The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Boeser On Block

Podzilla

2 minutes ago, tas said:

and he has been. case closed. 

Sure he's stronger on the puck and and better defensively but his overall offensive game has taken a hit. Playmaking is mediocre and shot doesn't have the same velocity or accuracy and the release is slow. I recall a few games back vs Seattle where he was cruising down the right wing and had a point blank chance, rookie year Brock would've buried that, now it's going right into the crest. 

On 3/7/2022 at 4:17 PM, NUCKER67 said:

With Brock set to receive $7.5 (his QA), could this actually lessen the return? Another team picking him up has to pay his hefty salary.

Is it possible the Canucks don't get as much as we're hoping in a Boeser trade?

to NJ for Zacha and Bahl

?? seems underwhelming

His contract won't be starting 7.5m.  Brock and Canucks both know that that figure is too high and will create a contract

that will be adjusted to his present situation.

Brock is a RW sniper, which what the Devils are looking for. Zacha is neither a sniper or a RW and that is why they

are trying to trade him.

Brock to Devils      Sherangovich + Walsh to Van

2 minutes ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Sure he's stronger on the puck and and better defensively but his overall offensive game has taken a hit. Playmaking is mediocre and shot doesn't have the same velocity or accuracy and the release is slow. I recall a few games back vs Seattle where he was cruising down the right wing and had a point blank chance, rookie year Brock would've buried that, now it's going right into the crest. 

maybe you should have become the pro hockey player instead so you could show him how it's done.  

5 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Players have good seasons and bad seasons. You can't expect a player to constantly stay at the exact same pace or better every season. Every player has their ups and downs, but looking at the overall picture Brock has been very consistent in terms of production, only really hitting a wall this year. I might have been a bit more willing to say that he was regressing had he not had arguably his best season last year.

Overall this season is far more of an outlier for him in terms of production than any of his previous seasons, which leaves me to believe that this year is likely an anomaly.

Yes agreed. I'm not expecting every year to be good but was expecting to see some improvement as ages 22-25 is usually huge in terms of player development. 

I understand this year is likely an anomaly but the eye test doesn't look good either as he's lost foot speed likely due to putting on 20lbs also his shot which was his greatest asset doesn't have the same velocity or accuracy and the release is slow. 

(ex. a few games back vs Seattle where he was cruising down the right wing and had a point blank chance, rookie year Brock would've buried that, now it's going right into the crest.)

1 hour ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Strong on the puck and good defensively?  What in the blue hell are ppl here watching?  Are you ppl just making these blind comments hoping everyone else is stupid enough to believe it? 

2 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Strong on the puck and good defensively?  What in the blue hell are ppl here watching?  Are you ppl just making these blind comments hoping everyone else is stupid enough to believe it? 

We’re not talking about Marner or Nylander; two players known for being marshmallows.  Boeser is one of the top players in the league for winning board battles.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

His contract won't be starting 7.5m.  Brock and Canucks both know that that figure is too high and will create a contract

that will be adjusted to his present situation.

Brock is a RW sniper, which what the Devils are looking for. Zacha is neither a sniper or a RW and that is why they

are trying to trade him.

Brock to Devils      Sherangovich + Walsh to Van

Don't see NJD giving up Sharangovich for Boeser - beats the purpose of trading for Boeser as it just creates another hole in their top-6.  Sharangovich has even been more productive than Boeser at EV while Boeser is getting a large chunk of his points on the PP.  Very similar production overall this season.  

After their 5-3 win over Colorado, Lindy Ruff is praising the team for out-skating them all game.  I find surprising that Boeser is of interest when NJD is so much about skating speed. 

Edited by mll

4 hours ago, Me_ said:

Again, and again again, Schenn is the perfect partner for Hughes.

Schenn is very close to the Hughes family from his time in Toronto when the Hughes brothers were hanging out with the Leafs.

A stay at home defenseman, Schenn is ideal for Hughes to skate circles around the opposition. Schenn also give massive confidence to Hughes, and therefore the entire team.

Remember the years Schenn was in Tampa Bay. Hughes basically was getting rag dolled. 

Schenn comes back and Hughes stars for the Canucks again.

No other player is better to play with Hughes than 5OA08 Luke Schenn, especially at his salary.

Not everything is about points and analytics.

The issue with Schenn is that he's unlikely to be a long term option. He just turned 32 in November so he'll be 33 before next season is even half over. If we re-sign him, and it'll likely be an option, he should likely expect a raise if he maintains his current level of play. He's great bang for buck right now, no question. 

There's also the question of the eventual age related decline, when does it happen and what does that look like? 

This isn't so say Schenn will fall off a cliff, given his game has always been a defensive first and physical brand of hockey, but how long can he play top four minutes alongside Hughes? Almost all players see a degree of decline as they get further into their 30's, whether that's foot speed or something else. 

Schenn is fine in that role right now, but we should absolutely be looking to improve on him as far as partners for Hughes go. He was a bottom pairing guy in Tampa, it's telling that's he's been playing top four for us. 

It's why trying to find that partner as part of a return for either Boeser or Miller is so important. With Schenn and Hamonic expiring after next season, and Myers the season after we've got some things to figure out regarding our top four. 

6 hours ago, Ferlands_Head said:

Yes agreed. I'm not expecting every year to be good but was expecting to see some improvement as ages 22-25 is usually huge in terms of player development. 

I understand this year is likely an anomaly but the eye test doesn't look good either as he's lost foot speed likely due to putting on 20lbs also his shot which was his greatest asset doesn't have the same velocity or accuracy and the release is slow. 

(ex. a few games back vs Seattle where he was cruising down the right wing and had a point blank chance, rookie year Brock would've buried that, now it's going right into the crest.)

He entered the league as a near PPG top line player. How much better did you realistically expect him to get?

19 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

He entered the league as a near PPG top line player. How much better did you realistically expect him to get?

Not gonna lie after that rookie year I really thought he would be a 40 goal guy. 

Realistically I at least thought he would improve on his rookie season and not just plateau. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sounds like the return will need to include a good, young D.  My guess, with OEL and Hughes taking up the top two LD spots, they'll be looking for a RD for Quinn. 

* my preference:

(RD) Justin Barron - COL

(RD) Andrew Peeke - CBJ

(LD/RD) Jake Bean - CBJ

(RD) Sean Durzi - LA

(RD) Brandt Clarke - LA (highly doubtful) *
(RD) Helge Grans - LA

(LD/RD) Ty Smith - NJ

(RD) Braden Schneider - NYR (highly doubtful) *

(RD) Nils Lundkvist - NYR *

(RD) John Marino - PIT (highly doubtful) *

(RD) Timothy Liljegren - TOR *

(LD/RD) Travis Dermott - TOR

(LD/RD) Rasmus Sandin - TOR

Other LDs they could target, if Quinn plays the right side

(LD) Bowen Byram - COL

(LD) Carson Lambos - MIN

(LD) Shakir Mulkhamadullin - NJ

(LD) K'Andre Miller - NYR

(LD) Pierre-Olivier Joseph - PIT

(LD) Martin Fehervary - WAS

Honestly I could see The canucks getting Cale Foote as the Young D with top 4 D potential. Foote is a healthy scratch a lot of the time in Tampa because their D is so strong. I think in the playoffs Tampa would rather have leadership like Schenn. 

To Van: 

Cale Foote

To Tampa:

Luke Schenn

works for both teams and the cap works out. 

10 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Players have good seasons and bad seasons. You can't expect a player to constantly stay at the exact same pace or better every season. Every player has their ups and downs, but looking at the overall picture Brock has been very consistent in terms of production, only really hitting a wall this year. I might have been a bit more willing to say that he was regressing had he not had arguably his best season last year.

Overall this season is far more of an outlier for him in terms of production than any of his previous seasons, which leaves me to believe that this year is likely an anomaly.

His best season was last year.   The other "stars" on the team were struggling.  Miller was on full pout mode and refused to stop passing the puck infront of our net, when the rest of the team settled down and stopped doing that a dozen or so games before covid.   Brock was also the 12th best forward in the entire league with puck battles along the boards (they track everything these days lol), best on our entire team by a fair margin as well...Brock back checks, and has had that drilled into him since his rookie season when he really did not.     Was visibly noticeable during the playoffs working harder then most of our vets (Pearson and TT) doing this.    This year?   Not at all his best.   Last Brock i'd say was our MVP.   Demko was off and on, Holtby a mistake ... Miller was Miller - but was like i said, making bad decisions with the puck.   Brock is a very good passer which often doesn't come up.   We are lucky to have him, it's simply a cap thing now.    Garland absolutely would help alleviate a trade and think Brock is playing himself into one - JB final gift to us is losing a former Calder finalist.    Most years he would have won it as well. 

Edit: That "gift" of course is cap space motivated - and to help fill up our pool again. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Not directly related to Boeser rumors but Dhali speculates Pittsburgh wants Boeser.

AGM Clancy was in Pittsburgh

Canucks potentially eyeing Marino and Rodrigues.

If it's Boeser for Marino+Rodriguez, I'm in.  I'd do it without blinking if it was Marino+Kapanen.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Bringing in Marino and Rodrigues would be a good move, real good. If Allvin can get both for Brock, he's off to a great start

No to Rodrigues. We need to get younger. I get the Boeser for Marino who is cap controlled but the additional pieces need to be picks and prospects or a younger roster player. Not 28 yr olds having career years. Never scored more than 10 in a season before this year.. No thanks. I'd get behind a Kapanen and Marino for Boeser trade tho...

We get a RHD and a speedy middle 6 player.

Edited by Outsiders
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1