.

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

If the Canucks take him, won't they be in the same situation?  He's not good enough to be in the NHL, so would

only play just a few games.  They already have the LD they need for the upcoming season and all of them are

able to play the NHL game.

If the Canucks have to take Joseph, it should have little effect on their trade proposal. 

Miller for Marino +Bluger + Poulin + Joseph $.825 (if they must).

Miller + Dermott for Marino + Blueger  is almost a wash on cap. Yeah, they probably still have to dump Zucker to ice a team, but that's a seperate issue of theirs.

Send us back Pickering, a first (bonus points for either Poulin or Blomqvist) for getting the best player. Maybe offer up a Dickinson/Kapanen swap (or as a seperate deal) once they've dumped Zucker as well.

• Vintage 1

Definitely a good reply from JR as it's his job to provide some air cover for the operations of the team.  I still don't believe the trade deadline, or near it, is a viable solution however because they won't, or at least shouldn't, move JT with the team in the thick of competing for the playoffs.  That timing could rip the soul out of the team if JT is a key piece of that run.  Trade deadline would also be less of a hockey trade and more future pieces, which is good now, but not then.  

My bet is it still happens in the offseason and likely with Pitts or NJ.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

JR asking why the impatience? Maybe it's from Miller's value diminishing as time goes on and teams wait us out? 

is that really true though? or is that something we're making up. When was the last time someone of Millers quality went for a crap return at a TDL?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I don’t know how much of a difference it makes with NHL GMs but I appreciate the front office being largely leak-free and holding the public line of “we’re fine re-signing him and there’s no rush.” 

It’s driving some fans crazy but from a negotiation standpoint it’s where you want to be coming from.  Even if other teams can probably see they’d prefer to get it done this offseason.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Miller + Dermott for Marino + Blueger  is almost a wash on cap. Yeah, they probably still have to dump Zucker to ice a team, but that's a seperate issue of theirs.

Send us back Pickering, a first (bonus points for either Poulin or Blomqvist) for getting the best player. Maybe offer up a Dickinson/Kapanen swap (or as a seperate deal) once they've dumped Zucker as well.

Still feel like this is the right direction.  Maybe the cap is solved by moving Dickinson for Zucker (Could be a cap win for both sides:

Miller, Dickinson, Dermott for Marino, Zucker, Kapanen and Pickering

Then likely still move Garland or Pearson for another RD.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

I entirely agree that our forwards and goalie are cup quality. But, I also did not believe for one second that Toronto or Edmonton was actually going to win a cup this last year (or going forward with their current construction). I know we have something that they don't, and that's Demko.  Teams are too good now, they need to be well rounded to win a cup. If say Garland is traded for a top 4 D, or we some how land Klingberg then my tune may change. But right now I really hope we aren't pushing our chips all in with Schenn playing with our blue chip defensemen. 

As it stands right now, there are just too many teams with better built rosters and better depth throughout to convince myself this is a cup quality team (yet), even up front. If a bunch of young players take a giant step forward this year then I would agree. For this to be a cup winning forward group the following would need to happen:

Podkolzin continues to evolve and take a step forward

Hoglander find his game and learns how to finish

Boeser find his consistency scoring touch again and has 30+ goals (I predict Boeser had a GREAT year this year with a clear head)

Pettersson starts where he finished off last year

Kuzmenko contributes right away in his first year in N.A

Dickinson finds his game and is a very good 2-way center

Mikheyev shows what he showed in Toronto and finishes

Lastly, our PP and PK (especially PK) need to play at a different level completely. 

I'm just not sure we can count on all those happening. The future is looking brighter by the day though.

Edited by Harold Drunken

1 minute ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Still feel like this is the right direction.  Maybe the cap is solved by moving Dickinson for Zucker (Could be a cap win for both sides:

Miller + Dickinson + Dermott for Marino, Zucker, Kapanen and Pickering

I would do this if they cannot sign JT but they do not need Dermott, they signed Rutta and we don't need both tucker and kapanen, and they are short on wingers so I would as for Bluegger back so he can play C for us as we are giving up Dickie, we still need a 3C if we move miller

Edited by Canucks Curse
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, AC Readership said:

I've been on the team mini rebuild train this whole offseason, but it seems like management has found it way tougher than they anticipated in regards to free up cap space. Other teams do not want our crap contracts (Dickinson, Poolman, Pearson, OEL, & Myers) unless money is retained & with draft picks added.

As Alf said, do you think Aqua will let management be sellers at the trade deadline if they're in playoff contention? That is the reason I think they're going all in this year looking at the current landscape of other teams in the division right now with the 3rd Pacific division playoff spot up in the air.

You don’t win the cup with that many poor contracts on the team. 
A team that has Poolman, Dick, Pearson, OEL, Myers…… isn’t any kind of threat to win. 
Of you can’t trade them, you need to buy them out, or wait them out. 

As for management, JR said he was here to build the team, not allow ownership meddling. 
If they allow meddling, and they are also unable to make any moves…… bad contracts is the least of our problems. 
That means we have another incompetent group, and an owner who will never learn his lesson. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, ilduce39 said:

I don’t know how much a difference it makes with NHL GMs but I appreciate the front office being largely leak-free and holding the public line of “we’re fine re-signing him and there’s no rush.” 

It’s driving some fans crazy but from a negotiation standpoint it’s where you want to be coming from.  Even if other teams can probably see they’d prefer to get it done this offseason.

JR runs a tight ship.  

Also love how he gives credit to his employees. True leader. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

is that really true though? or is that something we're making up. When was the last time someone of Millers quality went for a crap return at a TDL?

Personally, I don't think it's something we're making up. Management basically has two options: 1) Hold out on a trade until they get the return they want (which they've been doing), or 2) trade him for a return that isn't that great. The only other option is for a team to pony up a return that we're asking for, but I think that's the least likely to occur.

14 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Ian McIntyre is the only guy I'll really listen to/read without a giant grain of salt. 

Agreed. Ian is one of the very few "professionals" left in the industry. I actually don't mind Halford and Brough. They don't pretend be who they are not. Pretty light hearted and funny. I have no time for Clowns like Sekeres and Price. 

• Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, Muttley said:

JR sounded very firm that if Miller is still on the team come 2023 TDL (and not extended) that he will trade him.  Fingers, toes, and eyes crossed our owner will allow that trade. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Miller, Dickinson, Dermott for Marino, Zucker, Kapanen and Pickering

If Miller returns Marino, and Garland returns a second right side D, then I think the next domino to fall will be Myers out for whatever, just so long as his cap is gone. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Welcome to Canada Jim!!!   :lol:

Well at least he confirmed one thing.  If JT Miller is not re-signed prior to the 2023 TDL he WILL be traded.  We aren't letting him walk for free.

Now Jim, the tricky part is what happens if the Canucks are firmly in a playoff spot, maybe even 1st or 2nd in their division?  Are you going to trade him then?  Will Aquilini allow you to trade your best player when you are clearly in a plyoff spot?

Like I said already, welcome to Vancouver Jim!!  Maybe retirement was a better option than coming to Vancouver...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Vintage 1