The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Boeser On Block

Podzilla

25 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think the only way they don’t end up bringing Boeser back at this point is if his agent is using his qualifying offer as leverage, which I don’t think will happen.

There’s a reasonable number there around 6 mil, what the term will be is anybodies guess.

I think most likely is around 3 x $6.75 I don' think the parties are likely to reach a consensus on longer term deal. 

Edited by Maddogy

38 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

I think most likely is around 3 x $6.75 I don' think the parties are likely to reach a consensus on longer term deal. 

7 minutes ago, awalk said:

3 x 6.75 would be fantastic

If Brock is worth 6.75 x 3yr then what is BoHo worth when he's up for renewal essentially a year from now?  I'm not debating Boeser's worth, but what would that make BoHo's next contract look like? 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

It's very apparent here that we have a core group that looks out for each other and will play for each other. Not every team seems to have that.  I've stated before that I think Boeser's expendable; however, perhaps it could be a risk in the locker room to trade him as well given the situation.

So I'm not for or against trading Boeser. If he signs a good deal, we could probably get cap space elsewhere anyway.

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

If Brock is worth 6.75 x 3yr then what is BoHo worth when he's up for renewal essentially a year from now?  I'm not debating Boeser's worth, but what would that make BoHo's next contract look like? 

Tough call. 7.5 range with it going higher if he has another 30 goal + next year? I'm not great at this stuff.

4 minutes ago, awalk said:

Tough call. 7.5 range with it going higher if he has another 30 goal + next year? I'm not great at this stuff.

That's the thing.  Every contract Allvin signs with this franchise moving forward will set a precedent and have a ripple effect on the club.  This ripple effect could be good if he signs a 'reasonable' contract below his QO or not so good (for the club anyway) if he signs for his QO.  If Boeser signs for 6.75 then BoHo is likely saying to his agent that he's considerably up from that, then you have Miller who essentially doubled Boeser's production this year......where does it go from there? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Fanuck said:

That's the thing.  Every contract Allvin signs with this franchise moving forward will set a precedent and have a ripple effect on the club.  This ripple effect could be good if he signs a 'reasonable' contract below his QO or not so good (for the club anyway) if he signs for his QO.  If Boeser signs for 6.75 then BoHo is likely saying to his agent that he's considerably up from that, then you have Miller who essentially doubled Boeser's production this year......where does it go from there? 

This is why teams have 'internal' cap limits - otherwise it's just whip-sawing back and forth and it spirals pretty quickly.  

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I think a reasonable contract for Boeser will be $6-6.3 x 2yrs.  The short term offers Brock a chance

to get his game back.

Bo will likely get a long term contract for $7-7.5 x 8yrs

My preference for Miller is $8.5-9m x 6yrs (otherwise he should be traded).

49 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

The good news is the group seems closer than ever, so it's more possible that an internal cap could go a bit lower.

But yeah I don't envy the job of being the Canucks GM right now. A lot of difficult decisions. 

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

57 minutes ago, PlanB said:

This is why teams have 'internal' cap limits - otherwise it's just whip-sawing back and forth and it spirals pretty quickly.  

So what's the smart thing to do?  Lock up the guy you expect to give you the best team friendly deal possible... that would be Bo Horvat in my opinion.  It will set the standard moving forward. 

Lock up Horvat for $7.25M x 8.  That's a solid $58M deal.  Could even go as high as $60M for a $7.5M AAV.

Then sign Brock on a 1-year deal to keep him in RFA status, and allow him to show management what he's got.  Should come in at $6M to $6.5M.

Now you have:

Hughes: 7.85M

Bo: 7.5M

Petey: 7.35M

Brock: 6.5M

Demko: 5M

Garland: 4.95M

It sets a very nice internal cap structure moving forward.  Just don't blow it all up with a crazy Miller contract.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, HKSR said:

So what's the smart thing to do?  Lock up the guy you expect to give you the best team friendly deal possible... that would be Bo Horvat in my opinion.  It will set the standard moving forward. 

Lock up Horvat for $7.25M x 8.  That's a solid $58M deal.  Could even go as high as $60M for a $7.5M AAV.

Then sign Brock on a 1-year deal to keep him in RFA status, and allow him to show management what he's got.  Should come in at $6M to $6.5M.

Now you have:

It sets a very nice internal cap structure moving forward.  Just don't blow it all up with a crazy Miller contract.

I would do that contract with Bo, maybe not 8 years (6 would be better imo) but if your Brock's agent, if you want him to come in a much lower than his QO, you better be offering some term, and that's catch - if you're offering 'term' to compensate for a value lower than his QO, that takes him into his UFA years which we all know usually cost more.  But I think in general you're on to something with the rough structure of the 'internal cap'.  And I agree, Miller is the 'wild-card' in the mix here. 

8 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I would do that contract with Bo, maybe not 8 years (6 would be better imo) but if your Brock's agent, if you want him to come in a much lower than his QO, you better be offering some term, and that's catch - if you're offering 'term' to compensate for a value lower than his QO, that takes him into his UFA years which we all know usually cost more.  But I think in general you're on to something with the rough structure of the 'internal cap'.  And I agree, Miller is the 'wild-card' in the mix here. 

the agent saying there's a number they are working on, makes me think it is something in that 5-6 year range. 40 mil over 6 years? the amount of bonus money, back loading, terms would take time to figure out but that would be a decent deal if the terms still allowed trade potential. 

Edited by JM_

35 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Miller 8.0M

that wouldn't be bad at all for the next 4 years. We'd have to make room likely for a Petey pay raise somehow after two more seasons, that might be when we have to move Garland but by the we should have Klimovich and Karlsson making the team. 

13 minutes ago, JM_ said:

that wouldn't be bad at all for the next 4 years. We'd have to make room likely for a Petey pay raise somehow after two more seasons, that might be when we have to move Garland but by the we should have Klimovich and Karlsson making the team. 

Yeah if we can keep Miller under $9M, then I think we're good to go.  Having that much talent locked up for such reasonable cap hits provides a lot more room to work with as guys like Dickinson, Poolman, etc come off the books either via trade or expiry of contracts.

• Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

18 minutes ago, JM_ said:

the agent saying there's a number they are working on, makes me think it is something in that 5-6 year range. 40 mil over 6 years? the amount of bonus money, back loading, terms would take time to figure out but that would be a decent deal if the terms still allowed trade potential. 

I'd go with a higher cap hit for Brock if it meant a long term deal under $7M AAV.

3 hours ago, Maddogy said:

Garland is a better skater and more of a play driver. Boeser is slower but heavier. I think Boeser is more suited for play styles that teams such as the Islanders employ. It is better if Canucks can replace Boeser with a play driving winger. 

I don't know if Garland is actually any faster.  He isn't really that fast at all.  He just has insane edgework and agility.  He should be getting obliterated with the amount of time he spends on the boards yet he just slips out and keeps feeding pucks into the slot.  Boeser to the Islanders makes a tone of sense.  Barzal is so fast, a one man zone entry machine, and a great passer.  I think Boeser could score 40 with Barzal as I can't imagine a more complimentary winger/center combo.  You put Anders Lee on LW who is also from Edina, MN to Brocks Burnsville, MN; and you have the net front presence and screen that would only further increase Boeser's shooting percentage.

If you could do Boeser + Rathbone for Pulock or Dobson, both teams would be massively better off.

1 hour ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I don't know if Garland is actually any faster.  He isn't really that fast at all.  He just has insane edgework and agility.  He should be getting obliterated with the amount of time he spends on the boards yet he just slips out and keeps feeding pucks into the slot.  Boeser to the Islanders makes a tone of sense.  Barzal is so fast, a one man zone entry machine, and a great passer.  I think Boeser could score 40 with Barzal as I can't imagine a more complimentary winger/center combo.  You put Anders Lee on LW who is also from Edina, MN to Brocks Burnsville, MN; and you have the net front presence and screen that would only further increase Boeser's shooting percentage.

If you could do Boeser + Rathbone for Pulock or Dobson, both teams would be massively better off.

I will be honest - Dobson is exactly the type of guy we need to play with Hughes. Not sure Boeser and Rathbone get it done. 

2 hours ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

Pulock yes.  No to Dobson.  He is terrible without the puck.