The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Boeser On Block

Podzilla

8 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

So lets say, under a new coach, the Canucks go 7 games over .500 (34-27) and still miss the playoffs.  

A year later, we make the playoffs but lose in the 1st round.  

Then what?  Miller leaves?  What about at the end of this year?  Can we afford Boeser?  Do we let him walk?   

Do we want to just make the playoffs for some kind of morale victory or do we want to build a core that can win us a cup one day?   

I'm kind of torn to be honest.  

We have a big playoff potential roster, not a cup potential roster given the d 

Baby steps, lets get to the show first before we worry about winning it all 

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Canuck4digits said:

We have a big playoff potential roster, not a cup potential roster given the d 

Baby steps, lets get to the show first before we worry about winning it all 

Watched the Oilers, Flames, Jets and Vegas last night. Canucks aren’t even close to that caliber. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

@wallstreetamigo @kanucks25 @Provost, @Tom Sestito @AV.

Honest question for you guys,

If Petey and Brock were playing even remotely close to their abilities this season, where do you think we would be in the standings right now?  

Closer to the playoffs, without question. They look like ghosts. But the thing you fail to account for - and that every homer fan can never account for - is the actual likelihood of everything going right. Some players regress, some improve, some stagnate. People can somehow talk themselves into every player improving on their team and never acknowledge any other possibilities. Also forget that other teams may improve (look at Anaheim, Calgary so far). 

If Seattle had good goaltending from Grubauer, they’d probably be in a playoff spot right now. He was playing like Binnington did against us in the bubble, but has recently been good.

It hasn’t all gone bad for us. We have been one of the healthiest teams in the league. Only two injuries over ten games this season - Motte and Sutter. Fourth liners. &^@#ing come on. 

Hoglander, Miller, Demko, Hughes, Podkolzin, OEL, Halak, Garland have all performed at a fair level. Myers has good the first ten games and has reverted to being his typical $&!#ty bottom pairing self. He did this at the start of 19-20 too. 

Pearson, Poolman being $&!# were predictable. 

Horvat, EP, BB, Dickinson, Hamonic all sucked. (Dickinson being bad was predicted by some of the posters you hate on HF) 

If you trade two first round picks for a roster whose ceiling is like an 6-7th seed, in &^@#ing year 8 of this stupidity, that’s so bad. You have no margin for error.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah. I’m with you on both. 

If Boeser is getting traded, it’s got to only be for a blue chip RHD. 

And Bo. Well, I’ve said my thoughts on him. Love the guy. He’s playing on par just like everyone else. 

Green’s gotta go. I’m worried about the psyche of the players on this team. They need a new voice. 

The longer the owners go without letting Green go, the more damage it’ll do to this team long term. 

I envy Edmonton now. Whenever I see highlights, they’re such a good team. McDavid is McDavid - so God wearing 97. But Draistl has been walking on water. Having two of the best players in the league on your team is exciting as hell. 

Wish we had something like that to look forward to whenever the team took the ice. Would be nice to get back to that. 

dobson

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

And Bo. Well, I’ve said my thoughts on him. Love the guy. He’s playing on par just like everyone else. 

Green’s gotta go. I’m worried about the psyche of the players on this team. They need a new voice. 

The longer the owners go without letting Green go, the more damage it’ll do to this team long term. 

I envy Edmonton now. Whenever I see highlights, they’re such a good team. McDavid is McDavid - so God wearing 97. But Draistl has been walking on water. Having two of the best players in the league on your team is exciting as hell. 

Wish we had something like that to look forward to whenever the team took the ice. Would be nice to get back to that. 

I’ll take a lunch bucket team any day. No need for McDavid. 

When Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Höglander, Podkolzin, Miller, Garland, Motte, Hughes and Demko are firing on all cylinders, there is no reason why this team couldn’t be successful.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

A lot of assumptions and ifs

Let’s assume that Shane Wright is even ready to crack the roster. Is he that good that he would centre the top line in the NHL right off the bat? 

We all know that we’re drafting 5th regardless of where we finish :P

Not sure if Dipietro is ready to back up in the NHL. He’s been playing well in the AHL, but I’m not sure if he’s playing that well that he would be ready to be even thrusted into a back up role, yet. Might need some more seasoning. 

I don’t think we can get Dobson or Schneider, but hey, stranger things have happened right? 

A RHD defenseman is a premium in the league. Do you think that the Rangers would do a 1 for 1 deal of Miller/Bo for Schneider, or Dobson? 

All good points,

Just an FYI - my above roster, in that hypothetical, would be for the 23-24 season.  My idea being that a UFA on July 1st 2022 would still be open to coming due to how potentially stacked our roster would be in the future.  

As far as the Rangers or Islanders go, I’m inclined to say yes?   Teams go absolutely crazy at the deadline in their desperation to win the cup.  Horvat and Miller have good cap hits with some term and so I believe that those guys would land us two elite prospects.

3 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Watched the Oilers, Flames, Jets and Vegas last night. Canucks aren’t even close to that caliber. 

Needs some perspective, though: 3 of those teams have suffered through longer droughts of horrible hockey than Canuck fans (so far).

Oilers: In 15 seasons, they missed P/Os 13 times, lost 1 first round and won 1 first round.

Flames:  15 seasons, they missed P/Os 8 times, lost 6 first rounds and won 1 first round.

Jets:  20 seasons, they missed P/Os 15 times, lost 4 first rounds and won 1 second round.

Nucks: 15 seasons, they missed P/Os 7 times, lost 3 first rounds, won 4 first rounds, won 1 third round.

Sure, the first 3 are playing better hockey, but no one can say their fans haven't suffered as bad or worse than the Canuck fans.  I didn't check the other Cdn teams, but I think they have some unappealing records as well.  It's the nature of the Bettman NHL.

• Vintage 1

19 hours ago, Patel Bure said:

Excellent point.  My only concern with making moves too early is that it would indirectly encourage players to "mail it in" this season.  Do we really want to run the risk of guys like Hoglander, Podkolzin, and other young guys mailing it in if we trade our players with value?   I'm not sure......  

I definitely understand your view though.  

I think the mailing in part is a bit much..

if another player came to this team in a trade that offered the same tenacity and game aptitude that Miller Garland and OEL have, I don’t think anyone would mail it in.

… but presently there are a couple who some might say , are already mailing it in.

Perhaps the culture that was here previously, still exists.  I see our new additions playing at a high level,.   I see some fan favourites not.

You simply don't sell low unless you're buying low ... Barzal for Petey makes sense.  Selling low and buying low. 

Moving JT Miller makes sense as that would be selling him high.

Moving Boeser right now makes zero sense.  He's worth way less than normal right now.  His production is down, and he's on the last year of an RFA contract with a high qualifying offer. 

• Cheers 1

On 11/28/2021 at 10:33 AM, Me_ said:

I’ll take a lunch bucket team any day. No need for McDavid. 

When Horvat, Pettersson, Boeser, Höglander, Podkolzin, Miller, Garland, Motte, Hughes and Demko are firing on all cylinders, there is no reason why this team couldn’t be successful.

Hoglander, Garland, Podkolzin, and Demko are carrying lunch buckets. The rest are like construction workers on lunch break. 

• Haha 1

On 11/22/2021 at 7:44 PM, DontMessMe said:

Makes sense. Canucks might not like his 7.5M QO. That QO will walk him to UFA the following year. 

He is not worth that QO.

Lacks foot speed and since the wrist injury can't rip the puck anymore like he used too.

Also seems to be a bit injury prone and always playing banged up.

The NHL gets younger and faster every season. Need guys who can skate well and that have wheels to play high tempo hockey.

He may be near his peak physical and talent wise as an NHL scorer as a 30 goal guy.

If he gets his confidence back maybe worth a swap to the Penguins for a guy like Kasperi Kapanen coming back.

2 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

He is not worth that QO.

Lacks foot speed and since the wrist injury can't rip the puck anymore like he used too.

The NHL gets younger and faster every season. Need guys who can skate well and that have wheels to play high tempo hockey.

He may be near his peak physical and talent wise as an NHL scorer as a 30 goal guy.

If he gets his confidence back maybe worth a swap to the Penguins for a guy like Kasperi Kapanen coming back.

He gets slower by the game.  I havent seen him carry a puck or drive a play in almost a year and a half.  Hes too easy to knock off a puck and hes not fast enough to evade defenders. 

• Cheers 1

On 11/28/2021 at 2:05 AM, N4ZZY said:

Boeser isnt worth a blue chip anything.

Look at his salary and look at how little he does despute being given more opportunity than any other winger.

3 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

He is not worth that QO.

If gmjb can get kapanen for Boeser he needs to take it n run. 

Kapanen has pure skill, speed and a compete level this team needs.  

• Vintage 1

On 11/29/2021 at 3:08 PM, HKSR said:

You simply don't sell low unless you're buying low ... Barzal for Petey makes sense.  Selling low and buying low. 

Moving JT Miller makes sense as that would be selling him high.

Moving Boeser right now makes zero sense.  He's worth way less than normal right now.  His production is down, and he's on the last year of an RFA contract with a high qualifying offer. 

You don't honestly think NYI would give that deal even a seconds consideration do you?

Imo, if you can dangle Boeser for Kane and SJ 2022 first, you take a serious look at it.  I get its a massive risk in the dressing room, but that's the best Value you're going to get for Boes at this point.  I don't see anyway you're getting anything but a 4/5/6 damn for him, given his performance and salary.

Kane is a huge upgrade on the right side and provides a lot of what the team is missing

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Imo, if you can dangle Boeser for Kane and SJ 2022 first, you take a serious look at it.  I get its a massive risk in the dressing room, but that's the best Value you're going to get for Boes at this point.  I don't see anyway you're getting anything but a 4/5/6 damn for him, given his performance and salary.

Kane is a huge upgrade on the right side and provides a lot of what the team is missing

He’s a bad bet. 

• Cheers 2

I get that there's people who are eager to defend Green at every turn, but let's swap out the defense for Green and use it on Benning. Sound familiar? People will call those people Benning bros.

Green defenders, likewise, are unable or unwilling to find faults in Green, EVEN THOUGH there's a big enough sample to criticize/nitpick on. The absence of criticism should make one wonder if they're intentionally biased, or unintentionally.

Critical thinking is an important skill, and the complete absence of it will result in us voting in bad people in office.