The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Green to be Fired

Rate this topic

Me_

9 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Hey Alf, hope your in a better mood...after last game and you calling Demko a scrub basically I was ready for you to take a leave and go back to HF...don't want to have to block you but you were spewing some pretty stupid stuff after last game. If you think this is on Demko, you might as well stop watching Canucks game and go become a Kraken fan or something!

Block him if you have a problem, or take yourself to HF

Let’s be honest, while he has been playing ok-good, how many games has Demko stolen us?   NONE

EVERYONE on the team deserves criticism.  

The game winning goal against Columbus was totally bogus and Demko wasn’t even close.     Should have that save 9.5 time out of 10. 

It’s rough times and showing no signs of getting better.  
Negative criticisms are going to fly, and they should!       Get used to it. 

At least @Alflivesdoes it with a smile.  

Edited by D.B Cooper
  • Like 1
  • Wat 2
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

41 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Start FRESH in my opinion, New GM does an extensive coaching search while Shaw has an interim tag for likely the rest of the year to see who comes available in the off season. If this happened for me as a fan, I can see a fresh slate across the board and will accept however the rest of the season goes. 

If either Coach of GM makes it the full calendar year, I will be disappointed and may not watch some of the games to finish the year off...sad statement to make I know right

Lol I already have tuned out most games. Or I'll start watching and eventually change the channel.

They are the worst team in the league right now by far as far as the eye test. The standings don't show that cause demko has stolen some games.

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

So does the new coach need to be a fairly recent Cup winner?? Or are we STILL trying to find the NEXT John Cooper minor league coach who might become a cup winner? Whoever the NEW Coach is, they need to build a strategy around the guys we have and put them in the Best position to succeed. Hopefully we get a NEW GM as well and he can help assemble a more balanced lineup for the NEW Coach

agreed! apparently julien is our for front! for coach duties! i just had nightmares last night! deja vu lolol! something gotta give! cause this teams needs all the help we can get! New GM and myb some new defence! starting with pearson and myers. trade garland too lol. 

1 hour ago, KnuckleHead16 said:

agreed! apparently julien is our for front! for coach duties! i just had nightmares last night! deja vu lolol! something gotta give! cause this teams needs all the help we can get! New GM and myb some new defence! starting with pearson and myers. trade garland too lol. 

Sure Julien comes in ... because last time Messier sure worked out with Keenan... maybe we should get Bergeron in too but when he arrives just skates fast circles and becomes a shadow of himself.   Déjà vu for sure. 

Edit:  Actually instead why don't we just get Keenan back and Messier.   Might as well.   And change the uniforms again this time into the "Seals of Surrey".   

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

Let’s be honest, while he has been playing ok-good, how many games has Demko stolen us?   NONE

The game winning goal against Columbus was totally bogus and Demko wasn’t even close.     Should have that save 9.5 time out of 10. 

To bring this back to Green, look at how many starts Demko has so far. Green is riding him way too much. Halak is capable. Heck, pull Demko one game to light a fire under the players. Green has no idea how to coach. He has no answers except to play Demko cause we need a win. Hey, Green, maybe if you didn't ride him so much we would have more wins?

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

To bring this back to Green, look at how many starts Demko has so far. Green is riding him way too much. Halak is capable.

If Halak plays too many games, his bonus clauses will kick in and that will cause a hit to next years salary cap.

An additional hit of $1.5 mill next year if Halak plays 10 or more games.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/jaroslav-halak

He also has a $250,000 bonus for a save % of .905 or better.

Edited by gurn

3 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Do people really think in today's world of technology ie cell phones and a coach like Babcock who took a hit to his reputation would really go and coach players again even if it is some lousy Canadian University team and still Mr. Babcock would lament players and not think that could possibly get leaked...he would NOT do something like that if he wanted back into the NHL in my opinion.

Also, who is going to empty a Brinks truck for a coach who got Fired for that sort of thing...is coaching asking salary has taken a big hit in my opinion. I could see him taking a short term contract to show everyone he has changed or that the players buy in to his system etc then cash in a bit more on his 2nd deal. But, that is purely just speculation on my part.

I mean come on now people...how much $ can Saskatchewan really be able to pay him...I know he is still getting Laffs $$$ so he could be doing it for free and the love of the game!?

Not sure why you're dumping on the U of S, its a good school, but besides that this is a bit of revisionist history. Bab's got fired because of playoff disappointment, a bad start and he lost the room. All the rest of the whinging that come out later was, well, pretty whiney stuff.

Babcock would be a big upgrade on Green, there's no doubt about that.

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

Not sure why you're dumping on the U of S, its a good school, but besides that this is a bit of revisionist history. Bab's got fired because of playoff disappointment, a bad start and he lost the room. All the rest of the whinging that come out later was, well, pretty whiney stuff.

Babcock would be a big upgrade on Green, there's no doubt about that.

And it is his alma mater I do believe. 

1 minute ago, Gnarcore said:

And it is his alma mater I do believe. 

outside of a bad scene with Franzen, I'm not sure Mike was all that different from any other old school coach. Would I want him making Petey cry on the bench? no, but I would think Bab's has learned something if he's actually being talked to and considered. It would be pretty clear from speaking to him a few times if he's willing to tone it down or use different motivational methods.

He's not my #1 choice, but I just don't want to see any more of the current group.

• Cheers 2

On 11/27/2021 at 9:49 AM, Odd. said:

Boudreau talked about how he’d love to coach in a Canadian market and wouldn’t pass up on the opportunity to coach in Vancouver.

He says watches the Canucks and every chance he gets and thinks this team has the skill to do well but for whatever reason there may or may not be a disconnect between coaching staff and players. 

He’s also a great spoken guy and is hilarious. Take a listen:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/peoples-show/

Don't get my damn hopes up! 

15 hours ago, Me_ said:

1,301 games coached

700W - 418L record .608 wining percentage.

Triple Gold Club

As of November 2021, he is the only coach to gain entry to the Triple Gold Club (Stanley Cup title, IIHF World Championship title, and Olympic gold medal in men's ice hockey). He guided the Red Wings to the Stanley Cup in 2008; he led Team Canada to gold at the IIHF Ice Hockey World Championships in 2004; and he led Team Canada to gold at both the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, and the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. Babcock is the only coach to win six distinct national or international titles. In addition to the three distinct titles described above, he guided Canada to gold at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey, to gold at the IIHF World Junior Championships in 1997, and the University of Lethbridge to the CIS University Cup in 1994. During his professional coaching tenure from 1991–2019, Babcock's teams only missed the post-season four times.”

Mike Babcock - Wikipedia

If you think you get to his level of success  without screaming at a few people along the way, especially Leafs players, you’re highly mistaken. 

This is one of the best post of the year. If I could give you a hundred vintage awards, I would. 

#firegreen

#hirebabs

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, D.B Cooper said:

cool story bro

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

To bring this back to Green, look at how many starts Demko has so far. Green is riding him way too much. Halak is capable. Heck, pull Demko one game to light a fire under the players. Green has no idea how to coach. He has no answers except to play Demko cause we need a win. Hey, Green, maybe if you didn't ride him so much we would have more wins?

Good point. If I had to guess I'd say Green is hesitant to give Halak a start in the middle of a losing streak. Imagine the criticism if Jaro got lit up....

As far as the coaching change goes, I've stayed out of it, because people just get too emotional. (and, IMO, too irrational) I've come to the point where I don't think the team has a choice....they have to make a change.

I honestly don't believe that the team's struggles are necessarily a result of poor coaching, (although the PK might be an exception) but as the saying goes, you can't fire all of the players. The whole thing has kind of snowballed and now it's in the players' heads. Management needs to show the players that they recognize the issue and the way to do that is to make coaching changes. Although in my experience change it's rarely a permanent situation, a coaching change often gives the players a boost.

It would also be nice to get the occasional break....I have a hard time remembering a team that had this kind of luck. Case in point: The game against the Hawks. 5 goal posts and they lose on an average point shot that had eyes....That's the way the Hockey Gods operate sometimes....you're looking for them to throw you a bone and they throw you an anchor instead.

In any event, the team needs something to change the culture in the room. I can't think of anything other than a new coach that can be done relatively easily....